• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Jokes? Communication enablers or beyond the pale?

2/3RDS

The world seems seriously short of Aspergers jokes. Laughing AT Aspies seems common in the wider media with the infamous 'sheldonitis' skewing things but are there any good Aspergers jokes that illuminate the condition to the NT's out there without making us look dumb?

I get frightened when someone says: here is a joke for you, because there is always an underlining of: only clever people understand jokes, simply by the wording: I was just joking in a mock sort of exhasberating tone of voice ( which I am hypersensitive about).

However, I saw this on facebook the other day and did find it vastly amusing and surprisingly, so did my nt husband but others seem to not get it.

How to kill a mosquito?

Salt, alcohol, stick and a stone.

Mosquito flies to salt, thinks it is sugar and gets thirsty; flies to alcohol because he thinks it is water and gets drunk; staggers and trips over stick and hits head on stone and wham dead!

I guess I do not do corny jokes. One was told me not so long ago and apparently I was told to stop before I embarrassed myself! How many blondes does it take to put in a new light bulb? Answer: 3. One to put the light bulb in and two to turn a chair. I admit I could not see the point, and said that today you get push in ones too and was told to hush up! I conclude they more blonde than me lol ( strawberry blonde).

Does anyone remember the redneck jokes? For instance,
"If you mow your lawn and find a car, you may be a redneck". Well there are Aspie jokes like that. Like this one. "If you think that String Theory is the new unification theory that will combine the physics of Quantum Mechanics with the physics of General Relativity, you may be a Aspie". Or,"If you have any opinion at all about String Theory, you may be a Aspie".

The world seems seriously short of Aspergers jokes. Laughing AT Aspies seems common in the wider media with the infamous 'sheldonitis' skewing things but are there any good Aspergers jokes that illuminate the condition to the NT's out there without making us look dumb?

On rare occasion when I'm willing to discuss my Neurodiversity among Neurotypicals, there sometimes are those who are instantly offended in being categorized as such. While I might be open to a very frank and candid discussion of such things, I find it simply too precarious to make it a matter for levity.

You might well have a really good "zinger" that is funnier than hell to us. Just not to them.

Never lose sight that it is we who are in this neurological minority- not them. Show them that we CAN and DO have a sense of humor. But on terms that reflect no perceived animosity towards them neurologically. After all, we want their understanding. Not their ire.

IMO it's better to simply "not go there" than risk a joke that may backfire based on our own communications issues and limitations. There are other ways we can show them that we are in fact anything but dumb. Though be careful. Conversely showing people how bright you are can be a social mistake as well among NTs.

The type of thing is like this funny but deeper truth joke here...
Not about Aspies
Man goes to a synagogue for the first time and is surprised during the service that every time the rabbi mentions Moses, everyone moans and rolls their eyes. He doesn't say anything then but when the service is over, he says to the rabbi, "I thought Moses was a big hero to you all, why are they so anti him?" Well, says the rabbi, you remember when Moses Saved the people of Israel by Parting the Red Sea and leading them across to safety and a new home land, he made the most catastrophic decision in Judaism. When he reached the other shore, if he'd turned right instead of left, we would have the oil and the Arabs would have had the oranges!

Funny and deep you see. Any aspie equivalents?

On rare occasion when I'm willing to discuss my Neurodiversity among Neurotypicals, there sometimes are those who are instantly offended in being categorized as such. While I might be open to a very frank and candid discussion of such things, I find it simply too precarious to make it a matter for levity.

You might well have a really good "zinger" that is funnier than hell to us. Just not to them.

Never lose sight that it is we who are in this neurological minority- not them. Show them that we CAN and DO have a sense of humor. But on terms that reflect no perceived animosity towards them neurologically. After all, we want their understanding. Not their ire.

IMO it's better to simply "not go there" than risk a joke that may backfire based on our own communications issues and limitations. There are other ways we can show them that we are in fact anything but dumb. Though be careful. Conversely showing people how bright you are can be a social mistake as well among NTs.

I had not thought about it like that. After some consideration, I believe you are right. Thank you.

New Threads

Top Bottom