• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Child with autism has cards printed so that people won't judge him.

Mia

V.I.P Member
Child With Autism Makes Cards Explaining His Condition To Stop Strangers Judging Him

Daniel hopes his cards will raise awarness of the conditions. [Photo: SWNS]

An eight-year-old boy, with both autism and ADHD, has come up with a novel solution for stopping strangers from staring at him – and is simultaneously raising awareness for the conditions that affect so many children and adults.

Daniel Booth’s conditions mean that he struggles to cope with changes in his routine and his behavior often causes people to stop and stare at him when he’s out and about with his parents.

The schoolboy didn’t want that to be the case, so he decided to create cards explaining his diagnosis and why he acts the way he does. His mum Karen, 36, helped him design his cards, which he now hands out when he feels the need to.

Balance of the article here: https://ca.style.yahoo.com/post/127270205215/child-with-autism-makes-cards-explaining-his

A very bright child.

I think that's a very sweet story & I hope it helps him out living with his AS - ASD. I imagine that some small children who scream persistently in supermarket environments might be affected by migraine from the reflected fluorescent lighting that gets uses, as well as general mart-mayhem overload.

It's interesting & appropriate that the UK National Autism Society link was posted because as part of their membership introduction package, they provide an Autism Alert wallet card & an NAS hot line card. I carry this when out, I have presented it when attending medical appointments or in other situations. I don't know if NAS sell these additionally; I have had other people inquire whether they are available.

I think that's a very sweet story & I hope it helps him out living with his AS - ASD. I imagine that some small children who scream persistently in supermarket environments might be affected by migraine from the reflected fluorescent lighting that gets uses, as well as general mart-mayhem overload.

It's interesting & appropriate that the UK National Autism Society link was posted because as part of their membership introduction package, they provide an Autism Alert wallet card & an NAS hot line card. I carry this when out, I have presented it when attending medical appointments or in other situations. I don't know if NAS sell these additionally; I have had other people inquire whether they are available.

Yes, the very nature of supermarket/shopping complexes is such that they could, and probably do, seriously overwhelm many who go there. The crowds, noise, lights - too many distractions to take in. When I was much younger we had local specialty shops (i.e. milkbars, fish-and-chip shops, hardware shops and so on) prior to the introduction of all of these mega-complex-shopping centres, and it seems to me that many modern day trends are taking us in the direction of making things more intolerable for those of us who are sensitive and don't like the idea of exposing ourselves to the world and having our personal space invaded. The hectic pace of modern-day living doesn't help us at all. We need to slow things down, but it has gotten to the point where even neurotypicals are cracking under the stress of living in a world that is so unnatural, so dysfuntional.

New Threads

Top Bottom