• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can You Help Me?

dana

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on my very important senior project. I chose Aspergers because it's an important subject to me and I wanted to use this project as an opportunity to learn more.

I would be overjoyed and grateful if anyone here with Aspergers would be willing to do an online interview with me. I would like to very briefly learn about struggles or hardships you have experienced, as well as any positives you'd like to share. You don't have to reveal your real name or identity, although I would prefer you to have a webcam and to have your permission to record our chat.

If you can spare 5 or 10 minutes to share your story and answer a handful of questions, I would appreciate it very, very much.

Feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you.

I think there are plenty of individuals who are willing to help raise autism awareness. Though it can be challenging as many autistics have an overwhelming feeling being persecuted by society for being different and not fitting in.

You might consider posting your questions so that candidates considering to help you can better understand what you are looking for, as well as prepare themselves for the questions and conversation - we like to know what is coming.....

Thank you Keigan for the suggestion!

Here are the questions:

At what age did you get diagnosed?
Have you ever felt "excluded" or "different" in a negative way?
Have you ever felt "different" in a positive way? Skills, hobbies, etc.
How were/are you treated in school?
What do people understand/don't understand about you?
What do you wish people knew or understood?
How do you handle your feelings? Do you have somebody to talk to?
In your opinion, what would most benefit people with Aspergers?

I'm self diagnosed and will pursue an official diagnosis in the future.

'excluded' or 'different' in a negative way - Yes, always knew that something was not right but never knew what, until just recently at age 53. I don't connect with others and only have a few friends.

'different' in a positive way - Yes, I've always had the ability to learn things quickly as I have a photographic memory, incredible visual communication skills. Now, I realize I have an amazing foundation of self monitoring and coping skills to 'fit in' and help,others be/interact with me.

Treated in school, poorly until I was older.

Understand/don't understand - still an open question....

Wish people knew or understood - that I am amazing.

Feelings' look up Alexithymia, I have momentary feelings though I do not have much vocabulary to describe or express them and I can't deal with the feelings of others.

I talk to my dog all the time, he understands everything and knows me well.

Most benefit people on the spectrum, certainly interaction with others - still learning....

New Threads

Top Bottom