• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

10 Tips on How to Survive Wild Animal Attacks

AGXStarseed

Hope you find this useful, and sorry if you find the guy's voice annoying.

Here are the animals listed in the video:

10. Elephants
09. Sharks
08. Dogs
07. Bees
06. Alligators and Crocodiles
05. Jellyfish
04. Bulls
03. Lions
02. Bears
01. Snakes

Just one correction: The 'playing dead' option is not suggested for black bears. All the things I have seen say you must fight if it actually attacks and ultimately try and drive it off. Do not try and run. I see them a few times a year and they are very good about keeping their distance. Even my chihuahuas chase them away. But if you stumble upon one unexpected or a mother with cubs, etc, an attack can happen.

Agree with @Tom, I have heard to fight a black bear with something like binoculars and give them a really good blow to the nose. Actually heard that might work on a shark, too. I never seem to see a bear though, and certainly have never tried this, but I keep it in mind when I am out hiking.

I'll just play dead from the comfort of my bedroom, that should work to fend off any creature. Including most humans, hopefully. :p

I've heard the same. My closest friend lives in black bear country and he has mentioned seeing them on several occasions while hiking. He said only once did one become curious, so he turned and went back the direction from which he came. He suspected it was a mother with cubs. One of the girls in the building I tend was attacked a few years ago by a black bear. She said it was a mother with cubs, though they didn't see the cubs at first. The mother (estimated 300 pounds) came out of nowhere, knocked her down, and broke her leg and mauled her a bit. An animal attack is the one thing that scares me about nature, which is why I'm hesitant to go hiking. I'm not too keen about not being at the top of the food chain. Seeing something like this would cause me to soil myself. I love bears, but also have a very healthy respect and fear of them:

They are all over here, but are mostly making the rounds looking for food. I keep my garbage cans in my garage and only put them out pickup day but even so if I forget to close the garage they will come and take them! Living with nature has both ups and downs. :D

Once again watched a show on tv about snakebite. And how even a rattlesnake bite can create a hospital bill in excess of $153,000.

The bite you might survive. The cost without insurance? Probably not. :eek:

My buddy pointed out the special trash receptacles they use in his area to keep the bears out. They looked like something you'd use to secure firearms or something. I'm not really sure I could handle living in a place that requires a vault to keep the critters out.:eek:

You've never been to Lake Tahoe? :p

Yeah, bears and trash receptacles. Better than watching those commercials with gorillas and Samsonite luggage. :cool:

Nope, never been there. However, it might be worth visiting if it's better than those commercials. I loved watching those back in the day.

Check out YouTube. I suspect there are some of the local news stories on this issue that are broadcast here every season. Funny, but also disturbing at how creative bears can be to open up even complex containers.

Seriously though, it remains a real problem here for those who choose to use less than state-of-the-art trash receptacles designed to discourage the bears. People/victims who sometimes manage to get publicly shamed in the media.

Unfortunately "the average bear" is getting increasingly smart. :eek:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom