• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could someone explain "scripting"

I guess I'm different than most folks - my "scripting" is excessive daydreaming about an upcoming event, where I "rehearse" (through daydreaming) what I will say and do. That leaves me better prepared when I'm in the actual situation. it also alleviates anxiety. The problem, of course, is that the daydream is usually much different than what really happens, but I do think it helps to calm me down. Daydreaming is also my "stim" but since it's related to facing stressful situations, or rehearsing a past situation when I messed up, then I think it probably falls under "scripting" as well.

As an aside, I also memorize jokes so I'll be funny at any social situation. That's a definite "script" I follow when I'm just meeting people for the first time.

Can't edit the above now, so I need to add that I was not familiar with Aspergerian scripting as a term. We seem to share parts of it with NTs. I was already doing it before I knew I was an Aspie.
At Puberty I burst into Asp. with gusto. At that point I started a monologue describing every moment to myself in third person. That mistake with antidepressants robbed me (!) of that voice. I wasn't aware other people didn't have that going on! It came back recently, sporadic, and I started writing again. So its a good voice, and I'm glad its back. I guess I am ok.

"Scripting," as far as I know, is what it is called when we (people on the spectrum) repeatedly quote our favourite lines from movies, television shows, songs, adverts, comic books, etc.

I do this a lot IRL, not so much on here.
I didn't know that action had a name, interesting.

Jet, it could likely apply to both of our answers correctly. Scripting in general can be the things you've mentioned as many aspies say those things. Specifically they are the 'rehearsed' things we practice whether they be music lyrics quotes or favourite sayings, in social and other situations as well as the figuring out of 'new' situations that might scare us. We learn and use scripts to prepare for them, as well as in ordinary everyday ones.
It's so cool to know that I'm not the only one who does that. I do it mostly with phone calls, but also in other occasions.

I do this a lot. I'm sure I get on some people's nerves, but... "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." (Gone with the Wind quote) :smile:

New Threads

Top Bottom