• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Re: Whats everyone reading now and/or read lately

Sound of the Beast by Ian Christe. A nearly complete and seamless, but somewhat biased, history of all forms of heavy metal. He'll touch all the subgenres of metal but mostly focuses on Metallica and the black metal scenes/bands. It's a shame really, so many unaccounted for bands that played a major role in the underground of American and European metal music and culture.

For about a year, I've been reading almost nothing but physics/astronomy/mathematics books. I'm starting to actually run out of interesting topics (that don't require formal study, or massively expensive textbooks). I think when my stack is up, I'll try going the philosophy/sociology route, and maybe try and add some literature into it.

I really have to be in a mood to read.

Recently I'm reading up on a lot of stuff on design. What makes a design a good design, what is a bad design, what are design flaws, stuff like that. I think it's for a big part the same stuff that's on the literature list for anyone who's in some kind of design/art college. Along those same lines I've read a lot of stuff on "how to write"... not neccesarily "self-help" books, but more like I said... probably recommended reading for anyone in uni.

Besides that I do a book here and there about random facts/history. A few months ago I read a book about how the US states got their shapes, that was a pretty funny read through and I think even more because I never really cared for US geography (probably because I'm not from the US).

And I do read up on some philosophy every now and then. I do prefer "applied philosophy" instead of just reading a book by philosopher x or y. Recently I read a book about philosophy and which applies it to Batman. Currently I'm reading up on one that takes the Terminator movies as a premise, to discuss stuff like "what makes a human a human" and "what if a machine mimics a human, is it still a machine?".. stuff like that. There's an entire series of book of those (that take movies/books and apply philosophy called; pop culture and philosophy. If I'm correct), I've read quite a lot of them already. In between that book about machines I'm reading a similar book about X-men... which actually is funny, because it deals about stuff like "what is normal?" and does to some extent apply to being on the spectrum (albeit not that extreme like those superheroes).

As for literature... there's a couple of writers I do love and will read anything new from. Chuck Palahniuk is probably my favorite. Then comes Philip K. Dick (which doesn't do any new books, but I haven't read everything by him).

And if I'm not reading a book, I'm probably reading a comic (or a bunch of a specific series).

But I don't read everyday though.

Starting this trilogy soon:

51Cmy-8iaXL._bL160_.jpg

A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA: The windswept isles of Earthsea were famous for wizards, and the greatest of all was Ged, called Sparrowhawk in his reckless youth. Hungry for power and knowledge, Sparrowhawk tampered with long-held secrets and loosed a terrible shadow upon the world. This is the tale of his testing, how he mastered the mighty words of power, tamed an ancient dragon and crossed deaths threshold to restore the balance.

THE TOMBS OF ATUAN: Chosen to serve the Ancient and Nameless Powers of the Earth, Tenar is taken away from her home and family to become Arha, the Priestess Ever Reborn, guardian of the ominous Tombs of Atuan. While learning her way through the gloomy Labyrinth that is her domain, she encounters Ged, a wizard come to steal the Tombs greatest treasure. But Ged also brings with him the light of magic, a light as forbidden in the Tombs as wizards are in the Kargad Lands....

THE FARTHEST SHORE: Ill-tidings have arrived on the Isle of the Wise: The springs of wizardry are drying up. Driven to seek the source of the trouble, Archmage Ged embarks on a perilous journey with the boy-prince, Arren. Their travels take them to a land cursed with a strange soul sickness, to an encounter with Orm Embar, the greatest of the worlds dragons, and into the realm of death itself. For if the balance of magic is not restored, darkness will overtake the world.

Makus Zusak - The Book Thief

Next is...

Frank Herbert - Hellstrom's Hive (Again! Got a new copy off the net, had to kiss the old, damaged one goodbye)

88_large5.jpg

The End of the Story is the first in a five-volume set collecting the definitive texts of Clark Ashton Smith's fantasy, science fiction, and horror. Edited by Scott Connors and Ron Hilger, who have put together a definitive set of texts based on Smith's notes, manuscripts, and letters. Endorsed by Arkham House and authorized by Smith's estate, this is the edition for any self-respecting Clark Ashton Smith fan.

Contents:

* Introduction by Ramsey Campbell
* A Note on the Texts

* The Abominations of Yondo
* Sadastor
* The Ninth Skeleton
* The Last Incantation
* The End of the Story
* The Phantoms of the Fire
* A Night in Malne?nt
* The Resurrection of the Rattlesnake
* Thirteen Phantasms
* The Venus of Azombeii
* The Tale of Satampra Zeiros
* The Monster of the Prophecy
* The Metamorphosis of the World
* The Epiphany of Death
* A Murder in the Fourth Dimension
* The Devotee of Evil
* The Satyr
* The Planet of the Dead
* The Uncharted Isle
* Marooned in Andromeda
* The Necromantic Tale
* The Immeasurable Horror
* A Voyage to Sfanom?e

Then the rest of the volumes from the Collected Fantasies set:

89_large5.jpg
90_large5.jpg
91_large5.jpg

92_large5.jpg

LMAO . . . nice. A Night in Malne?n t got changed to A Night in Malne?neurotypical.

