• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cognitive Privilege: Do some NTs view aspies in the same way they view those with low IQ?

pelecanus87

I've observed that many people do not feel bad about looking down on people those with a low IQ. Or, at the very least, they take a sort of nihilistic or fatalistic view about low IQ people, believing that even if it "isn't their fault", there is still very little that others can do to better their situation. They are doomed by their very nature.

Suppose a lot of people are having this very same thought process about Aspies?

I tend to think that it is wrong to think this way about either, although I sometimes struggle with nihilistic thoughts of my own. But my point is, since many people feel fine looking down on one cognitive condition (low-IQ), doesn't that allow them to much more easily look down on others?

PS: I ripped part of my thread title (cognitive privilege) from here...an article which gained a lot of (mostly) negative attention. Still kind of interesting.

oh no, I have cognitive privilege!

Seriously though, it works this way with a lot of things. A line from the move "Philadelphia" sums it up nicely, "I have nothing but the greatest sympathy for people effected by this horrible disease, through no fault of their own." In that case, it was about AIDS. But the attitude is true for just about everything, low-IQ...awe poor thing. Depression, poverty, lack of education opportunity...you did something wrong, just "snap out of it." As if genetics is the only "luck" we draw in life, good or bad.

In my experience, many people (most?) always look for reasons to look down on other people. I think it makes them feel better about themselves?

I've observed that many people do not feel bad about looking down on people those with a low IQ. Or, at the very least, they take a sort of nihilistic or fatalistic view about low IQ people, believing that even if it "isn't their fault", there is still very little that others can do to better their situation. They are doomed by their very nature.

Suppose a lot of people are having this very same thought process about Aspies?

I tend to think that it is wrong to think this way about either, although I sometimes struggle with nihilistic thoughts of my own. But my point is, since many people feel fine looking down on one cognitive condition (low-IQ), doesn't that allow them to much more easily look down on others?

PS: I ripped part of my thread title (cognitive privilege) from here...an article which gained a lot of (mostly) negative attention. Still kind of interesting.

Dang! Love that term cognitive privilege. I will remember this, . It often seems to me that my lacks are not understood because i was cursed with a very high vocab and excellent verbal skills.

My cog reports are always cautioning helpers to be aware of the disparity i have between verbal and logic etc. but they never see it. Since i can TALK then there is no way i cant take care of myself despite 4 decades of failure in every single avenue of life EXCEPT verbal oriented things.

If you cannot eat or sleep or stand to go outside because of noise and light and if you cannot understand a simple "Hey! Where ya been?" (They really DONT want to know), well wtf good is it that i can memorize Beowulf?

I have had more helper convincing me that i am just a piece of sht than the few who were like, "hmmmmm, something does not add up but IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT."

Usually it is "quit acting helpless, quit acting stupid, " as if i like cowering to some idiot csw who has no idea what chrom 6 even is.

I find it perplexing that much of anyone would have any meaningful position for or against people predicated on their IQ. Most of us don't go around with it stamped on our forehead, plus it's not a benchmark society applies in general. o_O

Having a "lower" IQ in itself doesn't preclude one from being a useful member of society.

There's more to life than just cognitive privilege, it takes more forms than this and the article does a good job of stating that.

All I can say is that privilege (in general) is a hell of a drug, and the withdrawal symptoms...well, best not to talk about that here. Just enjoy the ride while it lasts and you'll be good.

I don't understand how they could? View an Aspie in the same way they view those with low iq?
Because they may not understand what they're actually seeing means we have a low iq? (I'm laughing at what I see as irony here)

I seem to view this idea in reverse. Rightly or wrongly.

But that's coming from someone who is new to the idea of autism( later in life) and I've spent my entire life to date either protecting my brothers, protecting my country or protecting my own children.

I could be biased.

I don't understand how they could? View an Aspie in the same way they view those with low iq?
Because they may not understand what they're actually seeing means we have a low iq? (I'm laughing at what I see as irony here)

I seem to view this idea in reverse. Rightly or wrongly.

But that's coming from someone who is new to the idea of autism( later in life) and I've spent my entire life to date either protecting my brothers, protecting my country or protecting my own children.

I could be biased.

A low social iq could be seen as the same as a low iq.

Lets call it the hierarchy of tools.

People separate the world into self/other then separate into groups.

They then consolidate the group and gain favor by labelling outsiders.

Low iq/ aspergers comment = i think i consolidate my group position and feel good about myself.

(Not necessarily conscious of doing this)

By tool, i mean idiot,fool,ass et etc

A low social iq could be seen as the same as a low iq.

Lets call it the hierarchy of tools.

People separate the world into self/other then separate into groups.

They then consolidate the group and gain favor by labelling outsiders.

Low iq/ aspergers comment = i think i consolidate my group position and feel good about myself.

(Not necessarily conscious of doing this)

By tool, i mean idiot,fool,ass et etc

Thank you :)

So that's the judgement? Social IQ? Pfft...

Smug b****rds !!

A bit like supporting football/soccer teams then?
Identifying with and supporting a certain group?
A belief that the group they're supporting are superior? (Despite the awful scores? and losing? )

Ironic that you mentioned it that way, as I made a point a little while ago to look it up. I actually found two references; one was something about chromium in water and the other had to do with a "chromosome deletion." Am I correct in that you suffer from the latter? I found a fascinating article about a little girl in the UK that suffers from it. She has the same difficulties with food, occasional outbursts, and doesn't feel pain. Supposedly she has the rarest form since she has all three issues.

I appreciate your input, as I kept coming back to this thread trying to formulate some sort of response. My stumbling block is I have grown overly weary of the use of the word "privilege," as it seems there's always a group harping about one group having privilege over another group. I hear that and want to say, "Life sucks and then you die, deal with it or go make your own bones in the world."

Wow! Cool that u looked it up!!! Yes, mine is a duplication , not a deletion, but on roughly same area. Like her, i never sleep naturally, food troubles, hyper to extreme, but i have extreme sensory issues so oh yeah, i feel pain. A lot of it.

There are a lot of chromosome 6 troubles that make for Almost Autism. It sucks because we get no help or resources or support that help Autism but I am part of the Chrom 6 Project so i hope that changes things.

A belief that the group they're supporting are superior? (Despite the awful scores? and losing? )

It happens. :eek:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

-Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels

It happens. :eek:

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

-Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels

I tnink it works from the inside at first, how people form hierarchical social groups for survival. Tribes become bigger etc.

Peoples natural tendencies have become politicised within the nation state.

Their innate drives used commercially for profit and beliefs indocrinated within the nation state to maintain social cohesion. Which also supports profit making out of peoples souls.
Bless em.

For the most part,whilst we can be the victims in many circumstances our innate drives may be different so we can be set free from most of that stupid sh**

For the most part,whilst we can be the victims in many circumstances our innate drives may be different so we can be set free from most of that stupid sh**

Yes. I see many of us on the spectrum not being so influenced by any manifestation of a "hive mentality".

Though equally I could see a few of us actually thriving in a system where everything is conditional and obedience must be absolute without question. A rigid, but simple existence without freedom of choice.

I was always amused by the eyewitness testimony of a German citizen (Werner Eberhard) who was in the middle of a huge, tumultuous Nazi rally. While he clearly observed the crowd's enthusiasm, he himself just couldn't get into it, knowing it was all just a lot of nonsense. Though I have no idea whether the man might have been on the spectrum. Only that there were a few who for whatever reason just couldn't join in this form of mass hysteria.

Last edited:
Yes. I see many of us on the spectrum not being so influenced by any manifestation of a "hive mentality".

Though equally I could see a few of us actually thriving in a system where everything is conditional and obedience must be absolute without question. A rigid, but simple existence without freedom of choice.

I was always amused by the eyewitness testimony of a German citizen (Werner Eberhard) who was in the middle of a huge, tumultuous Nazi rally. While he clearly observed the crowd's enthusiasm, he himself just couldn't get into it, knowing it was all just a lot of nonsense. Though I have no idea whether the man might have been on the spectrum. Only that there were a few who for whatever reason just couldn't join in this form of mass hysteria.

That's interesting. So it becomes the love of routine that enables one to fit in in that society. If they knew how to put us to use.

I actually often thought of being in some of those rallies being fairly sure,i wouldnt be swept along. Having to join in else be killed.
Thank goodness in the western world,for now at least, there's a lot of room for opting out.

Similar to dancing, for me. Dancing and nazi rallies a no go.

Dang! Love that term cognitive privilege. I will remember this, . It often seems to me that my lacks are not understood because i was cursed with a very high vocab and excellent verbal skills.

My cog reports are always cautioning helpers to be aware of the disparity i have between verbal and logic etc. but they never see it. Since i can TALK then there is no way i cant take care of myself despite 4 decades of failure in every single avenue of life EXCEPT verbal oriented things.

If you cannot eat or sleep or stand to go outside because of noise and light and if you cannot understand a simple "Hey! Where ya been?" (They really DONT want to know), well wtf good is it that i can memorize Beowulf?

I have had more helper convincing me that i am just a piece of sht than the few who were like, "hmmmmm, something does not add up but IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT."

Usually it is "quit acting helpless, quit acting stupid, " as if i like cowering to some idiot csw who has no idea what chrom 6 even is.

I get this completely. My "gift" is visual metaphor in that I'm able to not only do visual art well, BUT I apparently have a knack for description - as in, I'm a really good story teller and am often told that I should write b/c my "description" is so good and inspiring...

But I've always struggled with everything else. I'm certainly underemployed and have been all my life. I've literally been told that I "talk pretty" - and many think I'm a poet. Whatever! I still don't have any friends (I don't cope well), and once they get to know the "real" me, I'm dismissed as "crazy" - but they'll also say I'm "talented" and I can then see the pity in their eyes, like "Oh, if only she was normal, she could do so much!"

I get this - memorizing Beowulf is awesome, btw! (I actually do manuscript illuminations, which usually gets a "WOW!" but it's not something that anyone would ever publish, just as having an excellent vocabulary won't really get you a job, either.)

Strange that we are struggling, despite how awesome we clearly are! :)

I get this completely. My "gift" is visual metaphor in that I'm able to not only do visual art well, BUT I apparently have a knack for description - as in, I'm a really good story teller and am often told that I should write b/c my "description" is so good and inspiring...

But I've always struggled with everything else. I'm certainly underemployed and have been all my life. I've literally been told that I "talk pretty" - and many think I'm a poet. Whatever! I still don't have any friends (I don't cope well), and once they get to know the "real" me, I'm dismissed as "crazy" - but they'll also say I'm "talented" and I can then see the pity in their eyes, like "Oh, if only she was normal, she could do so much!"

I get this - memorizing Beowulf is awesome, btw! (I actually do manuscript illuminations, which usually gets a "WOW!" but it's not something that anyone would ever publish, just as having an excellent vocabulary won't really get you a job, either.)

Strange that we are struggling, despite how awesome we clearly are! :)

Wow, that is something i could have written. Oh yeah, "be urself!!" But how true. Once people know me, dismissed as crazy. And that pity in the eye!!! "You are so talented!" When they are simultaneously thinkng, "omg i would kill myself". But they tell me not to.

Do u have pics if ur illuminations? I would love to see them!!! I can dig up a vid of my memorizing if i can find it!!!!

IQ is not a benchmark for success or happiness in life, it definitely doesn't give anyone the right to look down at anyone else, inversely i get annoyed when intellectually oriented people prefer to talk with others that are intellectually astute, and are called snobs because of it

New Threads

Top Bottom