• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice

wanderer03

Lately I've been frustrated by how my bus company skirts the rules governing overtime pay. I'm paid hourly but considered exempt from overtime because the bulk of my transportation routes are intrastate and not interstate. I'm thinking of reaching out to the TWU (Transport Worker's Union) as it's high time for better working conditions. I regularly work more than 45 hours a week and the straight time being paid out is depressing. Is this a battle worth fighting or should I keep my nose to the grindstone and just work towards becoming an independent hotshot hauler?

You would be astounded at the effort and resources a company will invest to put into place and keep in place the mechanisms by which they can screw their lower-level workers out of a few bucks, if they are so inclined to do so, which it sounds like your company is. They've almost certainly got that angle wrapped up tight, and if they're like most companies any potential threat to their bottom line will be met with swift and merciless retaliation, regardless of how illegal such retaliation might be (again, if they're like most companies, they have a way around that, too). So much as breathing the word "union" is similarly likely to result in a loss of employment.

I absolutely HATE that that's how things are. It's bleak, it's hopeless, but it's a reality in the world of "haves and have-nots". Normally I'd advocate fighting the machine, but the machine knows exactly what it's doing and how to do it. It all comes down to whether or not you're willing to risk your livelihood to possibly get what's owed to you. Personally, I'd stick with the sure thing and commit to going hotshot hauler as a long-term goal.

You would be astounded at the effort and resources a company will invest to put into place and keep in place the mechanisms by which they can screw their lower-level workers out of a few bucks, if they are so inclined to do so, which it sounds like your company is. They've almost certainly got that angle wrapped up tight, and if they're like most companies any potential threat to their bottom line will be met with swift and merciless retaliation, regardless of how illegal such retaliation might be (again, if they're like most companies, they have a way around that, too). So much as breathing the word "union" is similarly likely to result in a loss of employment.

I absolutely HATE that that's how things are. It's bleak, it's hopeless, but it's a reality in the world of "haves and have-nots". Normally I'd advocate fighting the machine, but the machine knows exactly what it's doing and how to do it. It all comes down to whether or not you're willing to risk your livelihood to possibly get what's owed to you. Personally, I'd stick with the sure thing and commit to going hotshot hauler as a long-term goal.
I'm thinking you're quite correct, especially because I really don't want to be where I am at long term. I guess the secret is making my company work for me as much as I'm working for it. I think I'm going to stop bending over backwards as much. No more extra PM shifts unless they suit my needs and temperament

New Threads

Top Bottom