• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have an obsession they wish they didn't?

Speaking of hoodies... I don't wear them. I don't need to wear them.

I have an obsession over those basketball jerseys, even though I don't play basketball.

My favorite jersey is a Varej?o Brazilian jersey... I regard Anderson Varej?o and his wig as trendsetting of the mid 2000's :)

I'm obsessive about the following face which appears just by the side of my TV - I have it covered by a picture but every now and then that picture drops off the wall in an eerie manner that leaves me icy cold:
P1010014.JPG

@Mike_GX1: Why do you believe you have to cover the face; does it appear menacing to you? Does it remind you of something unpleasant or is it merely annoying?

I'm guessing it's all in the eyes:
P1010014 - 2.JPG
They look somewhat menacing/hostile to me.

When you look at them purposefully they don't look so bad and besides the photograph shows up greener than it really is (it's more a grey colour in real life). But when you're not expecting it and suddenly the picture has fallen and those eyes are looking right at you which you notice subconsciously at first it's not something to be taken lightly as they're hauntingly direct if you ask me - uninvitingly so! It just gives me the creeps!

Last edited:
I wished I hadn't got this obsession: Window shopping.

I love things, I love clothes and shoes for men. When I like some stuff, I buy them.

Oh well, I must have spent so much on them...

Yes I think a lot of us are in that position - you can look but you can't touch...just wait for them to pounce on you in the shop trying to get you to buy that super souped up stereo for 'only' ?299 already reduced from the RRP of ?699! I hate shopping these days because it is a reminder of how broke we all are except for the whopping rush of people who can still afford a pair of jeans with holes in the knees for ?87! I mean there has to be these people right otherwise the stores selling them would have gone bust ages ago!

There are people like that out there: all they have to believe is that a given item is trendy & will make them appear cool (or hot or whatever) & they'll shell out insane amts of money for it. In stores catering primarily to women (boutiques) they rely heavily on dysfunctional shopaholics who are out shopping for reasons other than actually needing a given item. They're buying to ease feelings of boredom, emptiness, rejection, loneliness, emptiness & out of the desire to appear wealthy & successful. these women often have no qualms about racking up $50,000 in unsecured debt. they just don't look at the prices & stuff bills into drawers. They get a high feeling from spending, then comes the ritual of feeling shame, guilt & fear of getting caught & even feeling foolish & berating themselves for having done what they did.

The sudden tanking of the economy on a global scale, though, has shaken many previously foolish consumers out of their idiocy. They are now becoming much more savvier & less likely to run out & shop as a sport, form of entertainment or as therapy. They're also less vulnerable to the pressures of advertising, celebrity culture & fashion magazines telling them that they MUST HAVE/OWN this or that in order to be good enough.

I don't know why but I can't let go of a relationship I had with 2 former friends. It would be so much easier if I never had to hear or see anything from them any more but I do and can't seem to not look at their twitters, or her blog(s) / FB fan page.

I do find her rediculously attractive but she has been so horrible to me, lied and made me out to be such a bad person when I know and have kept silent about her lies and said such bad things that I really can not ever forgive her and I (believe I) don't ever want to speak or see either or them ever again.... but I still check up on them every so often, WAY more than I should.

Just one of the few things I just can't seem to let go of.

Owning my own home.

I know people who never own a home and always rent till they die. It gives me the creeps to think that if something happens and I can't pay my rent I'll be homeless. The home I grew in was already paid by my parents long before I was even born. It was in a poor neighborhood, a ghetto, but I loved the feeling of knowing that nobody could kick us out. Later in life I owned a home but I sold it when I relocated to Florida.

I dream about buying a home every single day of my life. I don't care if is not a good one. Heck, I don't care if is just a patch of land with no home built in it. The home where I grew in use to be just a patch of land. My father built a very simple structure, a floor, 4 walls and a roof. City inspectors came in and told him that nobody could live on the house because it had no toilet. They gave him one week. My dad installed a toilet right in the middle. Inspectors where baffled by Dad's actions... but city statute didn't said anything about bathroom walls, just the toilet... and Dad had no money for walls. Those 4 walls eventually became an actual dedicated bathroom as more rooms were added over the years. At it's peak, the home had 9 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room, kitchen, a large shed in the back and an independent one-bedroom apartment in the front. And that's how my dad was able to afford raising us 9 kids on a janitor's salary.

