• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being Sensitive to Sensitive Issues

AutistheFrog

Resident Paleontology Nerd
Fair warning, this may be a heated topic. I hope we'll all behave! Staff, feel free to clear this thread or lock it if it gets out of hand. I won't mind. Also know that I mean no offense in writing what I'm about to write! I just want to know others' experiences.

Anyway!

I'm very insensitive to sensitive issues. It's not that I don't care, or don't try to understand, but my mind is focused one me, and it's as if I can't see beyond that. So race issues, gender issues, etc., no matter how Liberal I remain, go right over my head. I actually find myself getting unreasonably mad because something belongs to a particular culture, or is said to, and I want to do that thing. Take for example, dreadlocks. I absolutely love dreadlocks and have always wanted them. The issue here is that many African Americans would take offense to that. Instead of being sensitive, it's as if I can't see it from their side at all, even less than other white people. Sometimes I feel bad about that, but it's the way it is. I literally don't understand social issues. I once thought I did, I was good at faking it, but I don't. Somehow, that makes me feel like an awful person. I don't want to be a racist, and I really hope I'm not! :(

Without getting into a debate (I don't want to cause trouble), is it typically hard for people on the Spectrum to understand these kinds of social issues? I'd really feel better knowing if others experience this. I'm confiding in you guys!

Last edited:
In short, many if us have challenges with theory of mind. What you refer to is merely this in a broader scale. Lack of awareness of the perspectives (and sensitivities) of others is but one of the many struggles with social awareness with ASD being a social handicap.

My policy is to simply remain respectful, and be mindful of how I think others MAY feel. I make plenty of social blunders. I surround myself with people who understand my intentions are kind.

It's unusual, but white people do sometimes have dreadlocks. You may be wise to leave off the hats and other paraphernalia connected with Rastafarianism, as that could come across as taking the mickey; but the hair should be fine.

New Threads

Top Bottom