• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An uncommon interests ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I dunno why, but ever since I was maybe thirteen or fourteen I loved drawing fictional historic maps and making up my own little history for them.

This has started when I used to read my school's history book about the 1700's and the battle maps/ colony maps. I remember copying them and alternating them a little to the point of making something totally fictional.

Eventually, I started drawing random continental shapes and came up with my own country ... I like drawing the same fictional world map over and over again as the years change and different events happen in my own fictional world.

I still do this even in my mid twenties and don't think I've came across another Aspies who had a similar interests or obsession like I do. Actually I came across maybe one who like coming up with a new language and how it's structured as well as the grammar rules and vowel sounds.

Anyone else do this ?

Myeeea... no... I'm not entirely sure. I'm somewhere in the middle

The idea appeals to me and I think about these things from time to time, I just never had the urge to actively get to it. Until recently.

But that involves a project I'm working on where I need to create a setting and I found that existing geography doesn't really seem that interesting (and felt a bit restrictive).

I dunno why, but ever since I was maybe thirteen or fourteen I loved drawing fictional historic maps and making up my own little history for them.

This has started when I used to read my school's history book about the 1700's and the battle maps/ colony maps. I remember copying them and alternating them a little to the point of making something totally fictional.

Eventually, I started drawing random continental shapes and came up with my own country ... I like drawing the same fictional world map over and over again as the years change and different events happen in my own fictional world.

I still do this even in my mid twenties and don't think I've came across another Aspies who had a similar interests or obsession like I do. Actually I came across maybe one who like coming up with a new language and how it's structured as well as the grammar rules and vowel sounds.

Anyone else do this ?

How nostalgic! Yes...I did it a lot when I was much younger. Maps are still an obsession for me. Apart from reading them I enjoyed drawing my own fictitious maps as well...making political boundaries and military movements on them.

Some of my most cherished books are historical atlases. I took it all a step further when I went to college and minored in Geography, taking cartography as well. Very cool to find someone else who did this. :)

No, but I was obsessed with space and use to draw the planets. Anything about the solar system interested me as a kid. I still love space. I still spend half my time looking up at the sky.

No, but I was obsessed with space and use to draw the planets. Anything about the solar system interested me as a kid. I still love space. I still spend half my time looking up at the sky.

If you like planetary art, you'll love this. I was once in one of this guy's studios many years ago. Fantastic stuff.

Dave Archer Studios

How nostalgic! Yes...I did it a lot when I was much younger. Maps are still an obsession for me. Apart from reading them I enjoyed drawing my own fictitious maps as well...making political boundaries and military movements on them.

Some of my most cherished books are historical atlases. I took it all a step further when I went to college and minored in Geography, taking cartography as well. Very cool to find someone else who did this. :)

My maps are usually little islands and set up like Russia, some Europe, and South American or some other Latin country. For the military and political maps, I usually draw it out where one country has military bases on the edge of a boundary and war is started because they invade the country and the ultimatum wears out.

What years do you usually set these in ? I'm sort of torn between 1500's to the 1900's where I draw a coastline and imagine how the settlers stayed in their ships while workers goes out and build houses and etc.

Um I dunno if this is for windows as well and I'm assuming it might be but there's a couple of Linux programs for Astronomy and star gazing. I remember one of them being called Stellar but I forget what the other two are called to the best of my knowledge and memory ...

I know Linux's clone of Google Earth called Marble has a map for Mercury Mars and the Moon :D

Myeeea... no... I'm not entirely sure. I'm somewhere in the middle

The idea appeals to me and I think about these things from time to time, I just never had the urge to actively get to it. Until recently.

But that involves a project I'm working on where I need to create a setting and I found that existing geography doesn't really seem that interesting (and felt a bit restrictive).

I find existing geography restrictive as well, which is probably why I started doing other landscapes and islands. Are you taking a college or university class in geography ?

It sort of reminds me of Tolkien. I read somewhere (can't recall where exactly) that he may have been an Aspie. I've not done it myself, but it does sound interesting.

Well Tolkien definitely has the imagination of someone with Autism as well as something similar to what I like to do with maps, only he came up with a few languages for his novels :D

Not an intentional obsession, but many of my dreams for as long as I can remember are made up of fictional maps, roads, buildings, railways, waterways... from what had to be long before I was born.

Yup. I love meteor showers so much that, when they peak, I use each one as a sort of stim, without having to actually stim. On a side note, when the Geminids peaked in December last year, I was out in the freezing cold laying in the garden just to watch them. (Oh, and I have to say, it was worth it; at one point circa 0315, three meteors @ once.)

I seem to remember making up my own language when I was a kid, although I don't remember much else about it. I also remember I had a book called "Mad Gadget: Gadget Mad" which had a code replacing letters with symbols which I memorised and got in trouble at school for writing in it because the teachers assumed I was writing naughty words and had no way to prove that I wasn't.. or something like that.

I also was obsessed with car crash tests for a while and was always keeping up with the Euro-NCAP scores. I don't really remember much about that anymore either, though.

I find the Mormon church to be oddly interesting, I am in the process of rewriting all their scriptures, as I consider them often lacking.
Not told that to any faithful Mormons, I almost converted but disliked their attitudes on sex and GLBT people (amongst other things)

I'v had some weird ones. Vitamins, geography and the history of the British Empire to name a few. I also got a sex obsession and made it my mission to have as many lady conquests as possible. I actually had a target number. (not proud of that). The obesessions can suddenly just vanish though and it's onto something new. The only staple one that is always there is computers and programming.

This isn't the same thing exactly, but I'm wondering if it might be related. I have an obsession with the Age of Empires II game. I can only play it when visiting my mom. If, when playing it, it comes up with a map I like, I will save it, and play game after game using that exact map.

This isn't the same thing exactly, but I'm wondering if it might be related. I have an obsession with the Age of Empires II game. I can only play it when visiting my mom. If, when playing it, it comes up with a map I like, I will save it, and play game after game using that exact map.

I play a game called "Hearts of Iron II" which is basically Europe from 1936 to the late 40s. I've only played one game where I chose to play the Soviet Union as the initial aggressor and had Nazi Germany bottled up on the defensive. I just keep saving variations of this one scenario and have never played any other options. Obsession? You tell me. ;)

I just keep saving variations of this one scenario and have never played any other options. ;)
Yeah that's similar to what I do. I keep saving variations of one game, saved at different points, as if I'm trying to master this one particular situation.

Yeah that's similar to what I do. I keep saving variations of one game, saved at different points, as if I'm trying to master this one particular situation.

We're very focused people. We're Aspies. I think that's a good trait.

Anyone else do this ?
Oh yes, actually. I used to create my own world maps and create countries and little critters that would live on the islands and continents and countries. It always irritated my family and friends because they thought that this was very abnormal. I just assumed it was my great imagination!

Genetics,evolution and human geographical dispersion.
I've had my genetics tested and have my raw autosomal DNA data and do my own research.

New Threads

Top Bottom