• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Both sexes in football/soccer

The scene was at the end of the episode “super hard PCness”.

PC Principal comments to his coworker Strong Woman (i can’t with these names, as she’s satire of the “strong independent woman” trope) that there is a door blocking their way out of the gymnasium. She acknowledges this and PC Principal goes on to say:
“I would like to open this door for you. However, I understand the gender-based biases this can imply.”
Imagine if one of my male coworkers went up to me and said this. It’s literally just a door, open it! LOL

Best point to be made here. Sport is not devided because of gender differences. It is devided because of differences in sex.

Best point to be made here. Sport is not devided because of gender differences. It is devided because of differences in sex.
The problem with using the word gender to represent how one feels psychologically and sex for the biological differences is that historically, gender and sex are synonyms. It became popular in the Victorian era because that lot of prudes didn't want to say the word "sex," which could also mean reproductive and erotic behavior. People who throw "gender reveal" parties are using it according to its historical intent. Gender as psychological identity is still a niche definition.

Changing an existing word's meaning is often a fraught enterprise. Once it becomes a political football, it degenerates into a fight over who controls the language.

c. 1300, "kind, sort, class, a class or kind of persons or things sharing certain traits," from Old French gendre, genre "kind, species; character; gender" (12c., Modern French genre), from stem of Latin genus (genitive generis) "race, stock, family; kind, rank, order; species," also "(male or female) sex," from PIE root *gene- "give birth, beget," with derivatives referring to procreation and familial and tribal groups.

The "male-or-female sex" sense of the word is attested in English from early 15c. As sex (n.) took on erotic qualities in 20c., gender came to be the usual English word for "sex of a human being," in which use it was at first regarded as colloquial or humorous. Later often in feminist writing with reference to social attributes as much as biological qualities; this sense first attested 1963. Gender-bender is from 1977, popularized from 1980, with reference to pop star David Bowie.

-

The problem with using the word gender to represent how one feels psychologically and sex for the biological differences is that historically, gender and sex are synonyms. It became popular in the Victorian era because that lot of prudes didn't want to say the word "sex," which could also mean reproductive and erotic behavior. People who throw "gender reveal" parties are using it according to its historical intent. Gender as psychological identity is still a niche definition.

Changing an existing word's meaning is often a fraught enterprise. Once it becomes a political football, it degenerates into a fight over who controls the language.

c. 1300, "kind, sort, class, a class or kind of persons or things sharing certain traits," from Old French gendre, genre "kind, species; character; gender" (12c., Modern French genre), from stem of Latin genus (genitive generis) "race, stock, family; kind, rank, order; species," also "(male or female) sex," from PIE root *gene- "give birth, beget," with derivatives referring to procreation and familial and tribal groups.

The "male-or-female sex" sense of the word is attested in English from early 15c. As sex (n.) took on erotic qualities in 20c., gender came to be the usual English word for "sex of a human being," in which use it was at first regarded as colloquial or humorous. Later often in feminist writing with reference to social attributes as much as biological qualities; this sense first attested 1963. Gender-bender is from 1977, popularized from 1980, with reference to pop star David Bowie.

-
I completely agree with you. In my language the words for gender and sex are actually exactly the same. Man en vrouw is used for both gender and sex.

The reason I said the thing the way I said it is because it is least likely to be misunderstood by both people who use the words as they were meant to be used and the people who use their own definition of the words.

But myself, I completely agree with your explenation and think it is the way to go. But I also believe the fast majority of the people on this forum believe in the new definition of the word gender. And thus I feel the need to seperate them to get my point across.

With that said. A huge solution for the sports problem with transgender women in particular is to no longer call them men's and women's devisions. But instead call them male and female devisions. With my sincere apologies to people who fit neither of those biological definitions for their exlusion.

This line is satirizing people that claim that men opening doors for women is “sexist” or “anti-feminist.”

I'm wondering what the difference is between "opening a door" for someone and holding a door open for someone is. When I think of "opening a door" for someone I think of someone like a doorman who isn't entering the building, sees someone approach and opens the door for the person to walk in and not have to open the door themselves.

Or is it the situation where someone is entering a building, they start to open the door for themselves, they see someone approaching the same building behind them and the first person holds the door open and offers the other person to enter the building before they do (e.g. "After you.")? To me it's a HUMAN courtesy to allow the person behind you to enter first. I do this. Not all the time depending on how far behind me the next person is, but I do this for men and for women.

Or is is when a person enters a building, sees a person coming close behind them and the first person stops while holding the door until the next person can take hold of the door for themselves to enter rather than the first person letting go of the door (while knowing there's a person basically right behind them) and letting the door close right in front of the second person? Out of the three, this example is a jerk move no matter who the person is. To me it's HUMAN courtesy to hold the door open for the next person rather than letting it "close on their face".

This line is satirizing people that claim that men opening doors for women is “sexist” or “anti-feminist.”
Dang, I always thought it was just the Southern sense of manners I was brought up with as a child. But then I open doors for most anyone directly behind me. Never thought of being polite as being political. My bad...

(As hypocritical as this may be to any number of folks....) :oops:

The person who started this thread hasn't been back yet
after starting it. I still don't know what he had in mind with
his question.

The person who started this thread hasn't been back yet
after starting it. I still don't know what he had in mind with
his question.

Perhaps they didn't either when they posted it. Or maybe they realized that a charity event shouldn't be confused with a gender-based competitive sporting event. Which might explain why they never responded. :oops:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom