• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and PTSD

OmoriKinnie

Really likes Basil
I have autism and one of my friends has PTSD. We identify with each other very well, so you could say we just click. What are the similarities between autism and PTSD? What are the differences? I'll do my own research on PTSD (already having the personal experience with autism), but I may want help from yall, too. See the attached text conversation for more info.
20230720_085133.jpg

Interestingly, it's not uncommon for a large number of people with ASD to have secondary PTSD due to a variety of factors. On top of that, there are a lot of overlapping symptoms between mental health diagnoses (like anxiety, depression, social withdrawal, etc) which can really make things trickier... and that's not even mentioning the comorbidities that lots of people have, making things even more confusing!

Thankfully, professionals are really good at untying those knots and getting to the root of the issue; nobody's perfect, but they can typically help you reframe the picture of your mental health and see things clearer.

I think the way we process things creates trauma not recognized by the DSM. in my case it was social and sexual isolation at critical points in my life when I did not know, and nobody knew, I was autistic. Social dysfunction started things, but my mind amplified negative thoughts about myself because I was the common denominator. I feel very sad when I see autistic people feel negatively about themself. We all have contributions to make given half a chance and all we ask is acceptance.

Last edited:
I have autism and one of my friends has PTSD. We identify with each other very well, so you could say we just click. What are the similarities between autism and PTSD? What are the differences? I'll do my own research on PTSD (already having the personal experience with autism), but I may want help from yall, too. See the attached text conversation for more info.View attachment 109559
I have complex ptsd and it makes autism and adhd so much worse. It is hard having these things and dyregulation and triggers.
It is the same with autism as ptsd or cptsd is that people experience these things different.
I think a lot of autistics get used and abused in life and some may have fractured childhoods so it is probably something that is common in autistics.
They use and abuse us because we are vulnerable and naive.

New Threads

Top Bottom