• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic Autism Speaks Co-founders Speaking At Elmira College

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Topic "21st Century Cures: Advances in Autism"

ELMIRA, N.Y. (18 NEWS)

Suzanne and Bob Wright, co-founders of Autism Speaks, will visit Elmira College for “21st Century Cures: Advances in Autism,” on Thursday, October 22 at 6:00 p.m. in Gibson Theatre. The event is free and open to the public.

Autism Speaks, founded in 2005 by the Wrights, the grandparents of a child with autism, has grown into the world’s leading autism science and advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.

Autism is a general term used to describe a group of complex developmental brain disorders –autism spectrum disorders – caused by a combination of genes and environmental influences. These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by social and behavioral challenges, as well as repetitive behaviors. An estimated 1 in 88 children in the U.S. is on the autism spectrum – a 1000 percent increase in the past 40 years that is only partly explained by improved diagnosis.

Mr. Wright will discuss leadership in the field of autism with special focus on the Autism Speaks groundbreaking genome project MSSNG being done in collaboration with Google, in which gene research is being revolutionized in a truly global lab.

Starting Autism Speaks was just the beginning for the Wrights. In 2008, Suzanne and Bob were named in Time 100’s Heroes and Pioneers category, for their commitment to global autism advocacy. They have also received the first ever Double Helix Award for Corporate Leadership from Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, the NYU Child Advocacy Award, the Castle Connolly National Health Leadership Award, the American Ireland Fund Humanitarian Award and the Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy 2011 Leadership Award. In the past few of years the Wrights have received honorary doctorate degrees from St. John’s University, St. Joseph’s University, Fairfield University and UMass Medical School – they delivered respective commencement addresses at the first three of these schools. The Wrights are the first married couple to be bestowed such an honor in St. John’s and Fairfield University’s history.

Bob Wright served as Chairman and Chief Executive Office of NBC Universal and Vice Chairman and Executive Officer of General Electric.

About Autism Speaks
Since its inception in 2005, Autism Speaks has made enormous strides, committing over $180 million to research and developing innovative resources for families. The organization is dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. In addition to funding research, Autism Speaks has created resources and programs including the Autism Speaks Autism Treatment Network, Autism Speaks’ Autism Genetic Resource Exchange and several other scientific and clinical programs. Notable awareness initiatives include the establishment of the annual United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2, which Autism Speaks celebrates through its Light It Up Blue initiative. Also, Autism Speaks award-winning “Learn the Signs” campaign with the Ad Council has received over $316 million in donated media. Autism Speaks’ family resources include the Autism Video Glossary, a 100 Day Kit for newly-diagnosed families, a School Community Tool Kit, a Grandparent’s Guide to Autism, and a community grant program. Autism Speaks has played a critical role in securing federal legislation to advance the government’s response to autism, and has successfully advocated for insurance reform to cover behavioral treatments in 30 states thus far, with legislation continuing to advance in more states. Each year Walk Now for Autism Speaks events are held in more than 95 cities across North America. To learn more about Autism Speaks, please visit www.autismspeaks.org.

About the Presidential Lecture Series
The Presidential Lecture Series focuses on distinguished speakers and topics relevant to the Elmira College mission as well as the global society in the fields of science, religion, media, technology, politics, business, culture, and the arts. The series aims to cultivate academic discourse outside of the classroom and foster a sense of community dedicated to academic excellence and social responsibility. The 2015-2016 Presidential Lecture Series also will feature Garrison Keillor in May 2016. Additional information can be found online at www.elmira.edu/pls.

About Elmira College
Elmira College is a private, coeducational, liberal arts college founded in 1855, located in Elmira, New York. Elmira College’s mission is to offer its students both liberal and professional education of sufficient breadth and depth to enable them to pursue successful, rewarding careers. The College blends academic rigor, distinctive programs, and theory and practice beyond the classroom to prepare students to be tomorrow’s leaders.

Copyright Elmira College

SOURCE: http://www.mytwintiers.com/news/local-news/autism-speaks-co-founders-speaking-at-elmira-college

(So, anyone fancy trying to throw a spanner in the works? :D)
https://www.facebook.com/elmiracollege
https://twitter.com/elmiracollege

Last edited:
I don't like Autism Speaks. They think we need to be cured, but we don't. They also put autistics down all the time. I think there needs to be some intervention. Whenever I hear about Autism Speaks I get really upset. For some reason I just can't handle it.

I don't like them either.
Their stubborn refusal to listen and change frightens me. I wish the "charity" would just disappear.

Is there a "vomit" emoji?

Not on here, sadly.
Will this do you?
angryprojectilevomit_by_ncfwhitetigress-d62wfng.gif
"The Angry Vomit". :D

Last edited:
I did a quick research about Autism Speaks and it seems there has been a few flaws in the past related to legit actions.

And I mainly agree with what that most of you have brought up, the fact regarding their ways of improving this situation, not by offering support for families/people having autism, but rather by doing research in the hope of discovering this "so called" antidote that should heal/cure autistic people from Autism.

It seems that most of these people have trouble understanding the principles of natural selection. Speaking from a scientific point of view, natural selection has caused a set of humans to evolve and get a hold of various genes that are not common within NT people.

Since the way society works is NT prescribed, it is not well adapted for most of autistic people, thus resulting in autistic people having to constraint themselves to NT people.

I mentioned in a previous thread, that there are no right ways to live/to act. From what I have read, in the first post, these people pretty much view Autism spectrum as some sort of nasty virus that needs to be eradicated, while in fact it simply is a branch of genes that has been brought by natural selection, which refers to as a different way to develop/evolve.

Let us assume for a minute that each NT people would bear Asperger traits and vice versa, this would lead society to work in a different way, as we all know the special characteristics that Autism brings. If we translate the context in this post, in my context (in this paragraph), it would mean for Asperger people to cure people not being on the Autism Spectrum disorder (since we would be in majority.)

Despite all this, it seems that implementing systems for supporting children/adults on the Autism Spectrum is more difficult than doing high-end costly researches that barely have a chance of ending up, not soon I presume. Once again, this is a strange reasoning when it comes to solving problems, which seems illogical and putting efforts at the wrong place.

New Threads

Top Bottom