• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bright lights at night

Pocket86

I am very sensitive to loud sounds and bright lights. My family members are well aware of this. I am also a type 1 diabetic and usually have to use the restroom during the night. My mom who is awake frequently at night, refuses to turn off the bathroom light when she leaves. (We only have 1 bathroom.) When I go in, the light is on and hurts my eyes. It's painful. I have tried telling her and asking her to please turn them off. She still won't do it. Any suggestions or anything I can do to make the light less painful? (Please don't tell me to move out as that is not an option at this time.)

Wear shades?

I have some light sensitivity issues myself which is why I rarely leave the house without my shades; especially during the day.

It might look a bit weird and I can totally see people in your house responding to it.. but hey, whatever works...

I put a night light in our bathroom that turns on when it's dark. At night, it's plenty of light by which to do one's business. If I have to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I don't have to blind myself by turning on the light.
Maybe a night light would provide sufficient light for your mom so she wouldn't need to turn on the bathroom light to begin with?

I also need lights to be low or not on at night. I have installed dimmer switches for most of the lights in our house, allowing me to turn the light level down before turning on the light.

I have often been criticized for how dark the place is, there is enough ambient light from streetlights, neighbor's yardlights etc. to get around with for me.

I have a similar problem, with both light and sound. I started wearing a sleeping mask, and that helps remove the problem of light bothering me. Maybe a sleeping mask will work for you too.

Oh I can so relate to this. I am an incredibly light sleeper and struggle with getting enough REM. If I wake up in the night, and even a streetlight is coming into the window, it will keep me awake. So I drape a heavy blanket over my window before bed and I also keep a fan running, which seems to be the only acceptable background noise I can sleep through.

Maybe your mom would agree to lower wattage bulbs in the bathroom.
Yes, this is what I would do, or use a night light. I have the same issue, and often go to the loo with just the moonlight or streetlight coming in through the window.

Thanks everyone! I am going to try a night light and if that doesn't work, I will resort to wearing sunglasses whenever I have to get up at night.

New Threads

Top Bottom