• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you NOT taking medication?

Spent a few years trying various combinations of medications to deal with my depression and anxiety. While some did help somewhat, the side effects were too much to deal with and I'm no longer taking any psych meds and have no intention of ever doing so again.

I am not taking any prescription medications because I have no co-morbidities. As my mother was addicted to drugs, I would not want to take them anyway. That's just me, obviously but in response to your question, no.

They had me me on a Barbituate? for a while in collage for dyslexia, but it did evil stuff to me which scared me:eek:, so I quit.
Not much of anything since, about all I do now is probiotics and Vitamins and iron pills. I hate medicines and avoid them if I cano_O, I seem to feel bad after taking cold medicines and stuff. :confused:

I take eight different prescription medications for heart failure, angina and diabetes but I don't take anything else, not even an occasional Aspirin.

I am now! And I'm feeling much better because some of my really off-kilter vitamin levels and stuff are finally being brought toward where they need to be. Normal ain't always bad. :)

I absolute refuse to takes meds.....some offer minimal relief for a limited amount of time...most have side effects that seem to negate taking them...I use to take meds, discovered I can function without them, others may not agree with me and think I need meds but you know F%^^& em.

I'm not on medication.

I used to be on Zoloft and although it reduced my stress levels, I also felt as though my mind was wrapped in a warm fuzzy blanket.

I didn't like the feeling.

I absolute refuse to takes meds.....some offer minimal relief for a limited amount of time...most have side effects that seem to negate taking them...I use to take meds, discovered I can function without them, others may not agree with me and think I need meds but you know F%^^& em.

Amen brother!

You just about have to put a gun to my head to make me go to the doctor. You would have to use 2 guns to get me to fill a prescription.

Yeah, I agree on psychotropic meds. I actually seem to be hyper-sensitive to most anything I put in my body. So for me the side effects do outweigh the benefits. But I can imagine them being useful if I become truly suicidal as a lesser-of-two-evils sort of option (ETA: although I don't know how much they'd help me). Some NTs I know are also somewhat sensitive, while others benefit greatly from meds, so I wouldn't claim to know how it affects anyone else.

I used to be on Zoloft and although it reduced my stress levels, I also felt as though my mind was wrapped in a warm fuzzy blanket.

Yes, I had a very similar effect, on that and other meds. It made me less able to think clearly, which made me feel sort of walled off from what I know as myself. Not a good feeling.

Last edited:
I have been on meds for various misdiagnoses / comorbids in the past; they all made me ill. One made me gain weight to the point of circulatory problems; one made me shake so badly I couldn't hold anything without dropping it; another increased subclinical seizures; another made me hallucinate. I have a few bottles of migraine medications but have been afraid to take them.

Even tylenol makes my nerves "buzz" which is anxiety-provoking.

So I am not on any prescriptions, and do not wish to be. I have enough with the usual afflictions, without creating a new batch of problems to deal with. At least I am familiar with the ones I have by nature :)

Was on various doses of Abilify for a while (started out on 5mg, last dose was 20mg or so). I was put on it because I was having these horrific, PTSD-like visions of people's genitals being mutilated. They were interfering with my schoolwork and home life. The meds worked perfectly within a couple weeks. But I decided to stop taking them like five months ago out of protest against my now former shrink, who treated me like some kind of docile r*tard who couldn't advocate for himself. She also kept me on them for reasons other than what they were originally prescribed for. If she thought I was speaking or behaving irrationally she would up the dose another five milligrams. So I ditched the med, and ditched her. I haven't had the visions problem at all. Also I think I've been losing weight since then.

I'm certainly not taking anything for my Asperger's syndrome, unless you include the lansaprazole for my acid reflux oesophagitis, which some doctors think might be related to Asperger's. My other ailments are caused by my age I suppose, tight Achilles' tendons, eyesight problems, and piles.

Even though I don't think being an aspie = needing meds, I do have a friend that seems to have stopped taking hers and not seeing her psychiatrist. My concern is that she has too many friends who are enablers. There has definitely been a shift in her mood. She's regressed to her pre-med self. [emoji20]

I'm certainly not taking anything for my Asperger's syndrome, unless you include the lansaprazole for my acid reflux oesophagitis, which some doctors think might be related to Asperger's. My other ailments are caused by my age I suppose, tight Achilles' tendons, eyesight problems, and piles.
I love that you used the old term 'piles'. [emoji851]

I flatly refused meds for a long time. Then they stuck me in the psych ward, and no longer let me choose. (That whole "you have the right to refuse treatment"- it's not always true.) Anyway, I am on one antidepressant now, which is better than it's been, and my psychiatrist won't let me stop it (my parents have medical guardianship of me still, so what the dr. says, goes). But I've never really been able to see any effects from my meds, except for Seroquel, which would make me dead on my feet for days, even with1/4 dose (12.5mg).

If you aren't using prescription medication for anything, are you considering doing so?
No. Unless a situation changes and I need to be on medication.
How does it happen that you don't?
Because I don't have anything that can be treated by prescription medication. All I have is Asperger's, which doesn't have any medication to treat it (yet?)
Is it because you can't afford to?
No.
Or think you'd be worse off for using medication?
As I am currently? Yes, because I don't have anything treatable so it'd not be intended for me and I could end up with side effects.
If I had something that needed treating (for example several months ago I was on co-amoxiclav because my arm was wide open which was a slight problem) then no, I would not be worse off. I'd be better off because it'd be intended for me then.
Or there aren't any medications that would do you any good?
This is true. None for Asperger's. As all I have is Asperger's, and there's no medication for it, none would do me any good.
Or there are no medicatable situations in your life?
Also this is true.

I have ADHD, and for that I take concerta and (I think this is how it's spelled) zycoloft. I tried to go without my medication, but I'm unable to focus in school without it. I don't take my medication in the summer though. I wish there was some way I could focus but not be on my medication, I'm so much happier without it. In addition to this, I also take Nasonx (I think that's right) for my allergies. Sometimes when I've got a bad headache I take an aspirin.

Right now I am using cough drops because my throat is still kind of sore, so I guess that counts. (I've mostly gotten better, but still can't stop coughing)

New Threads

Top Bottom