And why is my obsession a problem? Family members might not like living in the cheap houses. The hood might not be safe for kids, the location might be a PIA to travel to work, etc etc etc. But even if I don't move the family into a cheap house, I would like to own one as a "fall back position" in case SHTF. Makes sense?

Problem is that with that goal in mind, it gets in the way of everything else. I don't want to spend money on *anything* that is not absolutely necessary. Glad brand trash bags? No no no... lets get the cheapo ones, 99 cents...and save for the house.

Given high property prices that 90% of people in general can't afford, my suggestion is - rent. Don't buy a home.

To me, a better alternative would be spending time and money to something that we really care about - like efforts to create a clean and green environment , the Public Broadcasting Service (if you're in the US), or some other charitable or noble causes.

Given high property prices that 90% of people in general can't afford, my suggestion is - rent. Don't buy a home.

To me, a better alternative would be spending time and money to something that we really care about - like efforts to create a clean and green environment , the Public Broadcasting Service (if you're in the US), or some other charitable or noble causes.

It really depends on the housing market in the area you are living. For example, I just did a quick search on a real state website and I found this home in my area: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms - $34,900. A mortgage for that house assuming 30 years and $3,500 down payment would pay a monthly amount of under $300.

Then I made another quick search on a "homes for rent" website for the same area. I found an identical home, same floor-plan, same street... for rent at $950.00 a month. SO, renting a house in this neighborhood is $650 dollars a month more expensive.

I am obsessing about a guy right now.....he lives in another state and he has a girlfriend, but that didn't stop us making out Sat night......
hates it

I now have an obsession of Celine Dion... I love her sweet voice.

Near, far, wherever her songs are. :p

i am obsessed with alot of thing dont get me wrong i like my obsessions but i sometimes i feel i might
be seen as weird does anyone feel like that
to

I'm always getting the passing obsessions that I wish I didn't have. There was a time, maybe about a year and a half ago, I would see a little kid and only be able to think that he or she had been made from a sperm and an egg. It was weird, and it made me feel weird. It passed after a while and now I don't think of that anymore when I see kids, thankfully. I've had similar fixations (including one I've had for the past four weeks that's caused me a lot of anxiety because it made me feel weird about one of my Aspie obsessions, which I don't want to change) but they always fade with time and after a while I don't think or care about them anymore.
However, I'm beginning to wonder if I have purely obsessional O C D, or Pure-O, because of all these weird fixations... I've had intrusive thoughts before too but that's a different story.

Problematic obsessions?

Hello everyone. :)

I was wondering if anyone has ever had an obsession they wish that they didn't. In my case, I tend to have one major obsession for a time that lasts anywhere from one to several years. None of them have been problematic in subject-matter, but the duration of time for which I am obsessed becomes a problem. At first, I love whatever it is I'm obsessing over, but over time, people tend to get really sick of it and annoyed that I bring it up in every conversation. Unfortunately, I usually love my obsession so much, it's hard to avoid talking about it. Bringing it up, even if people ignore me, has a powerful soothing feeling. It becomes an issue, and sometimes I really wish I could move on.

On the other hand, if I do not have a current obsession, I just feel very empty and like there is a void in my life. Can anyone else relate to this? Is there a way to make an obsession go away?

I seem to have developed an obsession with owls. Not real owls, but the adorable ones that are, thankfully, all over fashion...things lol I can't really describe it :-/
But I love owls. My friend somehow managed to intervene, thankfully, when I was about to buy a weeks worth if owl shirts (all different shirts though!). I have owl jewelry, notebooks, stickers, etc. I also just put owl decals on my bedroom wall.

I just find it annoying. I'm terribly distracted by anything owl and waste so much time finding pictures for my phone or computer background. Never mind my embarrassing squeal of excitement every time I see owl anything when I'm out and about.

The owl thing is more embarrassing but my other obsession, food and nutrition, I really wish I didn't have. It's spiraled into unhealthy and caused me so many issues over the years. I really wish I could get rid of that one.

Understanding why people do the things they do. Gets me in trouble because sometimes people are actually trying to hide their reasons.... and there goes Rube pointing out his "findings".

Ruben, study Personality Typology. It's great for that and it's good for learning to deal with NT's.

Sometimes I wish my obsessions weren't so "dark."

New Threads

Top Bottom