:D

LMAO . . . nice. A Night in Malne?n t got changed to A Night in Malne?neurotypical.

:D

I had neurotypical randomly crop itself into one of my posts also, this site itself must be on the spectrum ; ]

Taking a break from fiction to read this:

Onwriting.jpg

The first section of the book is an autobiography mainly concerning King's early exposure to fiction and his childhood attempts at writing. He describes his early attempts to get published, his success with his first novel Carrie, and his subsequent development as an extremely popular author. King also discusses his problems with drugs and alcohol.

The second section is practical advice on writing, from tips on grammar to ideas about developing plot and character. King describes it as a guide for how "a competent writer can become a good one." He stresses his beliefs that a writer should edit out unnecessary details and avoid the use of unnecessary adverbs.

The third section is also autobiographical, in which he discusses the 1999 automobile accident in which the writer was struck by a vehicle while walking down an isolated country road. King describes serious injuries, his painful recovery and his struggle to start writing again.

King also includes part of a rough draft and an edited draft of his own story entitled "1408".

In the United Kingdom paperback version, a short story by Garret Adams entitled "Jumper" was included at the end of the book, which was the winner of the On Writing competition.

Just started Dale Brown's Shadow Command......Rogue Forces up after that, then Tom Clancy's latest, LOCKED ON. Figure that'll cover a couple of months, at least.

Pretty good technique. In order to use it you do have to accept a possibility of existence of a soul, higher beings and a universal "information" field, things like that. This system seems to be more structured than other ones aiming for the same results. The author doesn't overwhelm readers with her personal experiences and opinions either, which is good, you can always speed read through them or even skip them, just the way I like it. I've been working with similar meditation techniques before, but so far this one seems to be simpler and more straight forward, without too many restrictions.

View attachment 2162

decided not to post it until I actually finished the book :) It took me only 2 days to read it, which is surprisingly quick for me :)

Last edited:
12310_74298_1_lg.jpg

The book tells the story of Skafloc Half-elf, son of Orm the Strong. The story begins with the marriage of Orm the Strong and Aelfrida of the English. Orm kills a witch's family on the land, and later half-converts to a Christian, but quarrels with the local priest and sends him off the land. Meanwhile, an elf, Imric, seeks out the witch to capture the son of Orm, Valgard. In his place he leaves a changeling called Valgard. The real Valgard is taken away to elven lands and named Skafloc by the elves. He grows up among the fairies there. Later, he has a significant part in a war against the trolls.

Currently reading Mad Ship by Robin Hobb. It's phenomenal epic fantasy, and I'm loving it a lot. The nice thing about Robin Hobb is that she writes many books in the same universe (so far she has 3 trilogies set in the same universe) so if you like what you're read, you've got plenty of more books to keep the fun rolling.

It appears to me that you read a lot, how many books per week do you read? And... do you write?

To be honest, I don't read that often. I do a lot more book buying than book reading. :D

I know some people who read two books a week; I don't read anything near that amount. The internet is a far too much of a distraction. If I didn't have a computer with internet access, I'd be reading far more often.

And no. I don't write.

To be honest, I don't read that often. I do a lot more book buying than book reading. :D

I know some people who read two books a week; I don't read anything near that amount. The internet is a far too much of a distraction. If I didn't have a computer with internet access, I'd be reading far more often.

And no. I don't write.

...that's too bad :) I actually wouldn't mind reading 2 books a week... I wish I was a little more educated, so I could have smart conversations with people :D but seriously... it's true ... oh, look monkeys :smileM: :D

...that's too bad :) I actually wouldn't mind reading 2 books a week... I wish I was a little more educated, so I could have smart conversations with people :D but seriously... it's true ... oh, look monkeys :smileM: :D

Neither would I mind reading 2 a week, but there's only X amount of hours in a day. Besides, at least for me, I have to be in a mood to read, I can't just sit anywhere and grab a book. Yeah, and then there's the noise thing. I read more at night than during the day for such reasons.

Just at the moment I am rereading;
"Hellstrom's Hive" by Frank Herbert ; ]

Thats what I read in the quiet moments at work, at home I am just finishing;
"Halo Evolutions - Essential Tales Of The Halo Universe Volume II"

Gonna be starting (the first annotated edition of) The Hobbit soon:

48382.jpg

For readers around the globe, The Hobbit serves as an introduction to the enchanting world of Middle-earth, home of elves, wizards, dwarves, goblins, dragons, orcs, and a host of other creatures depicted in The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion - tales that sprang from the mind of the most beloved author of all time, J. R. R. Tolkien. Newly expanded and completely redesigned, Douglas A. Anderson's The Annotated Hobbit is the definitive explication of the sources, characters, places, and things of J. R. R. Tolkien's timeless classic. Integrated with Anderson's notes and placed alongside the fully restored and corrected text of the original story are more than 150 illustrations showing visual interpretations of The Hobbit specific to many of the cultures that have come to know and love Middle-earth. Tolkien's original line drawings, maps, and color paintings are also included, making this the most informative edition of The Hobbit available.

There are two types of books that suck on E-readers: Books with lots of annotations, and books with lots of illustrations. The Annotated Hobbit has a lot of both.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom