• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone feel like Spock in this scene?

FreeDiver

How long can you hold your breath?
V.I.P Member
I was watching Star-Trek last night and I saw this scene in the moving and thought I'd share it with you guys and see that you think.

I concur with Sportster. I hate being asked simple things like "How are you?", because they're not simple at all. Often all they want is a non-specific "fine thanks". If that's true, what's the point of this merry dance if everyone always says the same thing. But if they do want the truth, they should be more specific.

Also, the line "the question is irrelevant" is familiar. When people say things to me I often think "...and what?" as in, what's your point, whereas actually they are implicitly saying something else.

Like yesterday someone said "I'm going now" and I just said "yes", and she looked at me funny. It was only later that I realised she was saying goodbye.

"How am I what ?" I agree there is no point in asking the question if you don't care about the answer !

I always answer with a "fine, and you?" even if I'm not fine. It has becom a reflex. They don't want to hear it anyway.

I'll go ahead and make this statement on "how do you feel?" even more weird.

If someone asks me how I feel and I tell him/her "I feel like crap" that obviously is the wrong answer. People don't want to hear you say you feel bad or anything. And then there's the US vs. EU thing I've recently heard about where "How are you?" is more of a greeting in the US, where in europe it's actually a question of sorts. Yet, even in Europe, you can't tell everyone you're not doing good at the moment, since people apparently, less and less want to put up with someone not being a bundle of joy.

The question in general usually stumps me; it's like a pop up quiz. And my inner monologue goes a bit like this "So, you mean people feel a certain way and know about this all the time and have this response ready? What a weird concept. If someone asks me something, allow me to think about it and give an honest answer"... I'm clearly not "in touch" with how I feel at a moments notice and just go on and keep myself occupied with other things than "feelings". That said, I can post in the "how do you feel" thread here, yet I only post when I feel (no pun intended) to post there, not because someone asks me to post there.

Over time however, I've gotten used to an automated response and usually just tell people something that translates as "taking it easy" which doesn't give them any idea about my emotional state at the time, nor does it set anyone up to ask a follow up.

But yeah... if I had to answer honestly on the spot, I'd fail miserably and end up being just as confused as Spock in that clip.

Haha I was just watching the too!! Love Star trek!

Sales training has taught me to say, "I'm awesome!" Do thats what I do at work, though I despise being asked the question outside of work because them I feel like they're wanting me to work when I'm not.

I concur with Sportster. I hate being asked simple things like "How are you?", because they're not simple at all. Often all they want is a non-specific "fine thanks". If that's true, what's the point of this merry dance if everyone always says the same thing. But if they do want the truth, they should be more specific.

I agree, it's such a waste of time even for the purpose of being polite. I'd prefer they just say hi or hello (a simple sign they've acknowledged me and are at least somewhat happy to see me).
The end bit of you're response, surely you'd just assume in general and of nothing specific.

"How am I what ?" I agree there is no point in asking the question if you don't care about the answer !

It's not really a question, just a script they go by in their head for trying to appear pleasant.

I always answer with a "fine, and you?" even if I'm not fine. It has becom a reflex. They don't want to hear it anyway.

So f**ing pointless a question and yes our reflexes are to ask the same stupid 'question' or appear selfish by not supposedly showing we care about how they are, even though we don't because they don't lol.
And even if they did care, do you really wanna answer truthfully to then get stuck in a potentially awkward situation with them assuming your problem can be solved simply by you telling them or through simple advice.....nuh-uh.

Most people aren't looking for an actually answer anyway they're just being "polite".
Yup, but it's nicer when they mention you by name don't you think?

New Threads

Top Bottom