• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have an obsession they wish they didn't?

Sometimes I wish I wasn't obsessed with computer games it would have made AS quite clear in me leading to a diagnosis during childhood or my teenage years making life so much easier but at the same time I wouldn't of had such a good time at school and make friends if I had an interest in something like washing machines. I guess it would have been nice if it was something more constructive.

Yes. Actually, believe it or not, I periodically become obsessed with...Asperger's Syndrome! My own disorder...has anyone else ever felt this? I think it's kind of funny. But I wish I didn't have this because my friends get a bit annoyed, they might feel like I'm bragging about my disorder when I'm just stating interesting facts... Haha, weird.

I'm currently deep in this too, well, I would be if it weren't for the medication. But it's all I can think about at the moment. I think it's good though because you learn more about how you work, what your limits are, just generally what will probably work for you.

Well, I was pretty embarrassed about my obsession with Baron Alexander of Brennenburg from the video game Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I didn't tell very many people about it, and those that knew weren't aware of how deep it went. I think I was embarrassed because I was in love with him; to me he represented an ideal partner in every way. It certainly didn't help that he spoke in a very dulcet tone in-game, and fellow fans had a habit of drawing him in a very attractive manner. I feel like I can talk about it now because it's beginning to fade (he's currently being replaced by Gamzee Makara - and his relatives - from Homestuck, an interest which I'm much more comfortable being open about.)

I'm obsessed with the weather and local sports teams, both of which can disappoint in equal measure.

I would like to keep the interests, but cut down on the obsession and would prefer to be able, to not let things effect me and get me down.

Becoming rich, it's consuming my life.

Happy-birthday-candles-candle-light_s.jpg

Anyone have an obsession they wish they didn't?

Yes, very much or so. Some of my lifelong obsessions trouble me deeply. They cause me anxiety and sometimes distress me. And I try to keep them buried deep inside my head.

Sometimes I think that obsessions are my defining feature. I like some of my obsessions. I hate others and wish they would go away.

Obsessions as in those found with OCD or obsessions as in 'obsessive interests'? Both types have caused problems for me. I am extremely obsessed with colour matching and symmetry when it comes to my clothes and my house and I wish I wasn't, firstly it ends up causing me more money, secondly it just takes the fun out of life-and it annoys people around me too. Another annoying one is I can't relax without my phone and playing music on my phone. I can do without the music for a short while but end up feeling really agitated if I don't have it on especially when I am in a stressful situation.

My obsessive interests, I also wish I didn't have. I'm not even sure where I acquire some of them from. My obsession with Denmark and the Danish language for example. Sometimes my interests go off on another tangent so it is like it never ends, Danish obsession has now taken two tangents, one finding links between old English and modern Danish (there are many, including some verb endings and many words being virtually identical); and the other one is I found out by accident that between the early 1700s and late 1800s hundreds if not thousands of British (mainly English) people moved to Copenhagen, mainly to one particular neighbourhood, stayed and eventually assimilated into the population. The only sign is surnames and in some cases, forenames still in use by those families.

Due to the patchy nature of records in the UK at that time, so far I haven't been able to find any records of them back in the UK, but I am sure it is possible and I am obsessed with proving my theory that they mainly came from the North East of England (most had surnames common there) and from that stems another theory; that these people influenced the Copenhagen accent and dialect (now the dominant one in Denmark as a whole) with their local accents, as they share some peculiarities and there is a precedence where large numbers of people with a strong accent have migrated to certain locales within the UK, and there are some examples in the US as well.

Global and domestic economics. Combined with a media that makes a living at trying to scare the public to death.

I am unpleasantly obsessed with learning lock picking and locksmithing. I am so frustrated about this because it is something I really enjoy learning about but I can't seem to shut my mind off after I study. I am having to take days off. I hate that because those are days I could be learning but on the days I involve myself I become totally obsessive.

I don't see how it will get better but I also don't want to give up the subject.

I've mostly overcome this obsession, but I was obsessed with 70s mecha anime for a while. The problem with this is that I actually hate 70s mecha anime, yet I felt the need to analyse its evolution.

I have also had obsessions where I check or refresh the same website over and over again during the day. Regardless of the subject matter, that is such a waste of time and makes me feel like a rat in a Skinner box.

My obsessions are dog breeding (I have had periods I have spent 4-6 hours a day for weeks looking for a sire for one of my girls) I also obsess about breeds, especially the rare ones.
Another obsession I have is working towards a good job (this is tricky because of none of it being under my control. I have dyslexia and information processing issues so studying at the level I am is difficult and through the open university it is all most impossible. But getting to the end of my bachelors has been the obsession, the thought of failing makes me so anxious it sometimes feels like a fate worse than death.

New Threads

Top Bottom