• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Kim Stanley's 2312. A sci-fi novel where humanity lives all over the solar system.

Just finished 'Post Office' & 'Ham On Rye' by Bukowski.
P.O. was good, but a bit rough-and-ready (his first novel I think), but Ham was awesome (imho) - reminded me a bit of my young years :confused:

A few years ago I was into Cormac McCarthy and read most of his work. Absolutely loved his cowboy novels (nothing like your normal western) also 'No Country For Old Men', 'The Road' (an American classic I think), 'The Sunset Limited' (brilliant). I stopped reading his stuff when I got half-way through 'Suttre' - might just be the worst novel ever written (again imho). I still haven't finished that book o_O

'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' by Hunter S. Thompson is a terrific read.

For some reason I prefer the darker stuff.

I only read The Road, but it piqued my interest in McCarthy.

Kim Stanley's 2312. A sci-fi novel where humanity lives all over the solar system.

I only read The Road, but it piqued my interest in McCarthy.

I used to read 'only' sci-fi when in my late teens/early twenties, but not much since. I might take a look at 2312.

image.jpg On The Move ~ A Life, by Oliver Sacks
And for afters,
Norwegian by Night, by Derek B. Miller

Still slogging my way through 1Q84 (DAMN, that book is long!) and I also discovered an app that lets you stream audiobooks from Librivox for free. I've been listening to Moby Dick and the narrator is actually pretty good! I'd forgotten how incredibly funny some of the beginning of the book is.

Now reading:
Golddigger by Alexia Bohwin

Just read:
On the Road by Kerouak

Also in progress:
Theodore Roosevelt: An Autobiography by TR

Got myself one of those trial Audible.com subscriptions and I'm listening to NeuroTribes, and I'm enjoying it very much (if it's not already there, I'll probably post it in the Resources section when I finish it).

Got myself one of those trial Audible.com subscriptions and I'm listening to NeuroTribes, and I'm enjoying it very much (if it's not already there, I'll probably post it in the Resources section when I finish it).

I've been thinking about getting one of those Audible subscriptions. Taking the car instead of the train is nice, but I do miss being able to read while traveling. For now I have a free app on the ipad, aptly named 'Audiobooks', which gives access to the Librivox library. I've been listening to Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass on that.

I finally got NeuroTribes too, as an ebook. It's next on the list, once I've finished This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which I'm reading now (on paper and the ipad). I'm very much enjoying it. The story is straightforward, but the language is just mmm.

As I'm promoting apps here: I really like Marvin as my e-reader app. When I first got the ipad I tried a lot of them and this one stuck around. Don't remember why exactly, but it does have built-in support for downloading public domain books from Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks and the Internet Archive, which is nice if you're into old books, but want to keep reading once the lights go out.

I've been thinking about getting one of those Audible subscriptions. Taking the car instead of the train is nice, but I do miss being able to read while traveling. For now I have a free app on the ipad, aptly named 'Audiobooks', which gives access to the Librivox library. I've been listening to Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass on that.

I finally got NeuroTribes too, as an ebook. It's next on the list, once I've finished This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald, which I'm reading now (on paper and the ipad). I'm very much enjoying it. The story is straightforward, but the language is just mmm.

As I'm promoting apps here: I really like Marvin as my e-reader app. When I first got the ipad I tried a lot of them and this one stuck around. Don't remember why exactly, but it does have built-in support for downloading public domain books from Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks and the Internet Archive, which is nice if you're into old books, but want to keep reading once the lights go out.
I have that app, Audiobooks, and yes, it is wonderful. There's actually an excellent reading of Moby Dick that I highly recommend. I spend over 2 hours on the road every day, which gives me plenty of time for podcasts and other audio goodies (I never listen to music in the car), and it's pretty much the only free time I have, since I study and fulfill other various obligations almost every waking minute. I'm thinking I might actually keep my subscription, cancel a couple of others (I'm a supporter of someone on Patreon and there's one or two others) and pay the US$14.99 fee. I love it. There are so many books I want to read but I simply don't have the time these days.

I finally got NeuroTribes too, as an ebook.
It's quite good and extremely well-written and I actually learned quite a lot...Hans Asperger seems like a pretty cool dude. He does not take kindly to autism "charities," like Autism Speaks and others that are/were even more abhorrent, with the exception of groups like ASAN. I must warn, the book is quite depressing at times.

It's quite good and extremely well-written and I actually learned quite a lot...Hans Asperger seems like a pretty cool dude. He does not take kindly to autism "charities," like Autism Speaks and others that are/were even more abhorrent, with the exception of groups like ASAN. I must warn, the book is quite depressing at times.
I haven't come across the depressing bits, apart from that there seems to be a clear outline already on how environment and 'luck' can make the difference between a good life and the proverbial being locked away in Bedlam.
I'm only on chapter two now, and I'm liking that Leo the green straw dude. Reminds me of how every time we'd visit a McDonalds, I'd go mad at the straw dispenser. I liked the straws, and I'd always return with a pocket full of them (any place with free stuff like that would get raided basically) but I suppose the main problem'd be me tapping that thing until the straws were everywhere. I want one, now, for here, to make it rain, with straws :)
image.jpg

Sometimes we'd go to Pizza Hut instead, perhaps to avoid the straw incidents, but there I'd always raid the salad bar for their croutons. It'd be all I ate there, apart from maybe a bite or two out of a slice of my parents' pizza. Just a small plate and a pyramid of croutons, and then another one. I never liked the ones from other places too, those were be full on bleh :rolleyes:
Anyway, I digress.

Reading/browsing through The Adventure Time Encyclopaedia.

"Written by the Lord of Evil Himself, Hunson Abadeer (a.k.a. Marceline the Vampire Queen's dad), to instruct and confound the demonic citizenry of the Nightosphere, the adventure time encyclopaedia is perhaps the most dangerous book in history. Although seemingly a guidebook to the Land of Ooo and its postapocalyptic inhabitants, it is in fact an amusing nightmare of literary pitfalls, bombastic brain-boggles, and ancient texts designed to drive the reader mad."

That sounds pretty good already, but it's actually even better :)

Image-1.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom