• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

That's AWESOME! And graphic.

Shoooot, And Android Karenina only has like, 14 greyscale illustrations in it! Pretty paltry for a Tolstoy sized book.

Business for Aspies: 42 Best Practices for Using Asperger Syndrome Traits at Work Successfully by Ashley Stanford

I've only just started this book, but it seems pretty good so far.

I haven't got as much concentration at the moment to read so I've got a few half read books; the most notable would be Lermontov's A Hero for our Time, and I've started Unal Ali's translation of the Quran (Sunni Perspective).

I know Aspies can do business. Say 'no' to naysayers in the form of parents, skeptics, etc

But I am just a friendly guy who knows and feels for Aspies, so...

I just read some book on the Chicago School of Economics. If there is a mecca and Rome and Athens for the real economists and social scientists of the world, head to Chicago. For technology buffs, there's always Caltech anyway

867.jpg

The fantastic quests and adventures of Cugel, the greatest rogue in the realms of fantasy.

For the second time, Cugel the Clever has been carried north over the Ocean of Sighs and dumped half a world away from home, on Shanglestone Strand. Swearing revenge on the Laughing Magician, Cugel sets off through mud pits and bars, through villages, manor houses and across the seas. At last, after many an extraordinary adventure, he comes once more to the land of Almery and the chance to exact the vengeance he craves.

These Dying Earth books are so good that I'm forcing myself to read them slowly so that I can savor them; I never want them to end.

I'll be starting this right away:

Rhialto-the-Marvellous.jpg

A brief “Foreword” sketches out Rhialto and his fellow magicians, setting the stage for their adventures as the sun slowly burns out. While all know spells, they also command various sandestins, who are fabulously powerful, capricious beings bound to the magicians who perform any number of tasks for them in order that they may be eventually set free.

“The Murthe” is the first short story of the collection. A visitor from the past comes to warn the magicians that a literal war of the sexes is upon them. A powerful female witch from the past has decided to transform the all-male magicians into women so that they will become female witches under her control. All but two of these eccentric magicians — Rhialto and his friend Ildefonse — are transformed into women and these last two male holdouts must stop the plot. Some fun commentary on gender relations here.

“Fader’s Waft” is a novella, and takes up most of the word count of the collection. Rhialto has most of his magical powers taken from him by his fellow scheming magicians and must travel to the past to recover an artifact that will aid him in restoring his power, aided only by his own native cunning and an extremely unreliable sandestin. Time travel plays an extremely important role in this story, as each of the magicians has the ability to stop time (for everyone but himself) — now think about how complicated that makes debates and votes between the men! — and, of course, both Rhialto and his rivals and servants can all travel to the distant past, so there are many time-related schemes going on here. It is also extremely amusing reading Rhialto’s frustrations in dealing with his sandestin servant who is doing its best to follow Rhialto’s orders to the letter and nothing more.

“Morreion” is the final short story of the collection. Here, the magicians travel to the end of the universe — an actual wall, as it turns out — to find one of their long-missing fellow magicians. Of course, none of them actually care about this poor fellow, but they suspect that he may know the location of the mysterious IOUN stones, which they all prize. Lots of fun and scheming by rival, extremely powerful wizards.

Rhialto’s personality is sparsely sketched: we know he is extremely powerful, cunning, and a bit of a rogue. That’s probably all we need. Suffice it to say that the power level and concerns are ramped up considerably over those in previous Dying Earth tales. While we don’t see any of the previous characters from the other Dying Earth books appear here, the setting of the Dying Earth is extremely important to the tone and plot of the stories. In some ways, I get the impression that the Rhialto stories are set much later in time than, say, the Cugel stories, though it’s unclear if that’s actually the case. I also suspect that the three tales here may be set temporally some distance apart, as Rhialto has different servants in each, and his relationship with his fellow magicians clearly changes between the stories.

tumblr_ljnycpKrfn1qh5ofz.jpg

I got some new books, but I'll save them for my plane ride. (and the freakin' 6-hour layover I have in Houston....ugh).
Probably post those before I leave, though.
:)

Currently alternating between Nightmare Movies by Kim Newman (a gigantic book about horror cinema from the 60s to the present) and various comic books.

I got some new books, but I'll save them for my plane ride. (and the freakin' 6-hour layover I have in Houston....ugh).
Probably post those before I leave, though.

I always like listening to audiobooks on plane or car trips, preferably something kind of light and silly. I find regular books somehow difficult to concentrate on in that situation.

One time when I was on a plane trip, I made the mistake of reading this Yakuza manga called Sanctuary that I had a couple of volumes of. I was reading it while the plane was hitting a bad patch of turbulence, and I got to a part in one of the books with some really gnarly violence. The combination of that and being just a teensy bit afraid for my life was kind of...disturbing. I think I remember reading or listening to an interview with movie director David Cronenberg saying that there have been movies that would have done little for him on the ground nearly moved him to tears when he saw them on a plane. Probably something a little similar going on there.

Last edited:
Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Parton, in preparation for Rugby World Cup, to know more about South Africa, the Wallabies' number two foe after NZ

I haven't read that series. But the game was simply fun, it's good to understand the different characters and how to make the best out of them.

Al Franken's Lies and The Lying Liars who Tell Them. A copy he autographed when he spoke at my college!
A Fair and Balanced Look At The Right! Thinking of starting The Sound and the Fury shortly.

Whats everyone reading now and/or read lately

As for me haven't been doing that much reading lately. Found that I hardly read any more as well. Have to say do have times like this and others don't. Guess it depends on the book itself as well.

I Was a Dancer
, Jacques d'Amboise

Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope
, Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly with Jeffrey Zaslow

Finished reading

Deer in the Headlights: My Life in Sarah Palin?s Crosshairs
, Levi Johnston

It was worth the purchase and read. Even though it took time to consider it. Have to say that I believe Levi?s side of the story and I?m starting to like him. Not Bristol and Sarah?s side of the story like I did before I this. Starting to not like both of them.

Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far
, Bristol Palin and Nancy French

Again, it was definitely worth the purchase and read.

This is taken from another thread and/response that I have done regarding Bristol's mother and Tripp's grandmother.

What is/are Sarah Palin stance/s on family leave act (maternity, paternity, etc)? The reason why I'm asking this here because she didn't bring up in neither of her books. In my opinion this should be a paid one. It should also nation and worldwide as well.

Is there anyone else on here besides whom are getting beyond tired of her still being in the spotlight? That also goes her putting her husband, kids, rest of her family, and friends being in the spotlight and etc. Even though I'm still like her as a person then a politician.

She should just go back to her husband and kids. Instead being in the spotlight. Do feel sorry for her kids and the rest of family and everyone whom is associated with her. Because politics have truly ruined her and her husband for sure. Yeah I could be wrong about this.

Finished reading these few books a few mo back.

The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents.: One Unconventional Detour Around the World
, Jennifer Baggett, Holly C. Corbett, Amanda Pressner. It was worth the read. Especially, returning the hardcover because found it was little worn. Had to wait until the paperback was released to read it.

Mountain of Crumbs: A Memoir
, Elena Gorokhova a week ago. It was worth read. Especially, since found I learned more about the former Soviet Union then what I already knew about before reading your memoir. Can't wait to read more of Ms Gorokhova's life and/or her mothers life now.

A Father's Love: One Man's Unrelenting Battle to Bring His Abducted Son Home
, David Goldman. WOW what a memoir this was and thank you, Mr. Goldman for writing about your ordeal to get Sean back home.

New Threads

Top Bottom