• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism: 'hidden pool' of undiagnosed mothers with condition emerging

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. The article is too long to post in its entirety, so please see the link at the bottom of the page to read the full article)

Experts report growing phenomenon of women recognising themselves as they research their children’s disorders

Rachel Cotton with Deborah (nine) and Michael (seven). Rachel discovered she had autism when researching Deborah’s symptoms. Photograph: Linda Nylind for the Guardian

A “hidden pool” of women who have grown up with undiagnosed autism is coming to light as mothers researching their children’s spectrum disorders recognise themselves in their findings.

“There are far more undiagnosed mothers out there than we have ever thought,” said Dr Judith Gould, lead consultant and former director of the Lorna Wing Centre for Autism who developed the first and only female-specific diagnostic tests, and who trains doctors in how to recognise late adult female diagnosis.

“These women are coming to prominence now because there’s more information on autism in girls and women on the internet, so they can research their children and in doing so, diagnose themselves,” said Gould.

Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, founder of the Autism Research Centre at Cambridge University and the Class clinic, dedicated to diagnosing adults with autism, agreed: “[Undiagnosed mothers are] definitely a growing phenomenon. Putting a number on it is impossible but I’m sure it’s a big number because women seeking diagnoses of autism were likely to be dismissed until just a few years ago, because autism in females was thought to be very rare.”

The National Autistic Society estimates that there are currently about 700,000 people living with autism in the UK – more than one in every 100 of the population. About 20% of autistic people are thought to have been diagnosed as adults, although no national figures for adult diagnosis are available. Anecdotal evidence, however, suggests numbers are rising: Baron-Cohen says that four years ago, 100 cases in Cambridgeshire were referred to his clinic. In the first four months of 2016 alone, it received 400 referrals.

Autism among women and girls has only started to be widely acknowledged in the past two to three years. The men to women ratio is now recognised as being between 3:1 to 2:1, although some experts believe there are just as many females with autism as there are males.

Autistic women are, however, still likely to remain undiagnosed. A survey by the National Autistic Society found that 42% of females have been misdiagnosed, compared with 30% of males, while twice as many women were undiagnosed compared with men (10% compared with 5%).

But experts are warning that these mothers risk having their children forcibly adopted in the fight to get them diagnosed and supported, as social workers misinterpret the parent’s autistic traits as indicating potential harm to the child.

“Their own autism, often undiagnosed, means they put professionals’ backs up and can be accused of causing or fabricating their children’s condition,” said Gould.

Melanie Mahjenta was accused of a rare form of child abuse, fabrication or induced illness (FII), by social services during her fight to get her three-year-old daughter diagnosed with autism.

“Rosie was made a “child in need” because for three and a half years, I kept challenging the doctors who refused to diagnose her,” said Mahjenta. “Looking back, I probably did put people’s backs up because I’m autistic. But I knew how hard life would be for Rosie if I didn’t get her the right support.

“I understand that my autism makes me a difficult person to deal with: I don’t know when to back off when I know I’m right. I can’t look people in the eye, so I come over as being shifty. Autistic people get hyper-focused but they mistook my obsession as a sign I was unstable.

“But although those traits are hard for people to deal with, my autism was ultimately a good thing,” she added. “Perhaps a neurotypical person would have thought the doctor knew best and backed off. Or they would have stopped fighting because they feared losing their child. But I fought on and because of that, Rosie has finally been diagnosed with autism.”

New research written by Baron-Cohen, Alexa Pohl of the Autism Research Centre and Monique Blakemore of Autism Women Matter has found that one in five mothers of an autistic child, regardless of whether the mother had a diagnosis herself, has been assessed by social services. One in six of those mothers reported that their children had been forcibly placed for adoption through a court order.

“These are very worrying statistics,” said Baron-Cohen. “Whether these mothers have a formal diagnosis or not, if a lot of these mothers who have autistic children have undiagnosed autism themselves, they might struggle with communication with professionals and appear confrontational rather than diplomatic. The risk is that social services see this as a difficult mother rather than recognising her communication issues are a part of her own disability.”

Dr Catriona Stewart, founder of the Scottish Women’s Autism Network, who has studied autism for over 10 years, described “a hidden pool of women who have grown up with undiagnosed autism”.

She said: “These women can finally recognise the condition in themselves because they can use the internet to research their children’s condition, then seek a diagnosis for themselves from a world that’s finally ready to acknowledge them.”

Full Article: Autism: 'hidden pool' of undiagnosed mothers with condition emerging

Before I had my son I was misdiagnosed numerous times and because I was trying so hard to figure out what was wrong myself and understood so much because of my psych degree, psychologist started just treating me as a hypochondriac or like I was trying to get a certain diagnoses (why in the hell would I want to be labeled?!). By the time I learned about ASD and aspergers it sounded just like my twin brother and somewhat like me but I didn't dare do anything to pursue help or treatment. In my research trying to help my son I have also read articles about girls with ASD and people with ADHD and ASD and it all just has made everything make so much sense. I got up the courage to tell a spec. ed teacher that tested my son for an IEP (he didn't qualify, not enough cognitive or speech problems) what I think she completely dismissed me. "Oh I doubt your going to get that diagnoses" she laughed, as if I were making a bid to win it. WTF?! She spent maybe an hour with my son in an environment without tons of people, noise, distractions that would overstimulate him to the point that you see it. I know I have aspergers/ HFA but I also know I am good at coping and very verbal and intelligent. I trained myself to make eye contact. In other words it is hard to see my autism. Even for myself I adapted as an adult just enough to no longer appear autistic, just strange. How do I get help for my son, let alone myself when even people who know about HFA refuse to accept that someone "high functioning" could have autism?

I feel this very acutely. But mine is a bit of the reverse. I discovered that I had Asperger's when I had my son, wasn't coping well and made a list of all the things I was struggling with and took them to a psychotherapist. I have been diagnosed HFA and have been up front about my diagnosis with my son's doctors, but so far no one will explore the possibility of HFA in his case even though he has many of my symptoms. They say he has ADHD which is reasonable but that he just learned the autistic behaviors from me--even though I was observing and noting them even before I knew about ASD. My husband is not supportive of testing son for ASD because he doesn't want him to have that label, can't even talk about autism at home (which my husband calls "the a-word") so my son doesn't understand why I need certain things or act a certain way.

Meanwhile I am always struggling at work and at home, trying to keep up with so many demands with no support because no one gets why I can't just deal with things normally because I appear normal most of the time. I am too different to cope with "normal" life but not "disabled enough" to get help. Recently I looked into a community farm because I thought leaving the house might help, giving me and my family a little distance. I don't really qualify as I am not disabled to that degree. But I do feel as if my presence in our house hurts rather than helps most situations. I just don't think I can live on my own very well, have never managed all that for very long before I am overwhelmed and start neglecting tasks.

New Threads

Top Bottom