• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and mindfullness/restlesness

Merete

Fairy
Hi, I have big trouble with restlessness these days- and I have decided to read more about the topic so I may understand how to get back into a more mindful state. I often have this problem. Whatever I try to do, I get restless. It just gets too painful, and I need to stop. I get that this maybe has to do with unresolved emotions. But, I can not just go meditate or sit still... Or do yoga.. Or whatever. It is just too painful. I need something more to be "still". What do you do when you feel like this? How do you get in a more mindful state? And do you have a booktip for me? :D THAAAAANK YOOOOOU. Really need that booktip. I procrastinate. And I do not. whaaat

You may just have to suffer through the pain of meditation until you can become mindful again because it seems to me that you're in a cycle that needs to be broken. It reminds me of when I start exercising. It sucks at first but the more I do it the less painful it becomes. You could try using Valerian root, Chamomile or some other legal herb to get you relaxed before you meditate.

I feel you! It's very hard for me to do these things as well. But how about trying out active meditation-like activities? Any creative activity, from doodling to even cooking, I find myself getting absorbed by these kinds of things. Also, nature! It really has a meditation-like effect, soothing the mind, helping with attention & focus, recalibrating things.

Hi, I have big trouble with restlessness these days- and I have decided to read more about the topic so I may understand how to get back into a more mindful state. I often have this problem. Whatever I try to do, I get restless. It just gets too painful, and I need to stop. I get that this maybe has to do with unresolved emotions. But, I can not just go meditate or sit still... Or do yoga.. Or whatever. It is just too painful. I need something more to be "still". What do you do when you feel like this? How do you get in a more mindful state? And do you have a booktip for me? :D THAAAAANK YOOOOOU. Really need that booktip. I procrastinate. And I do not. whaaat
Meditation For Dummies may illuminate some of the specific difficulties you mention. I highly recommend it, especially the mindfulness meditation section.

I've been practising mindfulness meditation for a few years now, and find it immensely helpful. I am far less anxious, do not get overwhelmed as much, and am far better at concentrating on things outside my special interest. But yes, it is very difficult to learn, for everyone, and it actually gets harder to begin with, not easier. I'd say it's one of the most difficult things that you can ever try to learn. If you are a restless person it makes it even more difficult, but like J.T. said, if you truly want to learn you have to push through the pain.

Think of it like training to do a marathon after sitting on your sofa eating crisps and getting fat your entire life, and to make it worse your body is almost entirely controlled by some lazy idiot who refuses to get up and do what you want. After a few years of effort you might be able to get yourself to crawl across the floor to the door, and that will be a massive achievement.

There are some good apps to teach meditation, Headspace is the most well known I think.

Huh, rambling much... sorry :kissing:

I don't think you have to be still to be mindful, I think it's just about being aware and in tune with yourself in the present moment -- regardless of what you may be doing.

New Threads

Top Bottom