• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and teeth...

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
I guess I always try and find comparisons in everything in life. Its just something I do .

As for teeth, I never got all of my permanent adult teeth. Here I am raging against middle aged and recently lost my last baby tooth (second back from left front tooth). It makes me even more self conscious, because even a small smile and now I have a hole where a nice little tooth used to be. Sucks...

I was just wondering if anyone else never got all their adult teeth. I never got wisdom teeth either - I guess I wasn't smart enough : )

Never really had any teeth problems till lately... I have a couple of cavities (one is starting to hurt) I have to go get taken care of soon... I'm terrified but I don't want to be, or show it. The very thought of this is stressful, but such is life.

Just curious... : )

I don't know if teeth problems are an Aspie trait or not. Personally I went about 40 years without going to the dentist and had no problems other than getting a deep cleaning. Last time I went to the dentist I had waited for 2 years because the previous time I went the lady said that I would get a deep cleaning again. Anyway, after being away for 2 years I told the new hygienist that I wasn't going to get a deep cleaning. He looked at my mouth and said that I didn't need anything other than the regular cleaning and xray and examination by the doctor. He said that I should just keep on doing whatever it was that I was doing. Then caught himself and added that I shouldn't wait 2 years again. Earlier during the exam he asked if I had gone somewhere else during the past 2 years. Mouth chemistry and good self care?

I guess I always try and find comparisons in everything in life. Its just something I do .

As for teeth, I never got all of my permanent adult teeth. Here I am raging against middle aged and recently lost my last baby tooth (second back from left front tooth). It makes me even more self conscious, because even a small smile and now I have a hole where a nice little tooth used to be. Sucks...

I was just wondering if anyone else never got all their adult teeth. I never got wisdom teeth either - I guess I wasn't smart enough : )

Never really had any teeth problems till lately... I have a couple of cavities (one is starting to hurt) I have to go get taken care of soon... I'm terrified but I don't want to be, or show it. The very thought of this is stressful, but such is life.

Come to think of I only lost a few baby teeth ,I got a wisdom teeth but don't wish for them it's painful.
I lost a lot of teeth ,my choice ,asthma would make the dentist a lot harder.

I lost all of my baby teeth and I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. It was torture when they were coming in, alot of pain from grinding wasn't helping at all. I almost had them removed by a bad doctor but decided not to go through with it for my own sanity and I later found out that it would have messed with my jaw alignment (I have a slight TMJ too) so they are staying permantently.

A bunch of my baby teeth had to be pulled out when i was an adolescent, because they weren't falling out on their own. (I had permanent teeth underneath them, though.)

I have all of my wisdom teeth but they developed late. I'm in my early 30s and the last one has just started poking through my gums.

Throughout my childhood, my dentist said my teeth were about 2 years behind. I had to get my last baby tooth removed when I was 13 in order to get braces.

My baby teeth were all shed by the age of six.
But, I do have a strange inner jaw line. It never
developed large enough for adult teeth and as they
grew in they would be lop sided or not able to come
out but maybe just a point. So I had to have 8 of my
adult teeth pulled in order to have room for the rest.

Same here bad dentist though he was struck off

One of my aunts had three sets of teeth. Other family members had strange issues with teeth also. I think several got extra teeth. I figure they must be related to sharks, which keep growing new teeth. They act like sharks too. (Jaws music).:eek::D

Same here bad dentist though he was struck off

My orthodontist had me wear a retainer with a palatal expansion screw in it to widen my jaw so that all my teeth would fit (and then I had braces for a few years after that)...I don't know why some dentists and orthodontists pull teeth when they don't have to; Palatal expanders have been around for over 100 years (invented in the 1800s).

My orthodontist had me wear a retainer with a palatal expansion screw in it to widen my jaw so that all my teeth would fit (and then I had braces for a few years after that)...I don't know why some dentists and orthodontists pull teeth when they don't have to; Palatal expanders have been around for over 100 years (invented in the 1800s).
Lazy or ignorant

I had a lot of my teeth pulled out, due to string antibiotics (illegal in most of the world) killing the majority of my baby teeth. So now I have no baby teeth and four adult molars, fortunately the teeth that grew back in hadn't been killed by the antibiotics.

One of my aunts had three sets of teeth. Other family members had strange issues with teeth also. I think several got extra teeth. I figure they must be related to sharks, which keep growing new teeth. They act like sharks too. (Jaws music).:eek::D

I think my mum had extra teeth -- not a whole extra set, though.

It would be a great thing if all humans grew multiple sets of teeth, given how much tooth decay we seem to experience as a species. (The teething process would suck, though.)

@Chance, if you aren't going to grow a new tooth where the recently lost one is, would you be able to get a false tooth (I mean, if you wanted one)?

They do ones that just hook onto the neighbouring teeth with wire, or they can permanently implant a false tooth into your jaw.

I have a nice smile, teeth wise until I smile a little more. And yuck. My teeth are in a terrible state. I guess I wasn't brushing them enough or good enough.

I clench my jaw and Fri d my teeth a lot. I also grit them tight together when I get little inner bursts of anger. I get so many so often, I probably smashed my teeth enamel to bits. One day I may get rich and fix them :)

I have a nice smile, teeth wise until I smile a little more. And yuck. My teeth are in a terrible state. I guess I wasn't brushing them enough or good enough.

I clench my jaw and Fri d my teeth a lot. I also grit them tight together when I get little inner bursts of anger. I get so many so often, I probably smashed my teeth enamel to bits. One day I may get rich and fix them :)

I'm Mr. Solemn anyway... Sometimes I just feel fake smiling anyway. I don't really frown, I don't really smile... Hell I don't even know what I do now that you mentioned it... I'm also a teeth grinder at night I wake myself up as they pop... Its not good and I know it, but have no idea how to stop it.

I was sleeping with a molded athletic guard in my mouth but I ground through it and I think I swallowed a piece of it. Woke up kind of choking with a spit soaked pillow.... super gross!

I didn't know it was even possible to have your baby teeth well into adult life. I lost my last baby tooth when I was almost 13. I remember I had lost my second last one shortly prior. My classmates made fun of me for still losing one so late. I lost one more after that, again at school. I didn't want anyone to know so I just shoved it deep into a messy desk. I can just imagine the reaction of whoever found that eventually. :tonguewink:

My teeth are in pretty good shape. I haven't been to a dentist in several years but as of my last visit I still had no cavities in any of my adult teeth. Now, I'm not so sure. I brush twice a day and floss every evening.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out when I was 18. "Dug out" would be a better term for the bottom 2 which were severely impacted. Rotated forward about 100 degrees from the vertical position. I had to be put under for the job. For a few days afterward my gums were so swollen I could not physically contact my upper and lower sets of teeth together and ate mostly pudding and mashed up peas.

I didn't know it was even possible to have your baby teeth well into adult life. I lost my last baby tooth when I was almost 13. I remember I had lost my second last one shortly prior. My classmates made fun of me for still losing one so late. I lost one more after that, again at school. I didn't want anyone to know so I just shoved it deep into a messy desk. I can just imagine the reaction of whoever found that eventually. :tonguewink:

My teeth are in pretty good shape. I haven't been to a dentist in several years but as of my last visit I still had no cavities in any of my adult teeth. Now, I'm not so sure. I brush twice a day and floss every evening.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out when I was 18. "Dug out" would be a better term for the bottom 2 which were severely impacted. Rotated forward about 100 degrees from the vertical position. I had to be put under for the job. For a few days afterward my gums were so swollen I could not physically contact my upper and lower sets of teeth together and ate mostly pudding and mashed up peas.

I had all four impacted wisdom teeth extracted surgically in my early thirties. I can remember the swelling :)
and the bit of physio with the wooden tongue depressors (stack 'em up, insert into mouth, increase the quantity each day to stretch and work the jaw muscles)
Rice pudding, cold custard and mashed potato was pretty much all I wanted to eat.

Approximately 4 weeks ago I had my first (conscious) extraction.
I found a fantastic dentist who knows I'm a nervous wreck and that I have to know every detail. What I'll feel, what I'll hear, the whole process from start to finish, which nerve he's numbing and so on. He's either very, very passionate about what he does or he's on the spectrum. Or both.

I have a mouth guard as I grind the he'll out of them. Had impacted wisdom teeth which have been removed

I've never had a cavity and I have all 32 teeth. Before my wisdom teeth came in, in my teens, the dentist was telling me that they could be seen on the X-ray but there wasn't enough room in my mouth for them so he wanted to extract them. Well, I said no, and they did fit, and I still have them all, and the rest of my teeth are straight as well. Though I used to get my teeth cleaned every once in a while, I don't even bother going to the dentist anymore (I really hate having someone else sticking things in my mouth anyway). Quite often, when I did go to the dentist, I was congratulated for how well I look after my teeth (or scolded for not flossing enough). I brush my teeth at least once a day and floss sometimes. I get tartar behind my bottom front teeth and I remove it myself with a dental pick (the kind hygenists use). My paternal grandmother had all her own teeth at 96 and I intend to as well. I was blessed with well-spaced teeth and I think that's why they are so easy to keep healthy.

New Threads

Top Bottom