• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you take care of yourself ?

regnkappa

i live alone.

I cant hold up my routines by myself or organize my day. And i can get stuck at a task and not getting further . Also having issue to see how a task is to be done .

I have personal who helps me with getting up. getting dinner and such, make sure I am getting my self ready and have my appartment in a okey shape.

How about you?

no, I definitely cant lead an independant life, I've tried but managed for about a week. I need prompting to do alot of things, I cant multi-task and I have poor short-term memory. So cooking a meal could actually be risky.

Yes I can. We're supposed to anyway because we're aspie. It's auties who have that difficulty.

However I don't know how to cook but I can cook simple things. I am often lazy to feed myself so I end up starving. I am too into the computer to stop but without WP, it all feels empty because other places I go to are not as active so I can do more things now. Maybe I won't be as lazy.

Definetly not, I have trouble cooking and cleaning. I'm glad i'm only 17 and still have time to learn these things.

I think I probably could... I don't know though...
Financially I'm not sure.
But I can cook(by cook I mean put stuff in the microwave, since that's all I eat anyway[like, literally, I never need to use anything other than a microwave, if that]) and can go out and buy stuff from the store on my own, go to town on my own, etc.
I do think I might have problems in terms of showering enough and stuff. I know that sounds really bad, but I feel that if I didn't have a job or education, or something, I'd not shower for days at a time because no one would complain. IDK though. I'd probably start to get irritated eventually.
I also like to wear the same clothes(not underwear though) for days at a time because tbh, I don't even remember how many days I've worn them anyway. I have a bad memory for things like that.
So IDK.
I'm almost certain I won't need any extra support, and won't be dependent on my parents into my late 20s(I certainly hope I won't be anyway).
EMZ=]

I do ok om my own,I lived alone foe 15 years and I didn't dry up and blow away

Got to where I was really cut off from the world tho,socializing is hard anyway

and if you never see anybody you'd be surprised the strange things you'll forget about.

Yes I can. We're supposed to anyway because we're aspie. It's auties who have that difficulty.

I think dyspraxia can make cooking and various other tasks somewhat dangerous in some cases, in all fairness.

gosh, I made cheese on toast earlier and burnt it because I got distracted. :blink:

:lol: I used to do that a lot. I'd put something in the oven and then go back to the computer or play games. Then i'd realise that I was cooking something and rush downstairs to find it burnt. One time my pizza was completely black all over.

I can't be assed cooking (excuse my French). If I can shove something in the microwave for a few minutes then happy days. If it's any more complicated or time consuming than that, then I get my parents to cook it.

I think dyspraxia can make cooking and various other tasks somewhat dangerous in some cases, in all fairness.

I'm just following what the DSM says about AS. I think they should get rid of the word and make it all autism since not all aspies truely have it due to difficulty taking care of themselves or talking late. Doctors don't even follow the darn criteria and I don't see how I meet it myself if I talked late.

I do it just fine, sometimes I need to leave reminders for myself, but modern technology makes it so easy

Dyspraxia makes certain things difficult, as Chris said, in all fairness. I think it's different for everyone, maybe you are more well adjusted or just less severe? I know I have a number of issues with taking care of myself, most of which have already been posted. For example I need to be prompted to do a lot of things; I couldn't go out alone to buy the right things to make a meal, nor could I actually make the meal. I've tried making food before but I usually drop it/hurt myself/forget about it etc!

I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to live independantly. If I go through a bad patch then I don't get out of bed, so there's no way I'd eat etc. :(

By the time I realize I'm hungry, I often don't have the energy to prepare or go get food.

But for the most part, I get by.

I don't know I'm hungry until I'm starving.

I don't think dyspraxia makes aspies anymore severe with their condition. It just be their dyspraxia alone that is bad.

I've heard how doctors determine how bad your AS is based on if you finished school, had a job or held down one, got married, had relationships, went to college and if you even finished, what comorbid conditions you have such as sensory issues, dyspraxia, OCD, learning difficulties, hyperlexia, and anxiety.

But I disagree. I don't think it makes me anymore severe based on my learning difficulties, or anxiety or OCD, and how much help I needed in school, that I didn't go to college and didn't have relationships in my teens. My AS alone is mild.

TBH, I don't think the relationship one should count, esp. with AS girls.
Most of the guys I dated were on the spectrum anyway, and I wasn't dating them because I made an effort socially. The only reason they dated me was because I'm notorious for being the only girl in my Year which doesn't talk to people, is somewhat misanthropic and is intensely interested in computers.
I actually think it's almost easier to get a boyfriend when you have AS and are a girl 'cause you're more likely to integrate quicker with males rather than females due to interests and such.
All the relationships I've had(if you could even call them that), manifested from friendships.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert and it's not like I've had any success with guys, I've only dated 3 and they all seemed to end detrimentally(but then again, i think that's almost compulsory at my age), but I think having a relationship just shouldn't be an indicator of independence... because it's really not.
If anything being in a relationship just made me dependent on one person for my entire social circle :/. Also emotionally dependent on them.
EMZ=]

Hm this is interesting.

I managed to get a girl friend 7 years ago. then we moved to an apartment together, she did everything couse I did not manage . Then We bought a car and i got a job. (a friend practicly gave it to me and its about computers wich is my special interest). So i begun to work. My gf got pregenant. So there I was. Becomeing a dad. Working , Living with my gf in out aparment. Looking like I was functionning fine. BUT I sure has hell was not. I did not do things I was supposed to. My gf had to do alot of it to make things not chaos. I did not understand what I was in the middle of really. I started to get panic attacks every day couse to much happened around me every day.

I now am single. I did not function good enough to make it work with my gf. practicly. Living by myself now. I am not working anymore . I am seeing my son to play with him an houer or so per day thats all my energi and focus can handle.

So my point is. Its hard for others to "diagnose" ones issues. My history is that i have had gf, and work and i am a dad. But it never was in my control so to speak.

I have read the criteria for AS and autism many times. All of the different ones. Its confusing .

I agree that AS is easier for females and they are harder to diagnose. I also hear they are more sociable and shyness is common in women. I hear AS effects girls differently.

I agree that AS is easier for females and they are harder to diagnose. I also hear they are more sociable and shyness is common in women. I hear AS effects girls differently.

It might be common it effects girls differently. But I know AS girls that are to "too social". Talking to everyone all the time . Talking to much. And that is dangerous even. people can take advantage of them just seeking contacts no knowing what they might get into. Thinking every one is honest .

It might be common it effects girls differently. But I know AS girls that are to "too social". Talking to everyone all the time . Talking to much. And that is dangerous even. people can take advantage of them just seeking contacts no knowing what they might get into. Thinking every one is honest .

That sounds like me except I was lucky men didn't hurt me. I did try to be cautious though. Now I am not so social.

I think girls with AS are very easy to take advantage. Of the two I knew, I'm pretty sure one could have been taken advantage of easily, and the other I'm pretty sure already was sexually.
I don't think it's easier for girls with AS tbh. It's expected of men to be less sociable, but when a girl ignores everyone and doesn't talk, you're deviating from your gender role. And then you start getting labels >_<.
EMZ=/

New Threads

Top Bottom