• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

As an Aspie, should I be applying for customer facing customer service roles?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I had an interview last week for a Telesales and Door to Door sales position at a local Marketing firm, and I'm expecting a call on the mobile on Monday to see if I was successful, but to be honest I don't think the job is suitable for me and if I'd known about the Door to Door aspect I would've declined the interview.

However, because I have customer facing service experience having worked in Charity shops since May 1995, should I try applying for part time work in this field? Obviously there would be issues regarding me working in a call centre due to the fact I wear a hearing aid, I know that under "reasonable adjustments" they're legally obliged to accommodate that, but is it worth the hassle and extra expense for the company to source special headsets and stuff?

The problem for me with Door to Door sales is that I don't drive due to disability and it's very unlikely I ever will, so logistically getting between clients would be a nightmare, plus I don't think I have it in me to 100% sell the products every time, therefore I'd probably get binned off for not meeting targets anyway.

I did ask in Game last week about when they start advertising the annual Christmas temp positions, and they said around October, so I might apply to the one in Meadowhall around then, as that would be ideal, serving customers in a games shop, combining 2 things I love, customers and video games.

The problem for me with Door to Door sales is that I don't drive due to disability and it's very unlikely I ever will, so logistically getting between clients would be a nightmare, plus I don't think I have it in me to 100% sell the products every time, therefore I'd probably get binned off for not meeting targets anyway.

You answered your own question. The only thing left to ponder is whether or not you're listening. ;)

You answered your own question. The only thing left to ponder is whether or not you're listening. ;)

And whether you can stop being negative every time I post? Seriously, it's not helpful.

Last edited:
And whether you can stop being negative every time I post? Seriously, it's not helpful.

There's nothing negative about one answering their own question. That's a step in the right direction.

You just can't see it yet. Think about it. ;)

If you want anything less than the truth, perhaps you should seek an audience of NTs. Not Aspies. We're apt to tell you what you need to know. Not simply what you want to hear.

Though in this instance, you already have the answer. You just need to have more confidence in your own ability to work out the problem.

Last edited:
@Rich Allen

"...to be honest I don't think the job is suitable for me
and if I'd known about the Door to Door aspect I would've declined the interview."

I believe you are correct.
This is not the job for you.

I don't believe Judge was being negative, what he was saying is that you already know the answer to your question and need to listen to what your "self" is saying.

I don't believe Judge was being negative, what he was saying is that you already know the answer to your question and need to listen to what your "self" is saying.

Thing is though, contrary to popular belief I don't just post on here to attention seek, I ask for genuine advice on stuff from people who are more au fait with the Aspie world than I am.

Main problem is that a lot of my queries are UK based and this site and forum are US based, so a lot of the answers from Americans to UK based questions aren't actually relevant to my issue.

Thing is though, contrary to popular belief I don't just post on here to attention seek, I ask for genuine advice on stuff from people who are more au fait with the Aspie world than I am.

Main problem is that a lot of my queries are UK based and this site and forum are US based, so a lot of the answers from Americans to UK based questions aren't actually relevant to my issue.
That has absolutely nothing to do with what you said Judge had done...

And the advice of "listen to what your self is saying" translates in any culture.

That's not the issue here, nor should it ever be. @Judge gave you genuine advice; whether or not that advice comes from someone British, American or even Klingon shouldn't matter.

And whether you can stop being nagative every time I post? Seriously, it's not helpful.

One for the new words thread 'nagative'

That's not the issue here, nor should it ever be. @Judge gave you genuine advice; whether or not that advice comes from someone British, American or even Klingon shouldn't matter.

Klingon, i will listen but probably ask for a 2nd opinion before following it.

Door 2 door is a bum deal. No one is interested, you have to be so outgoing to even get 1% conversion.
So i would say no. Done it before but mostly wiped the horror of it from my waking memory.

Topic.

I had an interview last week for a Telesales and Door to Door sales position at a local Marketing firm, and I'm expecting a call on the mobile on Monday to see if I was successful, but to be honest I don't think the job is suitable for me and if I'd known about the Door to Door aspect I would've declined the interview.

However, because I have customer facing service experience having worked in Charity shops since May 1995, should I try applying for part time work in this field? Obviously there would be issues regarding me working in a call centre due to the fact I wear a hearing aid, I know that under "reasonable adjustments" they're legally obliged to accommodate that, but is it worth the hassle and extra expense for the company to source special headsets and stuff?

I did ask in Game last week about when they start advertising the annual Christmas temp positions, and they said around October, so I might apply to the one in Meadowhall around then, as that would be ideal, serving customers in a games shop, combining 2 things I love, customers and video games.

Hi Rich. I feel that door to door selling would not be a match for you, as there are so many persons in this world that would be mean to any salesman. So, transportation aside, that
would require a seller to be very indifferent to perceived criticism, rejection and things like that. In the US those at residences often do not like their private dwelling space being violated by sellers, so often those residents are in a negative and not the best of mood to begin with. So, I think there would be more risk than benefit. I think the charity work would be a much better fit, as those who walk into the shop
or initiate contact with you may be nicer persons. Just make sure those job duties are fitting, too.

Door 2 door is a bum deal. No one is interested, you have to be so outgoing to even get 1% conversion.

So i would say no. Done it before but mostly wiped the horror of it from my waking memory.

Indeed, I seriously doubt it's any different on their side of the pond.

No one tends to appreciate an uninvited salesperson to knock on their door at much of any time. EVER. If anything, such jobs are indicative of a bygone era in my childhood. That was a long time ago. :eek:

Indeed, I seriously doubt it's any different on their side of the pond.

No one tends to appreciate an uninvited salesperson to knock on their door at much of any time. EVER. If anything, such jobs are indicative of a bygone era in my childhood. That was a long time ago. :eek:
Really the only people I get knocking are JW, karate clubs and charities. I don't open the door to any of them.

Well don't ever let Asperger's stop you from wanting to apply for jobs which have direct assistance with customers but I would think that your strengths would not be played to.

I do door to door work, but not getting paid; it is to do with my faith and in truth, I only do it, because of love for my Creator, otherwise, I wouldn't.

So, personally, if you have worked successfully in the charity shop you did, then why not try the door to door? Because you never know, you may be very good at it.

If they are aware of your limitations but are prepared to give you a go, then just see how it pans out for you.

I have to say, Rich; you are to be commended for trying to find work :)

Can you knock out a good sales pitch?

Are you able to deal with people shutting the door in your face or getting potentially aggressive?

Have you got a big, confident personally? Able to keep a happy, smiley face on all day? Able to keep your cool?

If you can't answer yes to these questions, neither telesales nor door to door is for you. These are the qualities you need to do sales work, especially when most of your wage will come on commission.

Really the only people I get knocking are JW, karate clubs and charities. I don't open the door to any of them.

At our place it is religious persons and delivery persons mostly. So, we will not answer the door unless it is a fedex or parcel package truck, or the mail person delivering a package. Regardless if the others mean well, including also any charitiy persons, we will initiate those on our own when we are wanting, ready, or able.

In nearly 11 years of living at the Flat, I only ever had one Jehova's Witness knock on the door, fortunately I was in the Bath and the carer answered the door.

I don't think your Aspergers is the deciding factor here.

You stated plenty of reasons why this is not the job for you, none of them Aspergers-related. I seem to recall reading before that you don't really want this job.

Try making a list of things you're good at, things you like doing, and jobs that involve those things.

Also make a list of hard can'ts and won'ts and the types of jobs that excludes.

Then make sure not to apply to the second type of job and focus on the first.

Hey Rich,

Not a real long time ago I would say no... not a good choice... don't do it, etc.
I would just give the usual ASD reasons to run and hide, but I have changed a lot.
I changed because I basically had to change.
I didn't like myself, or my life and I got help.
I poured all of me into making that help work for me.

I applied for a job about 7 years ago, I knew it was insane for me and I got it...
That alone terrified me...

I have failed so many times I cant count them, but I learn from them and don't let them crush me.
So I took this job at this huge place. It is a multi million dollar investment, that was basically slowly falling apart. I didn't expect much. I don't think the people who hired me expected much either.
However something nearly magical happened. It was what I needed, and I was what it needed.

With the help of some good people guiding me, pushing me, and making me grow.
I turned a sinking investment into something that is now growing so fast its scaring me in a different way.

People told me I was a fool to put myself in this position. I was scared, I still get scared.
I still want to quit, run, and hide often, but I just keep going.
I know what I am doing. I am good at this, but I suck at interacting with people.
I am try very hard to stay behind the scenes, I have no want for power or anything like that.
Yet here it is 7 years down the road and I run the whole thing.
An autistic dude running a multimillion dollar corporation, with a budget that is close to exceeding a million a year and growing fast. Never me, or anyone else put you in a box.

Sure it might not sound so great, but try it if you want...

I am ASD... That never goes away, but it can always be improved on.
Anyone of us can be improved on ASD/ND or even NT's.
I believe that, I made that a truth in my life, and now I KNOW this is a fact.

We are all just people trying to make it through LIFE, thats the mistake we make.
Don't try and make through, make it what you want.
Do not let ASD be some barricade. Yes, we have limitations, but LIFE is limitless and there is a place for everyone of us out there.

Only you know you... if you want to try it, then go for it dude.
This company might even have something else that would fit better with a little rearranging.
We often only see one path, but there are often ten hidden right in plain sight.

Not real long ago I was a very negative person. I hated life, and I hated myself.
I had to change, because I could see I was headed to a very bad ending.
I am known to get really depressed, but I learned IT WILL PASS, every time!

I cannot no longer tell someone to not try.
Dude... if you want to try if go for it, if it doesn't work out... well keep trying somewhere else.
Never ever give up on yourself... I know this is so against what ASD people say.
Not many people will try and push you forward.
Most will try and pull us back, or we will pull ourselves back.
I still do... I get exhausted and all I want to do is go hide and not come out.

Its cool that you want our opinion, but go with your gut, your heart, your intuition.
You listen to YOU, thats all that matters. If you cant convince yourself then you know the answer.
Its all in our mindset. If we say we cant... Then there is a 100% chance that we cant.

Make choices that you are happy with thats all that matters really.

New Threads

Top Bottom