• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies: What Upsets You?

The title tells it all, what are your triggers and other things that bother you?

I have many things that bother me, but some examples are:
-The smell and texture of cat food. ABSOLUTELY HATE IT, but I own cats and that makes my encounters with it unavoidable
-When people touch my possessions or drawings. To better explain what I mean for the second one, if I'm drawing something, and somebody else decides to add something to it, or better yet, tries erasing it, I become very furious.
-More texture issues, this time with soggy food. Not as in eating it (although that isn't exactly my favorite either), but if I accidentally touch like a cold stew in the process of pouring it in a bowl, or dirty dishes, I freak out.
-Stores, and other large places. Easy to get lost in (as a minor, this is a huge concern to know where my parent is) and are generally loud, busy places.

So, what's yours?

The title tells it all, what are your triggers and other things that bother you?

I'll just list them as i think about them. Some of them make me instantly freak out provided i'm not around my parents - at which point i'll merely whine and make a face and make someone else help me. Others only provoke me if i didn't get enough sleep the night before.

1) One thing that is sure to upset me very quickly is my laptop not working like i want it to, or the internet being slow.

2) Also, anything small on top of a lack of sleep can prove meltdown worthy. I literally only have them when i haven't had much sleep long term.

3) Unpleasant textures will bother me as well. Dirty dishes, anything remotely soggy or sticky or whatnot. Not freak out worthy like the last two, it just irritates me and immediately puts me off, but i will stop whatever i am doing to wipe off or wash my hands including ringing up a customer at work (i work as a cashier part time). MICROFIBER CLOTHS ARE THE WORST. I do actually make a face at those...people buy them and cause i work as a cashier, i have to touch them. If i'm bothered enough i'll literally only pick it up by the tag so i don't have to touch the cloth part.

4) My environment not being picked up and tidy. This usually only bothers me if i'm tired, hungry, or overloaded but its provoked meltdowns before. More than once. Its like my mind is cluttered enough as it is being tired or overwhelmed and the place being messy just doubles my mind's feeling cluttered and sets me off right then and there. I restrain myself at work though....all i really do at work to vent it is hit the register or hit the buttons on the register as hard as i possibly can. Which probably gets looks but oh well.

There are certain sounds, objects, and words that bother me. Like people typing on a computer, especially if I'm in a big place like a library where there's 25 or so people on computers typing. Certain texture bother me too, like (i don't know the name of the material) the zip cases for laptops, I think a company called runetz or something makes them. Car seat belts feel very weird to me, I really don't like touching them. I really hate the sound of people sucking on things like lollipops, that makes me cringe whenever I hear it.
Finally, I don't like places that are constantly crowded, like Six Flags Great America. Being in that massive crowd of people constantly made me want to scream.

1. Things not going to my ordinary routine or the way that I had planned on them going.
2. If I am going out on a rainy day of for another reason get wet.
There are others just can't think of them right now.

You instantly brought two movies and one album to mind, and made my day, Thank You. That and you are talking about something that we share, Texture. My eating habits are dictated by texture and taste plays a rather meaningless role. Don't get me wrong, I have pleasurable meals. What I mean is that I can compromise on taste, but never on texture, Ever. And the getting slimy crap on your hands thing, no way. I notice texture in everything, look and feel. I know things by their texture. Some I like, others I dislike.
I do not share your aversion to places. Everywhere I go is a vessel for all that goes through it. Old buildings are my connection with the past. I know I am seeing the same thing as someone 100 year ago, Cool! I am always in an open field, or in a tunnel, on the water or deep in the woods. When I visit the city the buildings are people mazes. They are interesting and strange and large .....and really close together. I like being places and the people there are just part of it, no different than all the other animals. I either Aspie stare them or I completely forget they are there and I seem to disappear in the moment.

What upsets me is intelligent people all over history have been persecuted instead of idolatrized (I don't know if that's an English word but maybe you pick up its meaning)

People moving my things. This makes me absolutely nuts and really upsets me. Like to my core.
It's really hard to make people understand that this is personally upsetting to me and not an issue of trying to control them- and I know its a "me" thing. I've tried to go run off an be upset in a different place and explain another time that it's upsetting- but in a way that clearly points to the issue as a me issue.

I mean, people can't be expected to be absolutely perfect. But I do ask that they just at least let me know where they move my things to. In a perfect world, no one would be touching anyone's stuff. I have trouble seeing things immediately if they aren't where I expected, and that's part of the problem. That makes the root problem, this intolerance that I have of people moving my stuff, much worse. Also, even harder for people to understand.

It's seriously caused problems haha. But it's such a small thing! [in theory]

People moving my things.

This grinds my gears something wicked.

Living on my own for a decade has made me forget how much I don't like this, hopefully my new partner can deal with it when the time comes. In my head everything has a place, it may not look organised but it is and, as you said, if you move it I may not be able to see it.

In my last partnership I was reduced to having one cabinet that was off limits to everyone else, it was a nightmare.

It upsets me when I am working on the computer and things don't work as they are supposed to. This is very frustrating for me.

It bothers me when people use scientifically inaccurate colloquialisms. For example: somebody might say, "I don't eat any food with chemicals in it." What do they eat then? Light? Dark matter? The impure thoughts of middle-aged business men? All food is made out of chemical compounds, weather it grows in nature or is synthesized in a lab. I suspect that this kind of language only contributes to widespread scientific illiteracy which is, I believe, a huge problem.

On a similar not, pseudo science is also a pet peeve for me. It baffles me that so many people put stock in completely unverified claims and regard mainstream science with such suspicion. Any time somebody talks about how microwaved water is poison or vaccines cause autism I just want to scream.

It really bothers me when my space is disorganized. Paradoxically I am not the most organized person, so I have quite the habit of getting on my own nerves. But I literally start to feel anxious and have trouble deciding where to start. Sometimes I even have to write out a short list in order to focus on one thing at a time.

This last one is a bit odd.

Bingo.

I am tolerant of many things, but the fact that droves of people are willing to waste their time dabbing paper and throwing their money away is just infuriating to me. I like to say that there is no wrong way to have fun, but bingo makes me reconsider.

People smoking in places or anywhere near me; I can't stand the smell!
People pushing in front of me in queues.
People cancelling lessons at the last minute or not turning up.
Adverts, especially noisy ones, being shoved in my face.
People throwing supermarket brochures or flyers into my garden.
My neighbours not doing anything about their dog which barks 24/7 and letting it wander round at will.
The electricity being cut off for maintainance and not being notified in advance.
People copying everyone else blindly, doing things just because everyone else is doing them or being into something only because their friends are into them and not having their own opinion or applying critical judgement. People starting smoking just because their friends are would be a good example of this.

Tailgaters. I want a rocket launcher on the back of my car so I can shoot anybody that drives so close that I cannot see any pavement between my trunk and their tires in my review mirror.

When my routine is broken.

It really bothers me when my space is disorganized. Paradoxically I am not the most organized person, so I have quite the habit of getting on my own nerves. But I literally start to feel anxious and have trouble deciding where to start. Sometimes I even have to write out a short list in order to focus on one thing at a time.

Tailgaters. I want a rocket launcher on the back of my car so I can shoot anybody that drives so close that I cannot see any pavement between my trunk and their tires in my review mirror.

These three things upset me. Especially the last and I think a rocket launcher is a grand idea!

Other things that upset me are ...

When I have to share a graphic design project with another designer and they're the last one to see it before press. I don't have to deal with that anymore because I don't work there but that would drive me absolutely nuts. Especially if it's a big project. I've had two covers of publications that I worked really hard on but they got messed up by the other person.

Doing graphic design for people who think it costs too much. They just don't understand how much work goes into it. I suppose that one goes for all work I do. Like, people thinking I charge too much for something I made when I think I'm undercharging.

People talking to me in the morning before I'm prepared to be social.

People asking me what I'm making, sometimes I just don't know and don't feel like talking about it yet. I know that one is all me, but it does upset me.

if you move it I may not be able to see it.
If I move it, I might not be able to see it. One day I left the toothpaste tube standing on its end instead of lying down. I couldn't find it anywhere simply because the orientation was wrong!

Doing graphic design for people who think it costs too much. They just don't understand how much work goes into it. I suppose that one goes for all work I do. Like, people thinking I charge too much for something I made when I think I'm undercharging.

People asking me what I'm making, sometimes I just don't know and don't feel like talking about it yet. I know that one is all me, but it does upset me.
Setting prices in the first place are a nightmare, I once found an article with over seven methods for an artist to determine the price of their work!

Heh, have you gotten the "did you draw that" question WHILE you're working on something? I'm always tempted to ask "did you tie your own shoelaces this morning"?"

People rubbing their hands together. I don't know if it's the sound or the sensation of skin touching, but it sets my teeth on edge.

New Threads

Top Bottom