• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism fakers

This is driven by Quora, I just got a message from the site I guess the algorithm detected this discussion and it feeding itself. I do not use social media. lets not feed the beast. Many on this site are parents of autistic's. not autistic themselves.

All of those conditions you mentioned that are similar to ASD are mental health disorders. Despite the fact that many symptoms of ASD are also symptoms of mental health disorders, there is a popular belief that ASD is genetic or neurological. Because of that, I think a big reason people self-diagnose ASD is to avoid the stigma of being labeled mentally ill or negative reactions that result from it. For example, tell people you're too depressed to work and most people will interpret that as you being too lazy to work. Tell them you're autistic and they're more likely to understand.
This seems possible but doubtful to me. Thanks.

Last edited:
It may be divisive but that does not mean it should not be discussed. These people exist, it has been spoken about in previous replies. I find it morally reprehensible to fake a disability.

I didn’t say that they don’t exist nor did I not state my own feelings about it. In fact, I Did say that it was annoying because by pretending, they can do a lot of damage and can make it difficult for those who are looking for acceptance and understanding Among other things Because preconceptions are already there. Just like how it is difficult for women on the spectrum to be diagnosed because of preconceptions that it’s only a male condition causing women to go misdiagnosed for years. I used the bi polar example because I remember the fallout. I also have the same feeling regarding people who fake other things to either gain financial support to play a system.

Despite my reservations and annoyance about it, I have learnt that this discussion can be perceived as negatively impactful. When I was newly officially diagnosed (I was 16) I joined a forum, I came across a person who was supposedly on the spectrum (self diagnosed), I was extremely skeptical about it because I was struggling to find acceptance to something that I perceived to be the end of everything to what I hoped would be normal *to be fair it felt like the end of the world. It turned out that they had been lying the whole time, quite a few people felt betrayed and someone decided to post a similar thread as yours. This led to a debate regarding Official diagnosis vs self diagnosis, and that became quite nasty.

I don’t like people who are lying about any condition. Why would anyone pretend to have it? I would do anything to be able to not have meltdowns, or overloads or even social burnouts.

I didn’t say that they don’t exist nor did I not state my own feelings about it. In fact, I Did say that it was annoying because by pretending, they can do a lot of damage and can make it difficult for those who are looking for acceptance and understanding Among other things Because preconceptions are already there. Just like how it is difficult for women on the spectrum to be diagnosed because of preconceptions that it’s only a male condition causing women to go misdiagnosed for years. I used the bi polar example because I remember the fallout. I also have the same feeling regarding people who fake other things to either gain financial support to play a system.

Despite my reservations and annoyance about it, I have learnt that this discussion can be perceived as negatively impactful. When I was newly officially diagnosed (I was 16) I joined a forum, I came across a person who was supposedly on the spectrum (self diagnosed), I was extremely skeptical about it because I was struggling to find acceptance to something that I perceived to be the end of everything to what I hoped would be normal *to be fair it felt like the end of the world. It turned out that they had been lying the whole time, quite a few people felt betrayed and someone decided to post a similar thread as yours. This led to a debate regarding Official diagnosis vs self diagnosis, and that became quite nasty.

I don’t like people who are lying about any condition. Why would anyone pretend to have it? I would do anything to be able to not have meltdowns, or overloads or even social burnouts.
I have no idea really why people would want to. They must have a need so I do have sympathy for them to an extent, despite me finding it hurtful.

ive seen this “challenge” on TT where people would mock autistic people and use the r-slur. A splatoon YouTuber I watch (who is also autistic and has epilepsy if I recall) once had somebody send her GIF’s of flashing images to trigger a seizure in her for his own entertainment. The “autism mockers” only self dx so they can mock us (not ppl suspecting they are autistic and self dxing in a healthy manner)

A lot of television portrays autism sort of Carachures of Aspe's is it offensive or just good entertainment.
personally I liked House, and Bones, wife likes big bang theory.

I'm starting to worry slightly that 'our' spectrum is starting to become a bandwagon to jump on. We are no longer the ones driving it and, because we were born on it, we cannot jump off.

'Our' spectrum seems to be the 'must have' thing in so many shows now. On the massive plus side the voice actor who plays the part in this one is 'one of us' so to speak.

A lot of television portrays autism sort of Carachures of Aspe's is it offensive or just good entertainment.
personally I liked House, and Bones, wife likes big bang theory.

It depends on the writers. In the case of Sheldon Cooper (Who I am dead tired of being compared to) no one has ever flat out said he had any form of autism.

He was a child prodigy whose brain matured faster than the rest of him. And in fairness, Missy and Georgie were no idiots either, they just had better social skills.

Temperance Brennan isn't autistic either. Her social skills issues early in the series stemmed from abandonment issues after the death of her parents (at the time she believed her father was dead) and being left in foster care since her brother wouldn't take care of her.

The problem is, people see these characters and say, "Oh, that fictional character is just like you."

Then they turn around and tell me that I don't know the difference between reality and fantsy.

It depends on the writers. In the case of Sheldon Cooper (Who I am dead tired of being compared to) no one has ever flat out said he had any form of autism.

He was a child prodigy whose brain matured faster than the rest of him. And in fairness, Missy and Georgie were no idiots either, they just had better social skills.

Temperance Brennan isn't autistic either. Her social skills issues early in the series stemmed from abandonment issues after the death of her parents (at the time she believed her father was dead) and being left in foster care since her brother wouldn't take care of her.

The problem is, people see these characters and say, "Oh, that fictional character is just like you."

Then they turn around and tell me that I don't know the difference between reality and fantsy.
Temperance Brennancaractre was actually based on autistic model just toned down a bit the actress that played her admitted to this. I did my research; it is still fiction a tv show. We have no control how the rest of the world views us.

I think so, despite the fact that she claimed that she had been professionally diagnosed. Basically, she was saying in a sort of prideful voice, that she has autism and aspergers, which I am pretty sure, just cannot happen? Plus, I had a real sense that she was using this "diagnosis" to be very rude. However, according to her gran, she does have at least one of those, but there is one time, I was talking to a chap and I felt a distinctive sense of familiarity and so did my husband and we both said: bet he has aspergers!

I "met" someone who joined here, but after chatting with her, it clearly came across that she was an NT, despite her trying to argue differently. But, it was a wasted argument, since I did not get involved to that extent, since at the time, I was self diagnosed.

I never play games, like real life puzzles is this turning into a debate on fictional characters being on the spectrum. The spectrum is a continuum, even physics works this way. life is just a big fractal. the beginning determines the end. So obvious to picture in my head, my physics thread sort of tries to get it across to others.

I know a ton of autism fakers. I know more fakers than actual autistics at this point.

I used to be part of an IRL autism group. It got overtaken by people who wanted to be quirky and convinced all their friends to be quirky, too. They dominated the group and made the autistic people so uncomfortable, we all left.

Others are condescending to me. They're perfectly fine and have never had an issue in their life, so when I have issues, they tell me I'm being dramatic or faking. Even better is when they use up all the resources that I and others I know need, because places don't or can't require people to bring in doctors notes or force people to disclose.

People who bullied me in high school are pretending to be autistic because it's "fun" and "quirky".

I think this is actually going to be a serious problem in the autism community, especially with how places like ASAN and AWN accept anybody who thinks they might be autistic as 100% autistic. I don't go around saying I'm autistic anymore (despite my previous love of advocacy) because fakers have started making it look so bad.

My autistic traits make me an outcast and unable to survive in society, but now people think it's just a fun personality trait.

I know a ton of autism fakers. I know more fakers than actual autistics at this point.

I used to be part of an IRL autism group. It got overtaken by people who wanted to be quirky and convinced all their friends to be quirky, too. They dominated the group and made the autistic people so uncomfortable, we all left.

Others are condescending to me. They're perfectly fine and have never had an issue in their life, so when I have issues, they tell me I'm being dramatic or faking. Even better is when they use up all the resources that I and others I know need, because places don't or can't require people to bring in doctors notes or force people to disclose.

People who bullied me in high school are pretending to be autistic because it's "fun" and "quirky".

I think this is actually going to be a serious problem in the autism community, especially with how places like ASAN and AWN accept anybody who thinks they might be autistic as 100% autistic. I don't go around saying I'm autistic anymore (despite my previous love of advocacy) because fakers have started making it look so bad.

My autistic traits make me an outcast and unable to survive in society, but now people think it's just a fun personality trait.
1. I like your pfp :) my fav Beatles song is help me
2. 10000000% agree with you. I’m friends with a mom that has a four year old non verbal autistic son (he’s only capable of saying hi so far and needs more support in his day to day life). If you enter ANY online group dedicated to autism (except here) they’ll tell you ASAP that self diagnosing is OKAY in any regard.

It's sad that you feel you've been pushed out of autism advocacy because more vocal people who may not be autistic but think they are or want to be have co-opted that group.

There's a new movement in autism awareness to focus on "intersectionality", to focus or at least bring light to how autism affects specific sections or groups of people (e.g. racial, sexual, gender, etc) in ways that may not affect autistic people who are not in those groups. In theory I see nothing wrong with that. Also, in practice I see nothing wrong with it either; however...in my own personal experience with being part of an autism group and participating in a state level autism organization, the tendency is that more vocal "intersectional" groups can co-opt the autism community at large which can end up doing the same (becoming exclusive rather than inclusive) which was the opposite of its supposed intent. And that's wrong.

