• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Best places for me to go with my grandmother

Ephraim Becker

V.I.P Member
My grandmother wants to take me somewhere today so she can spend some time with me. She doesn't want to be in the house all day like I do every single day (excluding prayer services). My grandmother said to me that we can go anywhere within a half hour drive from here. The problem is that I have very limited interests. Also, Manhattan is not an option because it's too crowded because of the holidays. Can you please help me find suggestions of where I can go with my grandmother that interests me?

Ephraim Becker
Since you know what your own interests are,
and you are able to use the internet, how about
searching for things you'd like to do, within a
half hour's drive from your location?

Also, you can talk it over with your grandmother.

The Strong Museum of Play
Rochester Museum & Science Center
George Eastman Museum

Looks like all of these have a cafe and restaurants for your grandmother to go to while you look around or not. You seem to live in an interesting place, and you may have gone to these places already. The Strong museum of play looks fascinating as does the Eastman museum.

Looks like all of these have a cafe and restaurants for your grandmother to go to while you look around or not. You seem to live in an interesting place, and you may have gone to these places already. The Strong museum of play looks fascinating as does the Eastman museum.

Looking at where he posted he's from, unfortunately it would appear that the OP lives in the Greater NYC/Long Island area. That's well beyond 300 miles from upstate Rochester, NY.

Nice museum venues though. We have a few here, but none of them strike me as anything like those I've seen in more major, metropolitan areas of the US. That's one thing I miss for sure.

(I worked for many years with a corporation that had branches in Rochester, NYC and Long Island.)

Last edited:
You're right Judge, I read it as Rochester, NY but its Rockaway. Thanks for the heads up, those museums look pretty interesting though, may take a trip:)

Last edited:
You're right Judge, I read it as Rochester, NY but its Rockaway. Thanks for the heads up, those museum look pretty interesting though, may take a trip:)

Indeed, wish they were a bit closer as well! ;)

But you brought up a valid point. Great Aspie venue....museums.

And NYC has many. Surely a few might be beyond Manhattan? :cool:

Looks as if Rockaway has lots of beaches and outdoor venues, but not a lot of things to do in the winter season.

My grandmother wants to take me somewhere today so she can spend some time with me. She doesn't want to be in the house all day like I do every single day (excluding prayer services). My grandmother said to me that we can go anywhere within a half hour drive from here. The problem is that I have very limited interests. Also, Manhattan is not an option because it's too crowded because of the holidays. Can you please help me find suggestions of where I can go with my grandmother that interests me?
Sometimes I take my grandson to the movies or just to a restaurant to eat. Is there a nearby place you two can eat, maybe just a fast food place you like? Also you might just sit somewhere and talk; encourage your grandmother to tell you stories about when she was young and growing up. You will treasure those memories after she is gone. Blessings!

You didn't say what your interests include. With my granddaughter, her "thing" is video games. She is very reluctant to leave the house and is always miserable when forced to do so. Our best times are sitting on the sofa (that's "outside" her favorite place, her room) with her gaming equipment, and I let her explain all about her games...her favorite characters, their names, their powers, their mission, etc. I can't remember what she tells me, but it amazes me how much she knows! This is a good compromise, she LOVES it, and we are bonded so close, it's wonderful. I just have to be interested in HER and care about what makes her happy, therefore, she feels close to me; she knows I really do care. I love the idea of asking your grandmother to tell about her family history, and her interests. My granddaughter seems to like that but I try not to overdo it. I think a nice day for you both would be going somewhere nearby to eat and then coming home to sit together and tell her about your interests and ask her about family history and interests.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom