• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Big Kid , Stuck in Adult Body, Facing Adult Problems?

...do you D&D not in real time...?
I have when I was teen, but it burned up more time than I had available. I figured, "Why not apply these problem-solving tactics to real-life problems, and see how far I can get?" I have wiped out, but I haven't died as easily as one might in a game.

Send it back if you don't want it but, here -

hugskisses3.jpg
Beverly. How about I keep it and return the love.
hugskisses3.jpg

I guess its the lack of guidance you get after finishing school, you're sudden told you're now in charge of your own destiny after so many years of being told what to do, where to go and how to behave. I feel if I can just a little bit of guidance I might be able to cope more on my own.

Yes, guidance is what I need. Life training for spectrumites. Being taught how to gracefully accept and see value in responsibility for ourselves, our children, when all we really want to do is work on our special interest/be alone/hide, etc.

Seeing the value in responsibility would make it more attractive to me, I think. Make it easier to take on the adult mantle. Problem is, I can see the value in being a responsible, loving parent, but the reward is such a long term one and I am so impatient (ADD?)...

To quote what I once said on facebook on the topic "I can't adult".
This is me as well. I am often conscious of milestones I should have met, daily tasks that I put off, etc. I also feel like there's five years of my life that were just a waste, when I could have spent time developing, but I lost it all to drugs and cruddy relationships with cruddy people.

This is me as well. I am often conscious of milestones I should have met, daily tasks that I put off, etc. I also feel like there's five years of my life that were just a waste, when I could have spent time developing, but I lost it all to drugs and cruddy relationships with cruddy people.
I suppose we have to think grateful were aware and make the best with the now which equals a better future. But I can relate for sure.

Yeah, I've got a rotating circadian rhythm, as I mentioning in the Sleep thread here. If I don't have to alter it artificially, I go to bed at rather od hours but, always wake the same time no matter when I go to bed. (same at home time if I'm traveling, not the local time.)

Diet is another one for me. I have to watch my weight but, keeping consistent meal times or even a consistent nationality to my meals for more than two days in a row, well I haven't managed either yet.

On tour it gets worse for doing almost everything at odd times, and random times but, it's like that for anyone that tours or travels for months on end, moving to a new location ever day or two. The natural rhythms of the human body just can't keep up with that. With mine not being exactly perfect anyway, it all falls apart when I tour.

Yeah, I've got a rotating circadian rhythm, as I mentioning in the Sleep thread here. If I don't have to alter it artificially, I go to bed at rather od hours but, always wake the same time no matter when I go to bed. (same at home time if I'm traveling, not the local time.)

Diet is another one for me. I have to watch my weight but, keeping consistent meal times or even a consistent nationality to my meals for more than two days in a row, well I haven't managed either yet.

On tour it gets worse for doing almost everything at odd times, and random times but, it's like that for anyone that tours or travels for months on end, moving to a new location ever day or two. The natural rhythms of the human body just can't keep up with that. With mine not being exactly perfect anyway, it all falls apart when I tour.
You have an exciting life

Agree with OP, constantly in my life I have been told 'to grow up' 'act your age' 'take things more seriously'. Career wise been an aspie has been mostly negative and has held me back to progress/ climb the promotion ladder of success. Personal life my inner child has needed lots of support and nurturing from the adult me. It's hard to do as the child me just wants to escape the adult me.

RisingPhoenix Not really though I suppose it looks that way from the outside. What you see in public and, in the media isn't all there is to my, or any other celebrity's life. What we do is our job and, like any job you might do for 30 years or more, it gets to be routine to us. The one thing that never gets old is performing, it's what we live for, why we do all of the rest.

That's the biggest part of what you see, you don't see the paperwork, the planning or the hiatus time. (unless we vacation in a popular location where the paparazzi stalk us.) We deal with the same everyday thing anyone does, bills, repairs, transportation arrangements, dogs peeing on the floor, mowing the lawn, cleaning the pool, tripping UP the stairs, forgetting which bed we're in and either rolling out of it or getting up on the wrong side of it and walking into a wall, same things anyone deals with.

Under all of that glitz, glam and air brush work we're just people and we have people problems too. We aren't immune from anything anyone might have to go through or deal with.

I don't think just anyone owns a swimming pool. I mean I know a few people with a pond, but I have not known anyone to have a pool, that's a rich people thing.

Not really, I know a lot of middle class people with pools, some are the above ground kind, but still need cleaned, chlorine and all. I'm talking people that earn under 60K USD annually. Not all of my friends are wealthy. Pretty common around here that people have a pool, even if it is the ones you can buy at Wal Mart for around 200 to 300 USD. They still have filtration systems, need chlorine and need to be cleaned regularly so, to me a pool isn't the sole providence of the wealthy.

It is here though. Pools are big. Take up space. Same space here costs a lot more than there, so you have to be rich to have pools here. So I've never seen people own pools other than shows about the designer houses rich people have where they have pools and fancy features and other rich people things.

Ah, I can see your point unsurewhattoname, it isn't like that here. Even people living in mobile homes and small rentals often have pools like this one. Those are under 300 USD so almost anyone can afford them here and, space isn't such a premium. A few apartments lack yards but, most homes have at least small yard, big enough for those pools.

I guess cleaning the pool wouldn't be a common chore to you like it is around here.

54469.jpg

Yes, I think that my emotional maturity is stuck in my early teenage years, if that makes any sense. I'm childlike in some ways, and have a silly, childish sense of humour :D

To answer the original question in basic terms: I'm presently 39 but see myself developmentally where I should have been at about 25 years old. So you could say my body is presently: NT + 14 (and/or) my mind is NT - 14.

I know the equation would be different for everyone, but maybe we should all try to correlate some type of an Aspie - NT age equation like they do for dogs (ie: To find the age of a dog you multiply their 'human' age by 7).

What's everyone else's NT age conversion equation ?

a-beautiful-mind.jpg

i think im only 4 years behind my body at most. it also depends on what area we are talking about, im fairly mature with some things and other things i struggle with a lot as im still immature (but at most by only half a decade).

New Threads

Top Bottom