You mention ASAN and they're an example I'd give which speaks to a trend of purporting to be inclusive (ie advocating for all autistic people) but actually being exclusive. ASAN is a political organization which again purports to be for all autistic people but clearly it has a very "left leaning" political stance. While I personally do not consider myself to be either "left leaning" or "right leaning", a "left leaning" organization is exclusive to "right leaning" autistic people. If the organization purports to be for ALL autistic people but is critical of, opposed to or even against those with political ideologies that differ from the organization's, that's wrong.

Last edited:
1. I like your pfp :) my fav Beatles song is help me
2. 10000000% agree with you. I’m friends with a mom that has a four year old non verbal autistic son (he’s only capable of saying hi so far and needs more support in his day to day life). If you enter ANY online group dedicated to autism (except here) they’ll tell you ASAP that self diagnosing is OKAY in any regard.
Thank you! Help is such a good song. The whole album is one of my favourites.
Yeah, online communities are hard for me. I don't feel like I fit into any of them.
It's sad that you feel you've been pushed out of autism advocacy because more vocal people who may not be autistic but think they are or want to be have co-opted that group.

There's a new movement in autism awareness to focus on "intersectionality", to focus or at least bring light to how autism affects specific sections or groups of people (e.g. racial, sexual, gender, etc) in ways that may not affect autistic people who are not in those groups. In theory I see nothing wrong with that. Also, in practice I see nothing wrong with it either; however...in my own personal experience with being part of an autism group and participating in a state level autism organization, the tendency is that more vocal "intersectional" groups can co-opt the autism community at large which can end up doing the same (becoming exclusive rather than inclusive) which was the opposite of its supposed intent. And that's wrong.

You mention ASAN and they're an example I'd give which speaks to a trend of purporting to be inclusive (ie advocating for all autistic people) but actually being exclusive. ASAN is a political organization which again purports to be for all autistic people but clearly it has a very "left leaning" political stance. While I personally do not consider myself to be either "left leaning" or "right leaning", a "left leaning" organization is exclusive to "right leaning" autistic people. If the organization purports to be for ALL autistic people but is critical of, opposed to or even against those with political ideologies that differ from the organization's, that's wrong.

Yes, that political stuff seems to be what's happening. I love ASAN in theory (I've spoken with some of the higher-ups in the past and I believe they have really good intentions) but they're very political. When I follow autism groups or organizations on social media, it seems like half the posts aren't even related to autism anymore. Even online autism communities are like that now. There's no place that's just by autistics for all autistics.

I'm left-leaning, so I fit into those places for the most part, but there's an issue with a type of environment where people can get thrown out or mocked for having other opinions (especially when that seems like something that autistic people in general face in their everyday lives already).

I've had thoughts of trying to start my own autism group. I'd love to make something to help nonverbal people specifically (I've heard it's ridiculously hard and long to get AAC devices, which seems ridiculous). I'm not going to make any more social groups, though. I can't handle getting pushed out of my own community by fakers again.

Thank you! Help is such a good song. The whole album is one of my favourites.
Yeah, online communities are hard for me. I don't feel like I fit into any of them.

Yes, that political stuff seems to be what's happening. I love ASAN in theory (I've spoken with some of the higher-ups in the past and I believe they have really good intentions) but they're very political. When I follow autism groups or organizations on social media, it seems like half the posts aren't even related to autism anymore. Even online autism communities are like that now. There's no place that's just by autistics for all autistics.

I'm left-leaning, so I fit into those places for the most part, but there's an issue with a type of environment where people can get thrown out or mocked for having other opinions (especially when that seems like something that autistic people in general face in their everyday lives already).

I've had thoughts of trying to start my own autism group. I'd love to make something to help nonverbal people specifically (I've heard it's ridiculously hard and long to get AAC devices, which seems ridiculous). I'm not going to make any more social groups, though. I can't handle getting pushed out of my own community by fakers again.
Can confirm. I used to have FB and most of if not all posts in “autism groups for autistic adults“ focus on politics and discourse from my experience (LGBTQ+ rights are NOT politics)

Can confirm. I used to have FB and most of if not all posts in “autism groups for autistic adults“ focus on politics and discourse from my experience (LGBTQ+ rights are NOT politics)
Oof, I was in a couple of those. I had to leave them. The only posts actually about autism were about how to get diagnosed (including a few "my doctor said I don't have it, can someone give me recs for a doctor who will say I do?" posts). There wasn't anything about how to exist as an autistic adult or advice or anything like that.

Being autistic to be NT is a continuum, us humans like to label stuff, having worked with colour and its Measurment over my career where does red start and orange begin. or even better where does red turn into pink. I never used label when I worked with colour, a sales thing. for me it was about numbers and how close could I control them, Different substrates, resin systems suppliers, treatment systems and primers or clear coats. I think this is a good analogy for differences in people.

New Threads

Top Bottom