• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Buying things you don’t need

Hm, now I'm a little worried I don't have enough food. 🤔 Most things I buy a lot of and stockpile, is non-food items or food items that has a long shelf life. I live alone so if I buy a lot of food, it expires before I can eat it. I do also buy some extra food but I don't have a lot of it.
It depends on what your situation in Norway is. In Florida, we have hurricanes and tornados that can interrupt power and supply chains. My Florida home have been out of power for 8-10 days after a hurricane. Even if you can get to stores, they are closed due to no power, or if they are open, they are sold out of everything useful. Sometime last year, I think it was, some hacking took down communications for routing trucks, or something like that. So it is not unreasonable for someone like me to have stocks of things.

Our emergency management wants people to have a minimum of three days supplies of food, water and medicine. A week is better. I live in a very rural area, the last to have power returned, so I plan more. I also like to keep things one can eat without cooking, ie. canned food. I can cook; I have camp stoves, etc. But I rarely want to.

To be honest, I have enjoyed the periods of time I've been without electricity.

So any stocking up you do would be based on your location. Are you anywhere near the underwater stocks of seeds? That's where I would want to be in the event of a nuclear war. Provided there is enough food and fresh water.

I didn't know that. I rarely or never buy those things so I know little about it. :)

I have to admit that I'm guilty of buying shiny new things. But I rationalize it, it's often tools and things that are useful. Things I use to work with. And I'm sure I can come up with several other excuses if I have to. ;) And sometimes I just tell myself that it makes life a little better and more fun. And I live alone and need more fun sometimes, so I buy stuff.
Sometimes the novelty of buying something new feels great but then as soon as I get home and take it out of my bag I place it somewhere and don't look at it any more.

You can purchase things very cheaply on temu dot com. If you can resist adding more and more to your cart, you can have shiny new things for very cheap.

It depends on what your situation in Norway is.

Well, we're right next to Russia. So I would call it an iffy situation these days. And we're at the end of the European supply chain. So other countries gets their stuff before ours finally arrive. And we have winterstorms and our electricity supply isn't fantastic these days. And I live in a rural area, I'm pretty much on my own if something goes wrong. Now that I think about it... I need to find a better place to live! Why am I here? I'm beginning to panic a little, shouldn't have thought about all this. ;)

Are you anywhere near the underwater stocks of seeds? That's where I would want to be in the event of a nuclear war. Provided there is enough food and fresh water.

I remember someone on the forum planned to attack and take over the seed vault in the Svalbard archipelago. I think it was Rodafina. I might just steal that plan, go up there and take it myself if something terrible happens. :)

Last edited:
Now that I think about it... I need to find a better place to live! Why am I here? I'm beginning to panic a little, shouldn't have thought about all this. ;)
It's all good, you've got Aussies there now and they'll stay until the beer runs out. We did a contra deal, Norway's supplying us with missiles and were supplying Norway with elite soldiers and training.

Well, we're right next to Russia. So I would call it an iffy sittuation these days. And we're at the end of the European supply chain. So other countries gets their stuff before ours finally arrive. And we have winterstorms and our electricity supply isn't fantastic these days. And I live in a rural area, I'm pretty much on my own if something goes wrong. Now that I think about it... I need to find a better place to live! Why am I here? I'm beginning to panic a little, shouldn't have thought about all this. ;)
With all the winter you have, you also need a season's supply of fuel. When I lived north, we used a wood stove. Please don't panic. I'll feel guilty. :(
I remember someone on the forum planned to attack and take over the seed vault in the Svalbard archipelago. I think it was Rodafina. I might just steal that plan, go up there and take it myself if something terrible happens. :)
I'll join you. I could paddle my canoe across the Atlantic. ;)

Or we can all meet in Australia. Or NZ. Or a tiny island in a tropical archipelago.

It's all good, you've got Aussies there now and they'll stay until the beer runs out. We did a contra deal, Norway's supplying us with missiles and were supplying Norway with elite soldiers and training.

The Aussies will probably flee to Australia when the winter hits us. ;)
I wouldn't blame them.

The Aussies will probably flee to Australia when the winter hits us. ;)
Just promise them that the beer will be really cold, they'll never leave.

I don't know if they still do it or not, there used to be a training exercise for our special forces, they had to go on foot from Perth to Darwin without being seen. All the people in remote areas were alerted to these exercises and if they spotted a soldier they could ring up and get a $1000 prize. Perth to Darwin is approximately 3000 Km.

Just promise them that the beer will be really cold, they'll never leave.

I don't know if they still do it or not, there used to be a training exercise for our special forces, they had to go on foot from Perth to Darwin without being seen. All the people in remote areas were alerted to these exercises and if they spotted a soldier they could ring up and get a $1000 prize. Perth to Darwin is approximately 3000 Km.
The beer will be frozen in Norway.

At the cabin in the Adirondacks in winter and piles of snow, we would put Stolichnaya outside - it could easily be zero F - and you never even felt it going down.

Interesting training exercises. I’ve heard of similar exercises here, but no where near as long and no prize money I’ve heard of.

Don't forget mattresses. I heard somewhere that you're supposed to replace your mattress every 7 years. But think how quickly 7 years goes. It seems such a waste if you had paid a lot for an expensive mattress that still feels lovely and comfortable even after like 10 years. Some people haven't got the money to keep replacing their mattress.
Same with shoes. I need comfortable, expensive shoes because my feet are wide, so I don't like to walk too much in them because they wear out quicker and I like to hang on to shoes and boots for as long as I can.

This is the average life of a mattress. If you just lay in it, in the same spot. Without doing anything else. Sometimes a replacement may need to be sooner, depending on how the mattress is overall treated.

One thing my Uncle taught me, to extend the life of your mattress, is to rotate and/or flip your mattress everytime you wash your sheets and pillow cases. This will minimize the wear on the springs and the mattress itself.

It's something that this throwaway society doesn't want you to know.

I bought a wheel balancing service for a wheel that won't be used until it is repaired and balanced again because I hadn't thought things through. However, I just avoided buying 95 screws I'll probably never need by adjusting the length of five others with washers I have in plentiful supply.

New Threads

Top Bottom