• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Boys will be boys"

This is reminiscent of the t-shirt that did the rounds in girls shops not too long ago;

"I'm with the band"

That caused outrage...normalising groupie behaviour and suggesting girls can't be musicians but only 'hangers on' to boys and used as eye candy and parties, etc.

Sadly, these are the times, the world in which we live, and people out there defending it... and WE are the ones with issues o_O

I reckon that the saying "boys will be boys" should be used to explain a young mans behaviour only if he does something stupid that doesn't harm anybody else. If he acts irresponsibly or in a manner that caused harm to another person, either physical or mental, then he is no longer just being stupid, he is becoming reckless and dangerous. However this should also apply to girls, too.

The statement is stereotypical of course but what I do see is that where our world is fast-changing, maybe we are sensing that some of these stereotypes don't sit well anymore and we are forever challenging them.

There is another saying "if it ain't broken, why fix it?"

@Sylar
The article's extended analogy seems to have
annoyed you.
Not really, as I said, the current state of journalism leaves much to be desired. It's far too easy for sites to earn clicks and money by using anecdotal experience and flawed logic to make a point that suits political interests rather than any deeper issues that may be at play.

What annoys me is that sub-mentals will share the article regardless and allow the author and publisher to take advantage. The fact that I listed reason why I thought an article making sweeping generalisations was harmful and your response was essentially "you mad bro?" rather than acknowledge anything I said, even if you disagree, means it's probably a waste of my time even trying to take the exchange any further.

I've had female friends and family members be victims of rape, and again, even comparing that awful, traumatic act to a child knocking over some plastic blocks or suggesting that a child knocking over blocks could potentially become a rapist because "they don't respect boundaries" is absolutely disgusting.

I agree with others, in that I've only ever heard it used to excuse bad behaviour, especially behaviour that girls would not have gotten away with.
Being a father of boys and girls, I've never understood this phrase in such a licentious way. Even having different personalities, my wife and I noticed that raising boys (7) seemed more like raising puppies, where raising girls (3) was more like raising kittens. Girls did just as much bad stuff as boys did. It just tended to be different bad stuff. Positive behavior exhibited similar differences which tends to follow paternal traits vs. maternal (even from a very young age).

How boys and girls choose to play in sex-separated groups (absent any misdemeanors) reveals this, too.

One can see the same tendency in that engineers & policemen tend to be male, where teachers & nurses tend to be female.

Last edited:
ac75 civil.png

Had this email back from ASDA:

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to contact us about the recent media coverage you’ve seen about one of our kids George jumpers.
We’re sorry for any offence caused to any customers who have seen this in a negative way, and would like to thank those customers who have commented about their support on the design. Here at Asda our aim is to make clothes people love and never to offend.
We appreciate all our customer feedback and use this to review our ranges throughout the year.
Kind regards

I had emailed to say that there had been adverse reaction on social media but added that I wasn't complaining in the slightest.

New Threads

Top Bottom