• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Zero Tolerance for Autistic Student at Senior Prom ?

Judge

V.I.P Member
Special needs student misses out on high school prom after 24-year-old sister was turned away at the door for being too old to accompany him as a date

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-door-old-accompany-date.html#ixzz48MGfZf2F

You'd think their rules might have been bent for this one individual under such circumstances. So many school "zero tolerance rules" seem to inevitably backfire at some point. :rolleyes:

I never attended any of my high school proms.

Last edited:
I think this is very sad.

There is no excuse if the school was not addressing bullying as the family says they did.

Actually part of my own problem is following rules too closely. I see that the family were sent a list of rules and it says that if they had contacted the school in advance it should have been OK. Maybe the school could additionally have talked to the student about their plans if they know he has few/no friends.

I wonder how much power the person at the door to change the rules, they might have been worried about being blamed if something went wrong. On the other hand maybe they should have contacted someone more senior rather then just refusing entrance.

I went to a school that has no prom, so I have no dog in this hunt.

First...what kind of society do we live in where prom dates need to have background checks?

Second, and more importantly, why do we have to be so coupled-normative as to not allow people without dates to attend their proms? This appears to be a public school. For that reason, this could easily be grounds for a lawsuit.

I'm not sure if it was the intention or not, but I thought this was a fun way to poke a bit of fun at the somewhat weird coupled-normative (love that term) ritual of The Prom:

This Guy Took Prom Photos With His Cat and They're Incredible

http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/share/8797835008

The Prom was something I never participated in (staying home and watching The X-Files and Babylon 5 on Friday night was a much bigger priority) and probably would have barely thought about at all if it weren't for me getting a surprising amount of grief from people about how all normal people go to school dances (even ones who don't really enjoy them). I was a bit apologetic and defensive about it then, but now I think I would just tell those people, in no uncertain terms, to back the f**k off. Of course, everyone who wants to go to their school prom should be able to, but it's a problem I personally find a bit hard to relate to and I kind of feel like my side of this story never really gets told.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it was the intention or not, but I thought this was a fun way to poke a bit of fun at the somewhat weird coupled-normative (love that term) ritual of The Prom:

This Guy Took Prom Photos With His Cat and They're Incredible

http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/share/8797835008

The Prom was something I never participated in (staying home and watching The X-Files and Babylon 5 on Friday night was a much bigger priority) and probably would have barely thought about at all if it weren't for me getting a surprising amount of grief from people about how all normal people go to school dances (even ones who don't really enjoy them). I was a bit apologetic and defensive about it then, but now I think I would just tell those people, in no uncertain terms, to back the f**k off. Of course, everyone who wants to go to their school prom should be able to, but it's a problem I personally find a bit hard to relate to and I kind of feel like my side of this story never really gets told.

Yeah, I never went to my Prom either. Funnily enough, it was my mother who pretty much summed up all the reasons to me in one go as to why it wouldn't be a good idea for me to attend:
  1. I don't like wearing suits.
  2. I don't like crowds or loud music, which would be causing my senses to go into overload.
  3. I don't know how to dance - let alone know any of the current dances that everyone else seems to know by heart.
  4. I don't have any friends or anyone who would actively want to dance with me, so I would likely end up sat at a table feeling miserable.
  5. I would probably end up feeling more miserable as I was getting bullied a lot at the time and it's unlikely the bullies would let up on me for one night.
  6. My alcohol intolerance means I wouldn't be able to have a drink at the prom.
  7. I would probably be there for 15 minutes maximum before I'd be ringing my mum for a lift home and regretting ever thinking it would be a good idea.
I hasten to add that none of these reasons were put downs; my mother honestly nailed it with every one. As such, I stayed at home and just chilled out watching movies and eating junk food; a satisfying trade-up, if you don't mind me saying so.
After all, we've only got the one life - why waste it doing stuff that we don't want to do just because society claims its a tradition?

New Threads

Top Bottom