• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bad habits are no good habits.

RandomBogy

Im working on keeping my space clean but it's hard. I have some pretty bad habits when it comes to cleaning my space I hate to admit it but at the age of 21, I still forget about cleaning up after myself. I lived with a hoarder mother, crackhead father, and 4 siblings so we were messy after I moved out of my mother's house to live with my sister I found myself trying to fill my room up with random things and not cleaning as much as I should. Does anyone have any tips to build better habits?

p.s. thank you for the replies on the last post that differently got me pumped to see people actually replie and give me some insight.

Try to think what is the problem. I mean, you say you want to do something but you don't do it. Why? What is the barrier? That's the first step.

Regardless, one useful suggestion is that when tasks are too big, we just get paralyzed. So break down the task. Say, today, you clean or sort things out in one section. That's all. One section. Tomorrow another. Sometimes the problem is starting. Start with something small.

If you managed to have a nice, clean place that makes you feel accomplished, making it messy then feels bad.

I found myself trying to fill my room up with random things
I think it could be important to try to understand why you had this urge. Does empty space make you feel a certain way? What feelings do you get from acquiring "random things?"

Growing up in a hoarding situation likely had a strong influence on how you think about personal space, clutter, and material objects. I think it's important to try to understand the feelings that you have around cleanliness and order.

Another idea that comes to mind is to make sure that you have proper storage first - a bureau, a desk, closet space, shelves. You need a place to put things, but once those spaces are full, you know that it is time to start considering what should be kept and what can be given away or thrown out.

Every time I clean, I am also doing an inventory of items that I own and considering what purpose they have and how much use they get. Sometimes I realize that I have been holding onto things that I just don't use or don't need, and then it is easier to let them go and have fewer things overall to keep tidy.

Im working on keeping my space clean but it's hard. I have some pretty bad habits when it comes to cleaning my space I hate to admit it but at the age of 21, I still forget about cleaning up after myself. I lived with a hoarder mother, crackhead father, and 4 siblings so we were messy after I moved out of my mother's house to live with my sister I found myself trying to fill my room up with random things and not cleaning as much as I should. Does anyone have any tips to build better habits?

p.s. thank you for the replies on the last post that differently got me pumped to see people actually replie and give me some insight.
This reminds me of a rather infamous speech made by Admiral McRaven, in part, about how the simple act of making one's bed every day can set the tone for the day, the week, the year, and one's life.

First of all, acknowledge that cleaning up has some tie in to your disruptive family situation. If you see it in that light, then you won't be so critical of yourself. What feelings do you encounter when you know cleaning is required? Boy, l suffer thru cleaning too. But l have no problem getting rid of things.

@marc_101 and @Rodafina both made valid points that involve self assessment.

Something I've found is that our perspectives as both a person on the spectrum and how we psychologically handle things intermingle in certain ways.

Why do you have a compulsion to full space in a room? It could be a desire to avoid seeing empty space. Or it could be a related issue to feeling a void in your life. Maybe both. Filling a room with things you think will help fill that void in yourself. But in reality, it's more likely that you seek what you are not getting from those you look up to. Compassion, love, understanding. It tends to traumatize the mind of a child. Especially a child on the spectrum. We have expectations that we need met, or it messes with us. And expecting the necessities of a loving family and not getting it, causes perpetual overwhelm. You are living with those who treat you with disrespect and you have no control of it.

But as far as developing good habits. It requires awareness of what you are doing and shifting how you handle it. The change does not have to be immediate. It can be gradual. Like keeping a few items you want to always see in one overall spot, or in many spots where you can see them. Work up from there. Find out what you need and don't need.

Hi @RandomBogy, I struggle with this exact thing as well. I wouldn't consider myself a hoarder, but my grandfather was one and my mother certainly has tendencies. I get very attached to objects and get easily overwhelmed by chaos surrounding me. Some concrete advice I have about this, because it helps me with it:

- Have another person help you do a thorough initial cleaning to get your place tidy and not too cluttered as a starting point. Best would be a person you trust but who's practical, non-emotional towards objects, and efficient. Have that person assign you manageable tasks. I know it feels humiliating but it helps. And once you got your place cleaned up, you can work on keeping it that way. It might be necessary to repeat this step once in a while. When I lived by myself, I needed this forced outside clean-up about 2-3 times a year. It was painful but necessary.

- Sit down and break down the household tasks into little chunks, like "clean up desk", "clean bathroom sink", "clean the living room floor". Best here is to think it through, room by room. Then think how often these things need to be done (daily, several times a week, once a week, twice a month, and so on). If you're unsure, it's better to start by assigning a task too often than too rarely because, in my experience, it's easier to adapt it later than when you're already overwhelmed by beginning chaos. And then create a schedule for yourself with these little chunks, in a convenient way, like not too much on one day, not too many too unpleasant tasks on another day. Now, I haven't been able to stick to this schedule all the time, but at least some of the time. This is especially useful right after the previous step (initial clean-up).
Keep the schedule somewhere visible for you, and if you miss a day, or several, don't try to catch it all up (I try that and it usually leads to desperation and stopping the schedule altogether). Just continue on the day you're at, and try as many day-streaks as you manage.
Edit: If you're not a daily-cleaning person and more a once-a-week-cleaning person, that's fine too, but still think it through and make a plan with the tasks, and plan to do them often enough so the places don't get too dirty/cluttered and still feel manageable.

- Make it easy for yourself to throw things away. For example, I put an empty box next to my desk where every piece of paper and letter goes that I don't need to keep. Once that box is full, I throw it out. That works better than having to get up and go to the paper bin each time I want to throw it away, and less things end up on the ominous "might need it" pile.

- Have boxes where you put things you're unsure about - you don't technically need them but you don't want to throw them out. Once or twice a year, you can look through that box and sort it out. Or, if you manage, even have the motto to throw everything away if you haven't used it in a year.

- Apart from those things-youre-unsure-about-boxes you look at maybe once or twice a year (under supervision, if needed) and easier-trash-boxes, avoid closed storage spaces, like boxes, drawers, etc. At least for me, it's incredibly easy to just keep stuffing things in such spaces and never cleaning them out, until I am completely overwhelmed about that space and, honestly, cry while I try to sort it out. I forget about things I don't see, so I will forget stuff I have if I don't see it and even buy things double. If that's a problem for you too, try to stick to open storage that you can see. If you have closed storage spaces, e.g. fridge, kitchen drawers, put those into the schedule to look through them at regular intervals so they don't get too cluttered up.

- I know that one's an old hat, but "Don't put it down, put it away". That one's really annoying, but it works alright.

- Do something fun doing the clean-ups. For example, I love listening to podcasts and audiobooks, and I always do it while cleaning. No watching series because it slows me down too much.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll add if I think of something else.

Oh, and if you mess up, try not to be too upset about it. Some of us just struggle more with this and that's okay and doesn't make you any less an adult, we all need help sometimes. Take a deep breath, go back to step one and try again.

Last edited:
It's all relative. And it could be worse, especially if you consider the opposite of this particular equation.

I perpetually keep things neat and tidy because I am compelled to do so. Even at times when I'd rather be doing something else. I figure I have an average number of things in the house, but most of them re deliberately placed in specific ways, often relative to other things like walls or furniture. Often having to fight my own impulses when it comes to attempting to randomly place anything just about anywhere.

Though at times I go through periods where I purge certain possessions just to reclaim space. And sometimes I end up lamenting such decisions. And I don't seem to have the ability to hoard much of anything.

-Better known as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Download the app “Atoms”. It’s a habit app created by the guy who wrote the popular self-help book “Atomic Habits”.

On top of it being a habit building app, it also provides all the main advice from his book.

@Judge , l have done that too. Just purge and then regret it. It's like you have to prove to yourself you are in control. Is OCD a nod to control? Because somehow we don't feel in control? I still think about your car just disappearing. That just guts me. I feel so horrible that happened to you. I am pushing my guy to unload his Mercedes because they are stolen.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom