• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's & sports.

I like ice hockey. Never played it, not in an area where there's those kind of facilities. I was good at regular hockey at school too. I liked rugby at primary school but I was intimidated by secondary school, turns out that if PE teachers yell at you you're not doing to suddenly start liking things, who'd of thought?

These I have competed in and still participate:

Bicycling, skiing (both alpine and nordic), soccer, tennis, baseball.

These I like to watch or goof around with, but haven't participated seriously: Hockey, golf.

Can watch a little American football, but tire of it quickly.

Will not watch basketball, but it's fun to shoot hoops a little.

Volleyball is fun to play, but you have have a lot of friends, it seems.

Last edited:
I was really awful at most sports at school. The only exceptions were rounders, somehow I was superb at batting and fielding; and cross country running where I was really good at pacing myself, could be alone some of the time without people bothering me and didn't have to run in a speedy or coordinated fashion. We used to have an inter form cross country every year and I would finish in the top 100 (out of over 300), all the others I knew from my primary school including those who were members of athletics clubs finished way after me.

I always loved sports, but sucked at them. Played softball and soccer (hated soccer, everyone yelled at me!), wanted to play American football but there weren't any girls' leagues when I was in school. I shoot hoops, but can't watch a bball game. i love watching any sports involving horses, and am currently an advanced student of several martial art styles. MA is difficult with my coordination issues, and its hard finding an instructor who can deal with my particular set of mental health issues without yelling at me, but I refuse to quit until i have my black belt. Its really hard to be good at Martial Arts when you can't tell where your arms or legs are in relation to the rest of your body.....

For a spectator sport I like football, golf and moto-cross. I have been active in golf, moto-cross and snowmobile racing. I have never been very good at any of them because of my extreme clumsiness. Although I did have a lot of fun.

My favourite sports used to be Sport Parachuting & Sub Aqua Diving. Unfortunately my physical health precludes these now.

How about this:

That looks like a blast. I have only seen those on TV, it must be a European thing. The forks on those machines remind me of the Greeves bikes that I had in the late sixties.

Last edited:
As a fan- but not a fanatic. ;)

NFC, NCAA Football, Automobile racing (NASCAR, Indy cars) and the Winter Olympics. :)

I do not like sports. Any kind of sports. Closest I come is climbing when I was in middle and high school, and two semesters of grappling. I wasn't bad, but I had to quit for different reasons. Nowadays I walk.

I don't do sport. I don't like sport. I'm an anomaly in a country of sports lovers. But so be it! :)

My son, gifted and aged 7, LOVES sport. His ambition was to be a mathematician but now he desires to be both a professional cricketer and a professional footballer/soccer player. :rolleyes:

I despised physical education classes when I was in school. Especially games where people threw things at me or I was required to jump or do something like that that involved speed coupled with graceful coordination... It was just more skill than my body can handle. I was terrified of getting hurt.

There should have been brain sports to balance it out. Regular class quizzes or something, so I could show everyone that my mind was like a snappy elastic! :cool::p

Baseball baseball baseball! It's one of my special interests! I'm terrible at actually playing it, but I love watching it. The only sport I was ever good at was soccer. For some reason, I was a very good goalie for a while. I played on a couple teams.

Watching? I'll watch almost anything. Some of the weird ones that stream on YouTube, even...

Playing? I was competent at two sports when younger: rifle shooting and curling. Both in the same building, believe it or not. Miss them both a bit...

In Liverpool where I grew up it's a big thing to follow football, it regularly comes up in conversation, but I have never seen the attraction to it or to be a supporter of football or any sport.

I enjoy jujitsu, not really the strikes but more the biomechanics of the grappling and locking. I don't really look at it as a sport but as a way of self-defence.

New Threads

Top Bottom