• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Big Kid , Stuck in Adult Body, Facing Adult Problems?

Yeah, story of my life, I may grow old but, I'll never grow up. my Aspie bandmate is the same, forever 16 but the body fails to realize that fact. :)

That is a blessing and a curse. it's great to be able to keep a youthful outlook and, thankfully for many of us, a youthful appearance to go with it but, it can also be incredibly frustrating when we can't make ourselves be mature about some adult problems we have no choice but to deal with.

Reminds me of a song
Written on these wall are the stories that I can't explain.
Written on these wall are the colors that I can't change.
I leave my heart open but it stays right here in it's cage.
I'm broken but my heart is still untamed.

(Just part of the song.)

I feel like an older child/preteen being expected to be an adult. I'm not socially mature enough. I remember realising that my peers were developing faster than I was. Not fun feeling left behind, being treated like a kid by them. So yeah, story of my life.

Great song Beverly. Yes usure. Left Behind. Perfect wording. It's lonely and frustrating. I don't have any friends and always wanted a Wife. Feel as if no woman would ever be with me. I struggle with making money and I'm on Social Security. Thank God for that and more. However I'm handsome and loving. *Sigh*

Yep! I feel like I stopped growing on the inside after my early teens. I'm in my forties now and feel like a kid stuck in an adult world full of pain in the arses.

I feel like a kid in the sense that I'm naive, gullible, unable to understand finances/taxes/education systems/economics, etc. But I no longer feel that youthful sense of immortality that I felt 20 years ago. I no longer behave like I've got forever! I hate parties and noise and alcohol and those things I used to copy from other people to seem normal or feel comfortable in social situations. And I worry about my future because I feel that time is running out.

And I don't like playing with my kids much... So I'm not a big kid in that sense, either.

Lately, as I've reached midlife and have come to understand myself better, I've realised I really kind of need someone to look after me. It's a bit scary to admit but it's the conclusion I've come to. I rely on my husband to interpret the big, scary grown up world for me.

i feel exactly like that but then i am only 19 so i am actually really young, i feel sometimes like i closed my eyes to everyone else developing and then opened my eyes and everyone moved past me and I've been left behind it does feel horrible, and when you are aspergic a big kid and develop slowly it is difficult to force yourself to mature faster and catch up.

Great song Beverly. Yes usure. Left Behind. Perfect wording. It's lonely and frustrating. I don't have any friends and always wanted a Wife. Feel as if no woman would ever be with me. I struggle with making money and I'm on Social Security. Thank God for that and more. However I'm handsome and loving. *Sigh*

Handsome and loving, well, that is a very good start - it's launched a few careers that got the guys all the girls that I know of. Just need one more talent to go with that pretty face and big heart. Posing in skinny jeans, playing an instrument, singing, dancing, something the cameras and/or microphones like and, a good agent and, there you go. :)

I feel the same way. I am pretty immature, I don't mean to be, I just am. I find myself doing silly childish things like jumping over things in a playful manner or running when a person my age would probably walk calmly. I do things like that because I think it's fun and it comes naturally. People probably look at me like I'm crazy, while I look at them wondering why they aren't doing something similar.

I suppose I fall into this category.

To quote what I once said on facebook on the topic "I can't adult".

My mind is just not geared toward responsibilities I've been supposed to deal with for 15 years now. It's not to say my mind is occupied with "childish" stuff all the time, but my mind doesn't seem to prioritize things I should be doing compared to people in the early 30's. Every once in a while I realize I'm apparently an adult and things are expected of me... but it just annoys me to no end.

But then again, I'm also on the camp that says "who decided that turning 18 is the universal age for people to be adult and automatically assume everyone has this change of mind overnight".

All of the time, I feel like I'm still 16 and now expected to do all these adult things like going places on my own, meeting up with other people, take initiative to find work. It's just kind of too much to handle. I get depressed over it a lot too. I guess its the lack of guidance you get after finishing school, you're sudden told you're now in charge of your own destiny after so many years of being told what to do, where to go and how to behave. I feel if I can just a little bit of guidance I might be able to cope more on my own.

I never had any of that. No structure, no parenting. Taught myself to cook when I was 3. *drug addict mom* ... I faught so hard to hide my asd while trying to succeed and get away. I'm burnt out and lonely.

I understand about being lonely. I have had a lot of changes though so I'm not as lonely anymore. The troubles and pain we face are only temporary. There's a lot of good in this world, it's just a matter of looking in the right places for it. Here is a good start. :)

I never had any of that. No structure, no parenting. Taught myself to cook when I was 3. *drug addict mom* ... I faught so hard to hide my asd while trying to succeed and get away. I'm burnt out and lonely.

Send it back if you don't want it but, here -

hugskisses3.jpg

I brought in a ringer for my "adult" mode, my inner whiz kid. I just tell him that it's another puzzle to solve --D&D in real-time-- and he's there. (Having the Paraclete is indispensable, too! ;))

Last edited:
I brought in a ringer for my "adult" mode, my inner whiz kid. I just tell him that it's another puzzle to solve --D&D in real-time-- and he's there. (It helps immensely to have the Paraclete, too! ;))

nice idea, do you D&D not in real time i find roleplaying is a great way to express myself and meet people.

New Threads

Top Bottom