• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone obsessed with music?

I'm in love with alternate rock, classic rock, and indie. I like songs with catchy guitar riffs. I also tend to become obsessed with a band and only listen to their songs for a while before I find a different band. My favorite bands are Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Paramore, My Chemical Romance, and The Killers

I listen to music constantly. I tend to listen to instrumental music such as video game soundtracks (Halo is an example). The Cry of Fear soundtrack is something I've been listening to a lot of lately. To those of you who don't know what cry of fear is, its a psychological horror game where the main character lives in his alternate reality due to his severe depression, anxiety which result in hallucinations. The feel of fear and the emotions (I actually have emotions?!) I have when I listen to it, is what I'm obsessed with.

I think I am an audiophile. I love listening to music. When I'm at the Shopping Center, I try to listen the bass of the song and remember which song is it. I'm in love with 90s Alternative Rock, like Beck, The Smiths and Pixies (which are actually from the 80s), Sonic Youth and Pavement.

Definitely obsessed. I have a few artists I'm collecting, trying to clean house to probably only buy more CDs. . .I like indie, pop, alternative, house, ethereal, Asian pop, could probably get into hip hop and metal but not my faves, or not as stand-alones.

Oh without a doubt. I love heaps of types of music and have sooo many CDs and downloads its not funny. But I know every album I own

I almost can't function without music I like to have it playing at least a large part of my day. My tastes are very eclectic, though leaning toward classic rock. See my posts in the "What are you Listening to?" thread. Very in to Dylan lately, and Van Morrison.

Last edited:
I need music to survive!!! Listening to mostly but I do play abit. I have many fave artists but at the top for the last few years is Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. I have written & recorded songs it's a very useful outlet I have posted a bit on the internet & very few seem to like it but most of the time I don't either

Is there anyone here who is obsessed with music?

I'm into Oldies (50's and 60's), a bit of 70's, and New Wave 80's. (ocasional 90's tracks too).

Same Here. Good ol' Jerry and so on. But classical and baroque are also my top picks. Religious music too!

I'm completely obsessed with music. Especially playing guitars. It's just such a satisfying instrument to play. I have loads of them :)

I have music playing in my head much of time; sometimes original sometimes not. I can remember music very well, and my memory is almost as good as the real thing. The music I make up in my head might possibly be bits and pieces of things I have heard that I put together in new ways.
I find I am constantly tapping my feet or hands to some beat in my head, I also listen to or play music all day. I dont watch much TV.....I've also built a home studio and teaching myself production.

Axeman and Joel are making me wish I had better Internet access...I would love a chance to hear more of their music! Ah, stupid bandwidth restrictions... :(

This -had- to be the first topic I sought out. Hallo :)

I think I could be considered obsessed. I have always responded to music, and can remember being a wee girl of oh, maybe 4, and being obsessed with the Beatles, the song Hey Jude in particular. I have also sung since a child, since as far back as I can remember. I think I sang more than I talked. I can express things through song far, far better than I can through speech, and maybe even writing. I compose, and also record my own a capella's, and want to learn production better but I am always a bit daunted as ADHD makes it really difficult. I love DAWs, so much potential. I can make sounds in tune with various instruments, but have not had access to any for long enough to have proficiency. I want a piano most of all. Perhaps a midi controller one day. I had some instruments but had to sell them when I've moved. Anyway, I digress. Heh. The sad part is that I seem to cycle through 'media' and sometimes I will just be overwhelmed with music perhaps, and need a break, so I'll dive into some show like Walking Dead or something, and marathon through it a couple of times. Or I'll get into a book phase. Or a movie phase. Or a gaming phase. Who knows why. :) But I always come back and my musical absences are never very long usually.

I -really- admire those of you who can build things like instruments, and construct speakers and such things.

For genres/artists, I like (but am not limited, I'll likely forget many and sorry for the jumble, I should have organized better but I get kind of goofy and excited about tunes):

Lately, been listening to a lot of ragga, dancehall, and jungle, as well as ambient, downtempo and IDM. Although right this second I'm listening to Death Grips which isn't any of those things. I'm into turntablism, scratching, mixing. Would love to be able to do it but haven't had the opportunity.

I've devoured the following genres and often have nostalgic moods where I will listen again to: metal (but not the mainstream kind except for a couple of bands such as Black Sabbath or Anthrax), industrial including Nettwerk artists c.90s such as Severed Heads, and Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Ministry, TKK, and other genres, goth, 'college rock' (e.g. Smiths, Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Butthole Surfers, that sort of thing, the label SubPop in the 80s/90s), punk/postpunk, new wave, RnB/Soul, especially golden age Motown, world music, garage like The Cramps, Reggae, ska (mostly tone ska revival, stuff like the Specials, the Selecter, the English Beat), house and a little bit of trance, Big Band (very much one of my favorite genres), jungle (I am a junglist and likely always will be), IDM, and last, definitely not least, breaks.

Some techno like Orbital but very picky about techno. If its not really really good, its really really bad, there's no middle ground with techno for me. Ambient house like the Orb (who defined the genre), and a bit of dub. I'm picky about Dubstep, even though I do like some of it. Electronic heavy, but I still appreciate 'analog' music too.

Classical, inc. early music, opera and orchestral. 20's music. Sometimes I'll listen to something like shoegaze, but I won't go too far out of my way to get it, I'll just listen to the odd tune on youtube or something. Or find a shoutcast station that plays it and just put that on for awhile. Also there are artists that stick out that I just hear other places and I like them enough to grab what they've produced, like Josephine Foster, Sam Phillips, Röyksopp, The Postal Service. I like artists like Explosions in the Sky, The Flashbulb, Dntel, the Notwist, José González's solo work as well as his band Junip, Little Dragon, huge aficionado of now deceased Jason Molina and especially his project Songs:Ohia, was brokenhearted when he died not too long ago. Oh, I love Bjork as well as her former band the Sugarcubes, I was listening to them when they were current. She's been with me a long time. 808 State, Autechre, New Order, Underworld. Lauren Hill.

Having said that, -the- prime musical home I've been living in for quite a few years now is Drum and Bass, favorite subgenres would be Darkstep, Techstep, Liquid Funk, Neurofunk, and I also adore downtempo/triphop, ambient, and of course Hiphop (I adore Madlib, Aesop Rock, Nas, and numerous other artists) lounge and chillout, I love other certain genres of jazz, mostly old stuff or trad, Blue Note, Verve, Miles Davis, Billie Holliday, Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, and many others. These are all what I typically listen to regularly. The odd tune by Art Ensemble of Chicago, or Sun Ra for those different moods. I adore Yma Sumac and was quite sad when she died too.

I enjoy a lot of indie ranging the scale, and I've happily discovered that many tv shows have put out some great soundtracks, which is wonderful because a lot of these songs would be forgotten in time had they not been used in these shows and films. I've been enjoying the Breaking Bad soundtrack a lot, although I don't like every song, I do like most of them. I enjoyed the ST to Six Feet Under as well, same deal. And The film the Hunger (oldie), lots of others.

oh, yeah. I am a real music obsessive unfortunately. I also collect records and old, very old recordings. I have...
around 10 thousand 78rpm records, 1900s to 50s, 3 wind up gramophones to play them on.
a few thousand albums, 50s to 70s, mostly 50s/60s rock and roll/jazz/60s psychedelic stuff etc.
a lot of cds... no idea how many.
4 tb of music on the computer.
and last but not least as this is probbably the thing i'm most proud of,
about 120 or so probably more, edison wax cylinders. All the early 2 minute ones, from the 1890s to about 1912 or so some columbia and other makes in there, and a phonograph to play them on. I've been looking for a working one for about 10 years or more.
I also play drums, piano, trumpet and a few other things that are just pick-up and play-able.

I like all of the songs my middle school band plays. I play mallet percussion, mainly vibes. #mallets

I almost can't function without music I like to have it playing at least a large part of my day. My tastes are very eclectic, though leaning toward classic rock. See my posts in the "What are you Listening to?" thread. Very in to Dylan lately, and Van Morrison.
I couldn't live without Dylan...the sincerity in his voice, so awesome.

the world would be sadder without Bob, even sadder than that in my opinion without Joni Mitchell.
I just realised earlier how often when i need to meditate i let a record play to the end and just listen to the constant swish, swish at the very end. There's something assuring in that.

I'm not sure. Never thought I was obsessed with music. However whenever I go from REM sleep to consciousness, the first thing that pops into my head is always music of some kind. Not my own thoughts/words per se. Does anyone else experience this regularly?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom