• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic Callous teenage terrorist jailed for grooming Asperger's man to carry out Lee Rigby style attack

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Edited to remove the word 'sufferer')

A “callous and manipulative” teenage terrorist who groomed a young man with learning difficulties to carry out a Lee Rigby copycat killing has been jailed for eight years.

Kazi Islam, 19, tried to persuade 19-year-old Harry Thomas to buy the ingredients for a pipe bomb and to attack one or more soldiers with a kitchen knife or meat cleaver on his command.

He encouraged the older youth to start calling himself Haroon instead of Harry and attempted to radicalise him with stories of innocent children murdered by military forces.

But Islam's schemes were foiled when Mr Thomas failed to buy any of the right ingredients for a bomb and let slip to "a few friends" what they were up to.

The defendant, who will serve his sentence in a young offenders institute, denied wrongdoing, saying that he only talked to Mr Thomas about getting the components for a bomb as an "experiment" in radicalisation.

But following the trial at the Old Bailey, Islam, of Meanley Road, Newham, east London, was found guilty of engaging in the preparation of terrorist acts.

Sentencing, judge Richard Marks QC told him that his behaviour towards Mr Thomas, who has Asperger's syndrome and ADHD, was an aggravating feature.

He said: "Even on your own account, that you knew he was an extremely vulnerable young man, your treatment of him was as callous as it was manipulative."

Judge Marks said that since his conviction Islam had shown neither remorse nor insight into the seriousness of what he had done.

In November 2013, Islam messaged Mr Thomas: "Did u get the ingredients mate?"

Mr Thomas replied that he got "some pipes" but it transpired he got the wrong ones.

The following month, Mr Thomas asked: "who're we gonna blow up" and Islam replied "no one" adding "I'll tell you wen I see you (sic)".

Later that month, Islam tried to disguise the plot with code words when he told Mr Thomas: "So we need to work on this cake."

But Mr Thomas, failing to grasp the subtlety, responded: "cake? U mean the b o m b."

Islam ordered Mr Thomas not to talk to anyone after the older youth admitted he had "only told a few mates", the court heard.

The defendant told him: "Don't tell anyone ... just keep your mouth shut ... The brothers are gonna come after me and kill me and they're gonna kill u as well."

Defending, Peter Lownds described his client as something of a "bedroom jihadist" whose plans had never got to the stage of specific discussion or a dry run.

"He comes from a very loving and supportive family who are very worried and confused by these events,” he said.

At the time he was arrested, Islam, who failed to pass any GCSEs, was living with his parents and working for Winning Moves based in Paddington, which sells a range of popular family board games including Top Trumps, Monopoly, Cluedo, Risk, Connect 4 and Pass The Pigs.

Islam was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £120 and made subject to a terrorism prevention requirement for 15 years.

SOURCE: Callous teenage terrorist jailed for grooming Asperger's man to carry out Lee Rigby style attack - Telegraph

I find it pretty callous for someone to assume those with disabilities (not limited to Asperger Syndrome) that they are meaningless, mindless drones to be used for brainwashing. As a person with Aspergers, I am glad they persecuted this ignorant teenager.

I must commend the community for taking appropriate action. Why is it that people are so cruel and manipulative?

I'm not sure what's the most inflammatory part of this article, the kid named Islam, the gullable Asperger's "sufferer", or that it's another dang teenager acting out. Toss in some racism and we get all the bases covered. :/

Hmmmmmm. I suspect that judiciaries and law enforcement (on both sides of the pond) may have a "skewed perspective" of those on the spectrum of autism likely based on nebulous conclusions of police interrogations.

Yet scientific/forensic investigation and conclusive standards appear to have weighed in on such issues some time ago.

"Individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) may be over-represented within the criminal justice system; it is therefore important to understand how they fare under police questioning. The present study examined interrogative suggestibility and compliance in individuals with ASD, and whether this is associated with certain psychological traits. Adults with ASD and their typical counterparts completed the Gudjonsson Suggestibility Scales (GSS), Gudjonsson Compliance Scale (GCS), and measures of state-trait anxiety, self-esteem, fear of negative evaluation by others and paranoia. In contrast to previous research (North, Russell, & Gudjonsson, 2008), there was no difference between the ASD and comparison groups on the measure of compliance, and groups also did not differ on any of the GSS measures, despite the ASD group reporting significantly higher paranoia. Findings indicate that individuals with ASD may be no more likely to succumb to interrogative pressures than their typical counterparts."

Brief report: Suggestibility, compliance and psychological traits in high-functioning adults with autism spectrum disorder

I think there is more going on with Harry Thomas than the article cared to investigate.

Cat Stevens changed his last name to Islam when he converted. His new first name is the Arabic equivalent of Joe. I hope this isn't wrong to say but he basically changed his name to Joe Muslim. Yusuf Islam.

New Threads

Top Bottom