• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A day before a diagnosis

Anna Stenning

We'll see what happens. I identify with lots of aspie traits and my main problems are social (I don't get a lot of folk, especially female peers). However, my own dad thinks it's unlikely and I don't know what to think. Hoping I get a positive result as it would help me to make sense of my life, which has had some huge ups and downs, and I am often terrified of the future. I find it really hard to defend myself and I struggle in work situations, but I have excelled academically, and believe I have plenty to offer the world. I'm still broke and I feel I am often bullied, even though I've had lots and lots of counselling.
My obsessions are:
1) Alternative music
2) Literature
3) Plants, flowers and trees.
4) My cat, Thomas.
If I do get a positive diagnosis, I wonder what sort of help I could get. I would really like to meet more like-minded people who don't judge me, and to get help managing my money/work situation. I feel like when I was younger I was better at getting on with folk, but maybe I just got away with my absentmindedness more then (I'm late thirties). I don't want a prescriptive sort of help that ends up making me feel more useless. I have a supportive partner, but I can't list a whole lot of other people who seem to like me and part of the thing about the diagnosis is, I suppose, I hope I can educate people that I'm not deliberately bad on the phone/bad with money/overwhelmed. If I don't get the diagnosis, perhaps these are features of me that I can learn to accept anyway.

Hello to you all, any way, and thank you for sharing stuff on here :)

Welcome aboard and good luck to you. :)
image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi & welcome,
Diagnosis or not, some of these things/issues are the same for AS and NT, so don't feel you need that to participate.

Welcome to the forum Anna! :)
So happy to hear you have people who support you (whether you are AS or not, that's very important).

In any case, see you around!

I had my final diagnosis a couple of weeks ago - the psychologist said I'm high functioning autistic.
I'm 38 - now what? I could do with making some aspie friends. I don't know any women with this diagnosis. Anna :)

I'm a woman with this diagnosis :).

But, yeah, I know what you mean. The only way I make friends is at work, although that gets awkward because I take my job very much to heart. Some folks just come in, do the job, and go home. They're not, generally, my friends, unless I can connect through non-work stuff. Gardening is generally my topic of choice, or books.

I know what you mean about taking work to heart and glad that you enjoy gardening - I don't have a lot of luck growing things but it's such a pleasure when things do grow ...

Hey welcome Anna. I'm Andrew and at 50 I only realised I'm Aspie too.

It's helped make sense of my world.

Nice to read your posts. I love the anonymity of this forum so find it much easier to be more honest (well, I'm always honest more that there is more understanding when I'm honest here than anywhere else).

So, welcome. People here are really nice.

Welcome to the forums. At first, I thought you said you liked "alliterative music" and I was trying to think of what that might sound like

New Threads

Top Bottom