• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are those with Autism more likely to be atheists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What came first the clock or the clockmaker? If the clock is an accident, how can every tiny cog and bearing just be in the right place by chance? What about the clockmaker who made the clock? Is the clockmaker an accident or did the clockmaker always exist? Could the clock always have existed too?
Really I consider it beyond my own ability to provide an answer. I do, however, happen to think that religion as a whole makes a short-sighted mistake assuming that man is the centre of the universe andf that God is like a man. I genuinely believe life extends way beyond the limitations of this planet and that there will be less advanced and more advanced civilizations billions and trillions of light years away from us. Such life will be different to what we know here on Earth since other forms of life will have evolved and adapted to totally different circumstances.
In other words I think religion places man as the centre of the universe when, in actual fact, we are just one miniscule fragment of a much larger "plan", if you wish.
It seems to me that, yes, in a sense God (or at least intelligence) exists but where I differ is over the concept of God being male, human and just like a man. Someone once stated if Dolphins had evolved as the dominant life form on Earth, they would imagine God to look just like a dolphin.
Above all, belief in creation or God as a whole must always be a private matter and never used as a cultural standard of judgement. I was kind of worried to see political leaders now have to somehow state their beliefs in order to stand more chance of being elected and that I think is scary. Also scary is the recent wave of blasphemy charges within Russia where there is an attempt to make criticism of religion illegal.
I guess it would help to have religious and philosophical education in schools where all the world religions are examined in the classroom so students can simply make up their own minds as rational human beings who are better informed. Information and tolerance could possibly even help prevent more wars if it begins in the classroom.

The proof of Christianity for me is so convincing AND rational AND logical, that being an agnostic or atheist wouldn't make sense... Although that's for me personally.

Thre is no doubt Christianity is historical. There is no doubt Jesus existed and actively taught followers. The problem is specifically that between the death of Jesus and what we call "Orthodoxy" today there was a signifcant gap in time. For example, at the time of Nero, Christianity was still developing in Rome but it took many more years for the Church to define a specific belief system and, even today, there is still conflict between different denominations and interpretations, say, Baptists, Catholics, Pentecostals, Mormons and so on. Back in the time of Nero it was even more unclear as Christians varied in what they actually believed.
I do happen to believe there is a great deal of truth and wisdom in Christianity but where I part company in a big way is over Orthodoxy - a simplification and attempt at harmony between many interpretations. Let's remember the Gnostic texts were discarded as non-orthodox but this choice was made by the Church clerics of the time (i.e. scholars).
So, for me, there is no concrete, demonstrable, specific data to ever be totally persuaded of what is and is not factual in events that took place centuries ago.

The proof of Christianity for me is so convincing AND rational AND logical, that being an agnostic or atheist wouldn't make sense... Although that's for me personally.

I would say Atheism is the position of logic once you apply critical thinking. There absolutely is no proof Christ even existed by the way. Not one historical figure accounted for his existence.

People credit Josephus all the time, but the first problem is he didn't live during Christ's alleged lifetime for one, and the second problem is his account was forged.

The only real logic I see exists in agnosticism. The admission of not knowing, either way.

Otherwise we are left with two opposing points of view where neither can actually prove that a deity either exists or does not exist.

But then logic isn't really part of the human condition to begin with...so it's almost a moot point whether one is Autistic or Neurotypical. Whatever logic we have or claim to have is likely on a spectrum of its own...ebbing and flowing depending on the circumstances.

Ultimately I see logic as just a tool- not a virtue.

Last edited:
I'm really jealous of people that like sports and religion. Both of them seem like novel institutions to belong to, with comradery and community and support.

I have made honest attempts to like both, and I just dont understand why they both are so popular. I dont get it. Then there is the whole theological philosophy of it all, but that is a different thread all together.

Of all of the religions Ive tried to get into Buddhism is the most grounded in reality and actually addresses real spiritual issues. I do believe we all have a mind, body, and spirit.

I have made honest attempts to like both, and I just dont understand why they both are so popular. I dont get it.

Both appear to be bound by a common sense of fellowship. That said, how many of us really "get" fellowship itself?

Take out the fellowship factor and I suspect many autistic people would be more amicable to either.

The only real logic I see exists in agnosticism. The admission of not knowing, either way.

Otherwise we are left with two opposing points of view where neither can actually prove that a deity either exists or does not exist.

But then logic isn't really part of the human condition to begin with...so it's almost a moot point whether one is Autistic or Neurotypical. Whatever logic we have or claim to have is likely on a spectrum of its own...ebbing and flowing depending on the circumstances.

Ultimately I see logic as just a tool- not a virtue.

Agnosticism is what I see as far as a higher power. Atheism believes that there is no god, but I don't really see anyway that anyone can feel it can be proven either way, so I would think any rational person who believes their religion is based on faith would still be somewhat agnostic. If they are mono-theistic, they would pretty much have to be agnostic unless they can feel they can prove every other god does not exist except their own.

I'm atheist in view of a personal god. I believe no personal god exists. I'm agnostic in a higher power, in which I don't really believe either way.

Agnosticism is what I see as far as a higher power. Atheism believes that there is no god, but I don't really see anyway that anyone can feel it can be proven either way, so I would think any rational person who believes their religion is based on faith would still be somewhat agnostic. If they are mono-theistic, they would pretty much have to be agnostic unless they can feel they can prove every other god does not exist except their own.

I'm atheist in view of a personal god. I believe no personal god exists. I'm agnostic in a higher power, in which I don't really believe either way.
Angie here. Can I ask (if you're atheist) what your beliefs are in how the world was made?

Agnosticism is what I see as far as a higher power.

I'm speaking of agnosticism from a practical perspective rather than merely a dictionary definition. That I suspect most agnostics will agree on a commonality of indifference and lack of hard data. That God might exist- or might not. Certainly the ones I know have reflected such sentiments.

I just don't see what may amount to relative indifference as tacit recognition of a higher power, but rather for the most part, a non-committal point of view. Of course at this point we're just arguing semantics- not metaphysics.

Last edited:
Angie here. Can I ask (if you're atheist) what your beliefs are in how the world was made?

My personal belief of how the world was made is that I think it is rather silly to take a mystery in astronomy and physics, and then say "oh well, god did it." The Earth was likely created from massive energy through the process of the big bang theory. Energy was created by nobody, because energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

I find that people online seem more likely to be atheists. This seems true both of ASs and NTs. But some of the online Aspies attributed their atheism to being ASD, while NT atheists do not say they are atheist because of being NT. ( I suppose I should use some other term so as to include non-aspie non NT (such as ADHD))

In real life, almost all the Aspies I've known have believed in God; (there was one whose belief I still don't know) some were very very devout (with Aspie intensity) and the people I've known inreallife. who were determinedly Atheist were NT.

The fact that more people online are Atheists seems to say something about religion. It typically has no way to stand up in a debate where people have sources as quick as the click of a mouse to show how irrational and illogical religion is. I had a strong faith in the Mormon church at one time, and was very superior about my views the way I am about Atheist view, and that was because of how easily my opinions got shot down on the internet. Generally people who go to the internet to talk about religion will either give up because of how diverse it is with people of a variety of backgrounds and not so sheltered and one sided where a lot of rural and bible belt areas are. Atheists own the internet because religion is garbage.

Regardless of one's own views, let's not start denigrating those of others and calling them "garbage."

If this thread descends into mockery and insults, I will shut it down.

Thanks.

Religion doesn't stand up on its own and it cannot speak for itself. Calling it garbage is not the same as calling its followers garbage.

Religion doesn't stand up on its own and it cannot speak for itself. Calling it garbage is not the same as calling its followers garbage.

Calling something someone believes in garbage is not a way to have a productive conversation. Threads such as these will be shut down if care and respect in replies to others is not taken.

I came across this article which suggests there's a link between autism and atheism because people with autism are less likely to be able to relate to a personal God. Do you guys go along with this? Are you a believer or not?
I
I'm not an atheist. I am a Christian, raised Catholic, although I wouldn't see myself as any specific denomination. I do see myself as different than other Christians, however. First, I'm very liberal when it comes to sex and drugs (except abortion), as I believe judeo-christian prohibitions against sex and drugs are either man-made or mistranslations of biblical passages. I do believe in a personal God; however, I'm not as preoccupied with this emotional masturbation that is the more "touchy-feely" branch of Christianity. I hold nothing against those who find it fulfilling, but I do not. I prefer to worship alone, attempting to uncover the truth of Jesus' teachings, his holy people, and his mission for the world.

My personal belief of how the world was made is that I think it is rather silly to take a mystery in astronomy and physics, and then say "oh well, god did it." The Earth was likely created from massive energy through the process of the big bang theory. Energy was created by nobody, because energy cannot be created nor destroyed.
I have to say that this is the best answer yet that I have heard about the Big Bang Theory. I still believe that God started the energy for the bang, but I do know from science that it is true that energy cannot be destroyed. Very interesting answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom