• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Burning man?

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
Has anyone ever attended Burning Man at Black Rock?

I have been invited to go...

In some ways it looks sort of fun, in some ways it looks terrifying, but yet intriguing.

I have been sort of rushing through lots of information on it. I don't have a lot of time to make up my mind and prepare all the things that I need to do before I could even go.

One of my few long time school friends who now lives in SD Cali wants me to meet him there and experience this oddity. He kind of asked spur of the moment and this is a 1200 mile trip coming up in about 2 weeks...

I want to go, and I want to hang out with him (and some other friends), but I just don't know if Black rock is something I can handle for a week. I love camping and stuff and I guess as long as I can have some peace and quiet that would be okay, but this place looks a little wild and a little weird, but thats kind of what makes it maybe tempting.

Please be warned that you will see some weird s--- if you look this up, but there are lots of not weird things also.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it... As of right now I probably going to say no, but I will see my friends out there this fall anyway. I just hate to say no, he sounds all excited and stuff.

While it isn't on the same level as Burning Man,I did go to All Good a while back.

How far away can you camp? I'd want to be about five miles away myself. The art looks cool but mostly it seems like a terribly confusing and noisy thing. If you don't have a lot of sensory issues though it might be a great place to be as weird as you want to be. That part would be good.

How far away can you camp? I'd want to be about five miles away myself. The art looks cool but mostly it seems like a terribly confusing and noisy thing. If you don't have a lot of sensory issues though it might be a great place to be as weird as you want to be. That part would be good.

I'm a sensory issue nightmare...

But I still try and live a life I won't regret.
I have wasted so much of it feeling worthless, and reliving a past that needs to be hurled out into the universe somewhere...

I want to just say no... Which is what I always say, just because of all the stupid things that try and "limit" me.

I'm still digging and researching... It's not that I want to be weird, or do something insane... I think it's just more about having the freedom to get away from our set reality.

I'm pretty shy and modest... I do take care of my body, but I'm not gonna run around half naked doing the hokey pokey or nothing like that.

I don't think I can handle very much of the night time stuff... Too many flashing lights, lots of noise and drum beating, loud music, and that seems to be when they get really wild (I think that might be an understatement).

Why does this bazar thing intrigue me?
Most stuff it's just a hell no, and I go on...

I feel like I just got invited to Sodom and Gamorah, in some strange way... And I feel bad about even considering going.

I guess I can hang out in the Temple most the time? It might be safe in there.
Maybe I could meditate with a monk, or learn something of value?

I have wasted so much of it feeling worthless, and reliving a past that needs to be hurled out into the universe somewhere...

I want to just say no... Which is what I always say, just because of all the stupid things that try and "limit" me.

I'm still digging and researching... It's not that I want to be weird, or do something insane... I think it's just more about having the freedom to get away from our set reality.

I'm pretty shy and modest... I do take care of my body, but I'm not gonna run around half naked doing the hokey pokey or nothing like that.

I don't think I can handle very much of the night time stuff... Too many flashing lights, lots of noise and drum beating, loud music, and that seems to be when they get really wild (I think that might be an understatement).

I feel like I just got invited to Sodom and Gamorah, in some strange way... And I feel bad about even considering going.

you'd most definitely learn something of value..

I was involved in producing smaller festivals a while ago.

I got to meet some very interesting individuals and performers with memories that will last a lifetime.

24x7 drugs and dirt and dust and noise

Thats what I'm seeing too... amongst other terrifying things that people probably shouldn't put out there...geez

However, there has to be a good side to it (or not)... There are police and stuff out there in the Wild West.
It has huge warnings about illegal drug use (that I am sure is fully ignored)... as I see a naked chick and dude in the next frame... and then a dude and a dude... Alrighty then. Not judging in any way (to each his own). I'm just not used to seeing what I am seeing running out in the wide open with no shame whatsoever. Wow they do like their freedom.

My sister goes every year. Everything and anything goes on there, I would guess Wild Wild West with calm buz and a purple haze.

I was involved in producing smaller festivals a while ago.

I got to meet some very interesting individuals and performers with memories that will last a lifetime.

Thats more what I am thinking... They say very big entertainers attend but people are not allowed to treat them differently. Lots of big name people were there last year, and money has no value... Everything is gifted and you take extra supplies to gift to others... Thats the part I like so much. Money is useless...

If you have enough recovery time it it might be worth it just to see what does go on. I have been to three political rallies. The largest made me really sick but I am still glad I went. It was interesting and I had a front row spot and got to watch all these photographers working. But I was really sick for days afterwards.

Thats more what I am thinking... They say very big entertainers attend but people are not allowed to treat them differently. Lots of big name people were there last year, and money has no value... Everything is gifted and you take extra supplies to gift to others... Thats the part I like so much. Money is useless...
Yes,everybody is playing on a very level field. There is tons of sharing going on and the troubles of the world just go away for a few fleeting minutes.

I was involved in bi-annual shows on a smaller venue,but the vibes are still the same.

Personally,I think you should go.If it gets overwhelming,go hide in your tent until you feel cool again.
No one will question why ya did it either,because they are one heck of a party.

For what it's worth, why don't you simply Google "Burning Man" and access "images". Lots and lots of visuals to give you a real idea of what it has been like over the recent years.

I always get a kick out of seeing "Burners" coming into the stores in Reno and Sparks to stock up on provisions, as well as seeing their seriously dirty cars stop in to by things for the trip home. They're always in a good mood...which tells me something. ;)

Nope, I've never been to one before. But in my own case, being around a bunch of strangers at close range with so much sensory input could put me into shutdown. Though in all honesty they do seem to have fun. Good for them.

For what it's worth, why don't you simply Google "Burning Man" and access "images". Lots and lots of visuals to give you a real idea of what it has been like over the recent years.

I always get a kick out of seeing "Burners" coming into the stores in Reno and Sparks to stock up on provisions, as well as seeing their seriously dirty cars stop in to by things for the trip home. They're always in a good mood...which tells me something. ;)

Nope, I've never been to one before. But in my own case, being around a bunch of strangers at close range with so much sensory input could put me into shutdown. Though in all honesty they do seem to have fun. Good for them.

I have been looking and researching and honestly... as bad as I say I want to go... I don't think I can take that much in at least up close.

This type of situation is where I get upset with myself a lot. I want so badly to go and experience something, but I also know I'm basically setting up a possible disas

I have been looking and researching and honestly... as bad as I say I want to go... I don't think I can take that much in at least up close.

This type of situation is where I get upset with myself a lot. I want so badly to go and experience something, but I also know I'm basically setting up a possible disas

Sorry about that... My dog felt like she needed my iPad, or my hand off it, and on her.

Basically I think I'm setting up a disaster for myself, but I want to go really bad to go at the same time.
I'm trying to consider some options before I say no.

I always liked this video:

That was really cool, but I noticed nearly everyday there is a massive dust storm, (hence the title I'm guessing). The way they filmed that was awesome. I am wearing my headphones and that is some weird music. : ) Thanks

My parents always used to joke about Burning Man and I never realised what it was until recently. Looks like a rave with twice the amount of LSD.

New Threads

Top Bottom