• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Best AS TV/movie character? Mine-Android from SyFy's Dark Matter series.

SteveH

V.I.P Member
Hey everyone,

What TV/movie characters are your favorites that represent AS? My favorite is on the Syfy series Dark Matter. The character is called Android, played by Zoie Palmer. Android either has a flaw or was purposefully reprogrammed to be self-conscious/AI. During season one, this character goes through a character arc and grapples with becoming self-aware of this process. She wonders out loud if she is just a dysfunctional android or just as good as other androids but different. It really mirrors many of the self-esteem issues of AS people. In many scenes, she sits around the table with her crew while they engage in chit chat as she follows the discussion and earnestly tries to enter the conversation--very awkwardly--sound familiar? She often takes things too literally and asks the the other characters what they really mean. In season 2, the Android character is given a special chip that allows it/her to interact socially more intuitively--like a NT human. She uses it to pass as human to save a fellow crew member. In the next episode, she takes to chip out and goes back to being non-NT android. She says that this is her real identity--so cool. Such an intense episode and a real role-model for an AS person. --Zoie Palmer's performances as that character is phenomenal. That is my favorite. Zoie Palmer as Android on SyFy's Dark Matter season 1 & 2. What are yours?

Saga Norén from The Bridge, a brilliant Swedish crime show. Overall, she's a fantastic AS character with depth, and highly likeable. Although, her rigid morality leads her to rat on a colleague, who then serves 10 years in jail... but I'd probably do the same.

There's three seasons. They focus on one case per season, which is a favorable format for building suspense.

Saga's AS is somewhat exaggerated at times; for example, she sat with her co-workers on break and said, "I got my period today." I get the feeling that women with AS are unlikely to say that?
She's also extremely open about sex.

Luckily, Saga's partners (police partners) don't seem to mind, and they quickly adapt to working with her. Her differences are rarely demonized.

Anyway, I recommend the hell out of this show. It's on Hulu and a new season airs in 2018.

(I literally made an account just for this.)

Saga Norén from The Bridge, a brilliant Swedish crime show. Overall, she's a fantastic AS character with depth, and highly likeable. Although, her rigid morality leads her to rat on a colleague, who then serves 10 years in jail... but I'd probably do the same.

There's three seasons. They focus on one case per season, which is a favorable format for building suspense.

Saga's AS is somewhat exaggerated at times; for example, she sat with her co-workers on break and said, "I got my period today." I get the feeling that women with AS are unlikely to say that?
She's also extremely open about sex.

Luckily, Saga's partners (police partners) don't seem to mind, and they quickly adapt to working with her. Her differences are rarely demonized.

Anyway, I recommend the hell out of this show. It's on Hulu and a new season airs in 2018.

(I literally made an account just for this.)
just placed it on my watch list

Abed Nadir from Community :p

tumblr_m2scrylEON1qjhttjo1_500.gif

I was always impressed with Josh Hartnett and Radha Mitchell in the film, "Mozart and the Whale".

This IS always fun when you see someone's role that you can really relate to. I'm going to look up SyFy Dark Matter series. I'm into anything related to space. Fictional or factual. Showing my age here, but, the first and probably foremost role on TV I related to was Mr. Spock. As a kid in school, when Star Trek premiered, I would think "What would Spock do?" when in a situation that needed logic. Literal and logical...that's Aspie familiar too.
I also like Data on The Next Generation. Same reasons and he wanted to experience what humans felt but could never seem to get it. ( Me either on so much.)
Today it is Walter on Scorpion. The way each character portrays a different Aspie dominate trait keeps my attention. I see a bit of all in myself.
I did a little quiz on "Do you match a Scorpion Character?" But I knew the answer before I did it. Haha, it ended with Yep, you're a Walter! :D

Yeah, I'll have to pay more attention to the android given her programming change relative to autistic traits and behaviors. Looking forward to season three of "Dark Matter". :cool:

daria [if you have never saw it you need to],tina from bobs burgers, and brick [from 'the middle'],oh and also elliot anderson;from mr robot, he is a hacker with social anxiety disorder but to me he clearly comes off as a spectrumer.

7 of 9 from Star Trek Voyager. She's fully human, yet not quite able to partake in the fullness of human social life. She's very rational, efficient and bluntly delivers her perspective without regard to others feelings. She has difficulty with authority and power structures early on, not understanding the arbitrary nature of human hierarchy, and needs social lessons to integrate better with the rest of the crew. Her best friend is a computer program. Ultimately she finds a fulfilling and meaningful place among her peers who value her distinctiveness.

7 of 9 from Star Trek Voyager. She's fully human, yet not quite able to partake in the fullness of human social life. She's very rational, efficient and bluntly delivers her perspective without regard to others feelings. She has difficulty with authority and power structures early on, not understanding the arbitrary nature of human hierarchy, and needs social lessons to integrate better with the rest of the crew. Her best friend is a computer program. Ultimately she finds a fulfilling and meaningful place among her peers who value her distinctiveness.

Haha I love watching her on that show. Don't know if it really counts as being spectrum because it's from her growing up Borg but it's totally very on ASD style, though is something she'll actually eventually more or less grow out of maybe, too bad they never got to do any Voyager movies to further grow on the characters throughout more years. I would totally loved to of had a few Voyager movies spaced out a few years apart after the show ended.

Does Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock count? I totally heart this character. <3

I think the character Adrian Monk displays AS symptoms also, even though he has OCD. He doesn't care for too much social interaction, as well other stuff.

There was a TV series I like that was cancelled called Second Chance about the twins Otto and Mary.
They could have continued on with that but the reviews said not enough people could relate to the twins relationship. The character Otto was a so perfect relate to for me. Of course I'm no Billionaire, but, always wished I could have been when I was young so I could live like Otto portrayed.

I think Reginald Barkley from ST:TNG/ST:VOY could be one also. I love the way they developed his character.

I hope that one day they do another Star Trek an appropriate amount of time after Voyager so they can knack on some of the older characters a bit more. Would be cool to see Picard as an Admiral (maybe if he wants too), or Riker finally having his own ship, they left with Deanna and Riker getting married and killing Data (which was total BS imo).

New Threads

Top Bottom