• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else have a disorder where you get numb senses & emotions?

Nolan1971

I have AS & Bipolar and heavily suspect fairly severe ADD.
At least once per day my senses & emotions go flat which drives me insane!
I don't mind the calm of no emotion but not being able to enjoy any pleasure even for a few hours
makes me want to rip my hair out!
I would rather feel pain than nothing at all.:stomp::banghead:

Sometimes I don't connect to my emotions. for example, I may hear as joke and know it is funny, but something in my brain is just not activated and I can't actually feel that it's funny. I suppose this ties in to my anxiety and depression and stuff. though I have heard other aspies describing similar things.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers several years ago and there have been several periods in my life when I have been prescribed anti-depressants which sometimes numbed my emotions and senses. I know there are many medications that can do this but for me I found that the depression was often worse than the side effects.

I'm usually pretty numb emotionally. I don't know if it's a disorder or just because I have synesthesia and don't translate any feeling to a word usually.

I find it hard to feel anything. I've been worrying a lot lately about it because I have been finding it hard to feel anything for my husband. Its like I know I still love him but there is something broken between feeling the emotion and the knowledge of that emotion. I find this most upsetting because this is someone I have chosen to spend my life with and I feel cut off from those emotions. Sometimes I feel like I'm just acting out the emotions I think I should be acting out where he is concerned.

Then again when the depression or anxiety kicks in its like being in at a night club. Sensory over drive.

I guess I feel that a lot of my life is emotionless and I just play the part of a normal person.

yes. alcohol helps.

I'm reading this post and it is most informing. My son was diagnosed with ADHD and he is 34 now, but he really has AS, but hasn't spent the money on his own to get the diagnoses. I spent 9 years of money to get the wrong help.... When he was in high school, he mentioned he might be hearing or seeing things that aren't there. I was worried he might me psycophrenic, not sure of that spelling,,,But I was reading and I thought he really might have the Schizo Spectrun disorder someone mentioned. Now his dad used to see things under his bed when he was 5 years old. Both of these two will not talk about, but I keep searching. Then I read the book The BiPolar Child, when it first came out and my son fit every thing in the book that I read about. We spent 9 years with doctors saying "you have ADHD". I think my son and husband get a numb sense with their emotions. My personal opinion , but not a doctor, both have this Schizo thing, along with bi-polar, /ADHD and my husband is a Narcissist from Really bad parenting.

The alcohol thing. Last night my husband drank a bottle of wine, he doesn't drink a lot because he is on anti depressants, and he turned into a funny wild man. He was criticizing the game and all the players. It was funny. My son has self medicated with alochol since he left home. He drinks too much. I read undiagnosed AS leads to alcoholism. My father was an undiagnosed AS and he died from hypothermia after drinking bottles of vodka. He passed out on the lawn in the early morning.

I would not recommend drinking. It kills people.

Yeah, there is a correlation between AS and alcoholism. The medical community doesn't know for sure what it is yet. They are looking at genetic factors.
My personal opinion as someone who has both, is that alcohol eases the isolation and makes the emotions less numb. Others say it calms me and reduces my irritability.
Obviously it has the same toxic effects on aspies as it does on anyone else--liver, neurological and stomach problems, and impaired judgement (as in your father's case)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom