• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you take care of yourself ?

Yes...kinda. I don't like having showers because hairs get everywhere and they feel horrible on my hands and YUCK. And when I dry myself like hairs come off the towels (I think they come off the towels, they just appear out of NOWHERE). EErrrugh. That sometimes sends me into a meltdown.

I'm also very sensitive of the temperature in water so I get burned easily.

Uhrm. I also need a schedule. And I cant wash up because the soapy water feels HORRIBLE. UUUUUUUUURRRRRGGH!

But yeah I suppose ;)

I do feel I need help to look after me. Fortunately so far in my life I have always had someone there to take care of me, but if that were ever to change, then I think I would have a serious problem. I can't cook or clean or do nearly anything for myself, even hygiene is an issue for me. Taking baths or showers just does not happen unless I absolutely have to or I have someone telling me to. If I am left on my own for any length of time, I can just about cope with the microwave and cooking a few small and simple things with that. But if I had to shop for myself or cook a meal for myself, I know that I would be way out of my depth.

I don't think that at 18, I could have taken care of myself on my own. I was sort of "scaffolded" into being able to live independently, and this was a case in which "the system" worked to my advantage, in such a way that at 22, I am fully capable of living on my own (and would much prefer to live without my roommates...I have them solely for rent-paying purposes, not to help take care of me).

When I was still in high school, I had a real problem remembering hygiene, especially to put on new clothes and take showers. I would also occasionally forget to eat, though not particularly often. I loved making Ramen Noodles, and with the ability to boil water, I learned to make a great many simple meals with nice texture, branching from Ramen to Maccaroni to Spaghetti to pre-packaged ravioli, that were relatively low-maintenence yet still good. Also, microwavable frozen veggies helped me learn to add nutrition to my meals without worrying about extra chopping and other cook prep. I also learned that baking chicken breasts was relatively easy; I can just put it in a glass pan in the oven at 350* for 45 minutes, set a timer, and take it out. Anyway, enough about that.

My high school had a modular schedule, which helped me get used to not having the same classes every single day, even though they were at the same times each time we had them. By the time I got to college, I was used to having a schedule and a certain amount of things that I needed to get done.

My first two years of college, every freshman and sophomore was required to live in the dorms. Not everyone had a roommate, but I had roommates both years, and we shared a very close living space. Every floor had a Residence Assistant, or RA to help with any concerns. My first year, I had two roommates. I really struggled when they broke rules (like having alcohol in the dorms, or guys in our room overnight), but overall we got along well. Both of them were NT, and they provided good models and cues for self-care. It was much easier to learn from a peer saying, "I feel dirty, I need a shower," than hearing from my mom, "your hair looks greasy, you need a shower". I saw her self-cue, so I learned to self-cue. I still struggle with brushing my teeth, so I'm trying to make it part of my bedtime routine, but I forget often (sorry if that's nasty--also, I don't always have time for it in my morning routine, and if I"m running late, that's one of the first things that gets skipped).

Those first two years, I was also required to have a "meal plan", which meant that for my meals, I would swipe into the cafeteria and be able to get the food that I needed whenever I needed to eat. I was often invited to dinner by my friends and floormates, and sometimes I was just hungry enough to go myself. My sophomore year, there was even a cafeteria in the building I lived in, so that made it even easier to remember. I got sick of dorm food, so between my sophomore and junior year of college, I had my mom teach me some things about cooking that would allow me to expand beyond spaghetti and chicken. I still don't do much chopping, but I learned some simple things, like how to marinate chicken or use spices to make something that is easy to make in a slightly different way. I have learned to make lists for myself to know what I need to buy from the grocery store.

I'm actually struggling a bit right now, because I'm balancing four "jobs" (some as low as 2 hours a week, one is just a volunteer position), yet I don't have a set "daily schedule" yet this semester. Without a fairly set "This is what I do on this day," mentality, I flounder a bit. The structure really, really helps.

Actually, since this seems like it might be something that others might be struggling with, too, I'd definitely be open to answering any questions about living independently. If anyone has any advice for me, as well (like how to remember to brush your teeth!..among other things), I'd definitely be open to hearing that.

The way I remember to brush my teeth and have a bath/shower is that my girlfriend is constantly prompting me and going on at me until it is done. I know without her I would never do it. She also helps me to remember to put deodorant on :)

Obviously if you live alone, then you need something different to remind you. Unfortunately the best I can come up with is to place post-its around the house in various places, perhaps in a route around the house, prompting you to do a certain thing.

Perhaps a "take shower" near your bed when you wake up, and a "brush teeth" on the back of the bathroom door before you leave, which could be followed by a "get breakfast" on the front of your bedroom door.

Not sure if it'd work though :p

I find that I have very little problems living on my own, I think my biggest hurdles come when I move. I had a credit card that was threatening to sue if I didn't pay it all back in a very short time due to me forgetting to inform of me moving, and my mom took out a loan for me (that I have since payed her back for) at a cheaper price than what was owed lol. My mom handles my financial issues though because she panicked to ODSP (disability insurance) thinking I wasn't getting by very well even though I think I was. Who knows, maybe I wasn't but I was fine with what I had at the end of the month.

if not able to pay a credit card is proof of not knowing how to pay bills then all people that get a credit card need to not pay their own bills

think about all the people that owe more on their credit card for buying stuff they do not need and eating all food at expensive restaurants

those people average owing more on a credit card that we would spend on a house

I probably can, when it is necessary. But as long as my mother cooks and brings in the money (I live at home, I am 18) I rarely feel the drive to actually take matters into my own hands. I guess I am like an airbag: I only come in action when I have to. :p

I'm almost 29 and I still live with my parents. It's mostly for health reasons (seizures). I also only have a part-time job right now, so I'd rather wait until I have a full-time job before I move out. For the aforementioned health reasons, I also can't drive and am not familiar with our local bus system. I also can't live alone for those reasons. I'm also still learning the skills necessary for living independently.

Last edited:
in answer to the question,nope am unable to care for self,classed by social services as having critical care needs [meaning woud die without help] and have two support staff to self during the day and both a 'waking night' staff and a 'sleep in' night staff at night.

Not really. I can't even do my own taxes, let alone have enough income to pay for housing and food. I make enough money to support myself in my current situation, but if that were to change...that's one of my persistent fears. God protect me.

I can't even do my own taxes

I've seen American tax returns. Inability to do them has nothing to do with ASD.

Answer to the question: barely. I've been offered the chance to move back in with family, but that would make my commute absolutely hellish.

I've had to look after myself for the last 43 years, it hasn't been easy but I learnt that if I can't do something I can either find a way around it or get help.

Official forms confuse me, so I ask for help completing them.
I rent 'fully inc' of bills so I know exactly how much I pay each month.
I don't have credit or credit cards as the last time I did I got into way too much debt.

I spend my money every time I get it. So I guess in a way, I think I'll have trouble supporting myself... D:

To a degree I manage.
The biggest issue is cleaning, if them floor isn't ''chunky'' then its not to dirty.
I've lived by myself for several years.
What helped me trough it is routine and discipline.
I knew i had to help myself because i wouldn't accept help from anyone else.

Now i share an appartement with my friend, who happens to be gay and very caring.
I have to admit that life is... Quite a bit more relaxing not having to account for those daily annoyances and being able to count on someone to Cook etc...

New Threads

Top Bottom