• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your Thoughts on Spectrum Conditions

How do you feel about your ASD?

• I Enjoy Every Part of It

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I Enjoy Some Parts of It

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Sometimes Its Hard to Deal With

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

2010Dolby

V.I.P Member
So, I know people on the spectrum are sometimes touchy to the subject of "If there was a cure would you consider it?" and I really hope I dont cause a problem with this post but Im very curious about how people feel about their Aspergers, HFA etc.

As for me, I love being an Aspie. I think it's wonderful. There are some things about it though that sometimes get in the way. Like when I can't tell if a girl is flirting with me :arghh: or if Iv had a fast-acting situation thrown at me and I need to make a decision in a matter of seconds. Anxiety is also a pretty hefty part of my Asperger's. But I genuinly get a great deal of enjoyment from being an Aspie. It makes me much more unique then a lot of people.

To be honest, I wish I were not on the spectrum. But I can't do anything about it, so I have to make the best of it.

When I was growing up 50 years ago, autism and related conditions were considered shameful. You did not talk about it or acknowledge it. It has taken me many many years to become somewhat comfortable discussing it. The idea of feeling positive about it was out of the question. I really envy those of you who can accept being on the spectrum and feel good about it. That's no small thing. Don't ever let anyone take that away from you, because once taken away, it's hard to get back.

I do love it & essentially spectrum traits all have advantageous elements even though those same differences create conflicts with "regular people" at times, or just plain annoy them, or cause us to be misunderstood of our intentions. I can't imagine a personality equivalent to mine that was also regular in most areas. I have vision impairment, but I AM aspie.

see also: tony attwood's criteria on aspie discovery- its the most thorough description on why aspie capabilities are the true definition of autistic spectrum personality.

I can't say that I love it, I like who I am and everything but problems with socializing and anxiety really suck. Like other members have said here before, it would be great to "edit" out certain parts of it and leave the rest.

I can't say that I love it, I like who I am and everything but problems with socializing and anxiety really suck. Like other members have said here before, it would be great to "edit" out certain parts of it and leave the rest.

I feel exactly the same way.

If I could get rid of the anxiety and the other ill effects that tend to come with being on the spectrum, I'd be fully content with my ASD.

If I could take a "cure" to become an NT, at least this point in time, I'd probably decline it though. I believe that my ASD is a quite a big part of who I am.

Last edited:

That's also how I kind of feel about it. I like who I am, and I think it's given me some great strengths in some ways, but it also came with some horrible weaknesses. Which I think is everyone, but it just so happens autistic weaknesses, even though are generally harmless, make it difficult to fit into society. So I still have a lot of issues of feeling alone, not connecting with people beyond the internet, and just really any situation that involves other people. Even though I think it takes extra work, I don't think it's impossible so long as you know yourself and can be a bit strong about some things. I would never consider Asperger's to be unmanageable, or a bad thing in itself by any means.

In some ways, I think that without it I would have been much more successful and had it easier. But then again, without AS I wouldn't have the said talents or things that make me interesting. So it's a strange in a way, now that I look back on it, I wouldn't chose to not have it. I don't think I would ever want to change myself, but I could use some editing...yes...

Wasn't there a quote by an Asperger's author...it's been quoted on here for sure, I wish I remember who it was- something like I don't have a problem with myself, just other people. That's kind of how I see it now, anyways.

I'm not 100% satisfied with being an autie. While there are certain advantages - the ability to tolerate loneliness, enhanced creativity and stronger visual skills - there are many disadvantages to it that I'd like to get rid of if I could, namely the social retardation and very uneven cognitive traits. The good is balanced with the bad, though, that's for certain and I've improved a lot and have learned more about myself in the past couple of years.

In the end I'm in between. I didn't choose that destiny and if I could, I probably wouldn't be on this forum writing about it. Then again, if we all could choose our destiny we would probably crumble as a society :)

Last edited:
Tolerance of solitairy is a good point I never thought of before. When I was younger I used to love just being by myself and listening to music or playing with my toy cars nearly the entire day. I had no desire for social contact. Now that Im older I need to socialize at least 3 or 4 times a week but other then that if I hang out with friends or relax by myself it doesnt really matter. Im completely content with both.

And the uneven cognitive traits is another unconsidered point you made. Im amazing with most sciences, physical science, chemistry, meteorology. But Im embarrassingly stupid with mathematics lol History is easy for me because of memorize random facts but my spelling is somewhat slippery. Etc. Etc.

Wasn't there a quote by an Asperger's author...it's been quoted on here for sure, I wish I remember who it was- something like I don't have a problem with myself, just other people. That's kind of how I see it now, anyways.

This... is the exact thing I keep telling everyone who thinks that "my behaviour" is wrong/off. The most prevalent example is when I'm out on job hunt, where they tell me "well, this and this and this is wrong with you, fix it". The reason why I don't fix it, is because I rather tolerate myself than make others tolerate me... I'm still living 24/7 with myself and I can't escape that or lock myself out.

I have a blast being me, I have a blast being "lonely" (according to my therapist who is testing me on ADD as well as being on the spectrum, it's my personal way on how to get stuff done because I proactively eliminate distraction, thus for what she thinks, actually my possible ASD & ADD go hand in hand for about 75% of the time) and I enjoy actually being creative in unorthodox ways without interference of "others". That being said, it's not that I hate being around people to some extent. I mean, I'm on this forum pretty much daily and I usually hang out with a good friend of mine daily for about an hour or so (for a walk at night usually). But I'm cool if he can't make it... I've had times where I just went on forums a bit and haven't gotten out for any social interaction for days, weeks without end, I couldn't care less.

As a kid I never really cared for friends and played by myself, and this is still the case for most part nowadays. I don't have the urge "to go out" for the sake of being with other people. Yes, I do use IM, but I do so when I want to, and not because social ettiquette requires me to behave like I'm part of a herd (of sheeple; I'm sorry, I just had to get this pun out)

To some extent I feel that I'm quite "clunky" in regards to practical stuff. I do have some really weird stuff cognitive wise and all, but in my life I think I've went on to master it and how to work around it. I can do a lot, just dont' expect me to do it "fast" (or if were talking jobs, industry-standardwise). If I can take my time to do so, I can do a lot, that has nothing to do with me being a problem myself, it's that others expect me to do it "faster".

I don't really know if my life would be the same if I was... well more... "normal"(?) I think I might've taken other courses, and had a totally different life and therefore the argument of being succesful in what I tried would be totally null and void. The reason I enrolled in Journalism school once was because I like to write. I like to write because I didn't care for being around people that much, which in effect might be a result of me being on the spectrum. Thus without autism I might not even like to write. I might even be good at sports. Let's write a book about ASD & Alternate universes... "what if".

The last months actually, though with some help of my therapist, I feel that everything is fitting together like a puzzle in regards to "who I am"... but that doesn't make me a functional human being in any other aspect, except for those that already were working. For example, I now see that why I am such a night person, why I rather have a "summer depression" instead of one in the winter, it's because of the peace, quiet and seclusion, that makes me focus more on what I'm doing. I understand why I can live in a totally messy room, and that I actually have a really weird system in my head going on to why it's like that, why I feel comfy in this and how it's actually organized in my mind (because in the big mess in my room I can tell you where something is, why it is there, where it was before and roughly since when it's been there; that's why I couldn't cope with other people moving my stuff around as a kid, and still can't actually, because it messes up my "files")

I don't really have that much of anxiety going on, but then again, I think I am quite "skilled" in working around those situations. I can come up with a dozen of alternatives instead of the one that feels most awkward to me... I love that way of "diagonal thinking" (because it's both forward, as well sideways in possible outcomes).

But yeah, I don't think I'd want to edit something out of this, because all of this is something that shaped me on who I became to be. I should add, I had a lot (A LOT; stressing it in capitals) of freedom in exploring me and what actually makes me tick, what doesn't, what's reasonable for me and what's not. And to some extent, it's a bit of the "what once has been seen, cannot be unseen"-rule that applies here. I can't be forced to be less free because thats's a coherent part of me.

When I was younger I used to love just being by myself and listening to music or playing with my toy cars nearly the entire day. I had no desire for social contact. Now that Im older I need to socialize at least 3 or 4 times a week

I'm the same. When I was younger I didn't really care that much or value social contact. I wanted some friends to hang out with but I never understood how to make friends. So, I usually spent my time alone indulging in my interests and became content with it. Now that I'm older I have realized that social contact and making friends is important. The more social success that I have - even if it's only something small - the more I want to socialize and meet up with friends.

To me I really don't have an answer but really more of a question or theory..

I sometimes feel like, Although i have my hang ups as an aspie, the way i look at life and the consideration i take is very natural and i wish that everyone were as I am.. Like, its the people without understanding and without compassion and consideration are whats wrong in the world and if there were no prejudice like race,sex, disabilities.. then that would be a good start..

Do i sound crazy? or is an all autistic country worth a try :p :D

at least three people have written that they don't feel a need to have social contact or that they could not care less if they saw people on a regular basis. I'm the same, I don't really feel the need to talk to people, though I do it if I have to, but the funniest thing to me is when people say to me oh don't you get bored? How can you not get lonely? And I laugh because they're basically telling me they need to talk to people or have some form of contact with other people pretty much hourly, and if they didn't,. they'd become sad or get pissed off by being alone. I can't understand it. Talking to people constantly every day wears me out, even on a one to one basis, like my brain is taking up so much energy having to think how to speak and act. Am we on a similar level here?

I had a really hard life because of my Aspergers, but still when I'm thinking of its advantages.. yeah it worth it.

New Threads

Top Bottom