• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your methods for chilling out and relaxing? Is this the most relaxing song ever?

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
What are your methods for chilling out and relaxing after a stressful or anxiety-filled day? If you wanted to clear your head and zone out, how would you achieve that? Below is a song that is scientifically engineered to help people relax... and even sleep! It has been dubbed as the most relaxing song ever created. What do you think of this song and does it do anything for you?

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/justmusiclabel/marconi-union-weightless[/soundcloud]
MARCONI UNION - WEIGHTLESS

If I were to zone out and relax after horrid anxitey ridden day I would turn on my fav tv show or my fav album and take nap or read a book but not listen to this. While I find it beautiful and intriguing its not relaxing for me it sets me on edge because of what I picture while the music is playing.

If I have a particularly stressful day music always relaxes me, I climb into bed with the room very dark and listen to music on my ipod, sometimes I drift off to sleep other times I just become very relaxed.

That was nice, I just had it on in the background while I try to figure out stuff on my computer. Quite relaxing.

When I get home at the end of my work day I need about a half hour of quiet to relax. After that I can start being social again.

I've only just listened to the music as it didn't show up the first time I looked at this thread, I turned it off after a few seconds it made me feel ill and I have a slight headache now.

I think engaging in our interests, appreciated by others, is the best way to chill out.

Often, I write short proses on my troubles, and I sing some songs to myself.

I have a big spa bath tub. I fill it with water & sea salt, add a few drops of lavender essential oil, light a few candles shut the lights, bring some cold water & jump in. It really helps me unwind.

I can see how this track is relaxing to people. It's like the ones I sometimes stumble upon in those new age kinda stores as well. It doesn't do a lot for me. If I want to relax with music I rather listen to something I know better myself... and depending on how I feel, sometimes it's not ambient but some kind of more extreme metal, just to wind down a bit.

What I also do to relax is take a shower in the middle of the night... sometimes in the dark. Set temperature to about 68F/20C... since my parents have this folding chair in the shower (since they're both having troubles walking and all), I sometimes use it to sit there under the shower and chill out for 30 minutes... it's a big waste of water though, that's the big downside... but I guess there's only a few ways to relax on the cheap AND that actually work for everyone.

listened to it a few times did nothing for me i was waiting for a back beat to kick in. didn't find it annoying at all and its much better than whale noises. usually listen to David Sylvian he has a tranquillizing effect on me, David Sylvian - Orpheus - YouTube think its more the lyrics than the music. Tend to more listern to more upbeat music when I'm getting ready to go out like the chilli peppers Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher ground (HD) - YouTube it gives me a boost.

I might try listening to it with headphones on when I them in the mail.

Reminds me a little of Boards of Canada.

i looooove ambient music. it doesn't really relax me, but it does help me focus, so i listen to this sort of thing when i'm trying to do homework.

if i want to relax, i grab my laptop, curl up in bed, and go through tumblr or flickr to look at nice photos! or sometimes, if i want to relax, i play with my rats, as their little antics take my mind off anything i might be stressed about.

I have to be completely into the song and love everything about it if it's going to relax me. Otherwise it becomes background music, and background music always sets me on edge. But when I *do* like the song, I put on my headphones and all is right with the world. :)

(Haven't been able to listen to this, alas, so I can't comment on it. Stupid rural Internet connection!)

The most effect from of relaxation for me always involves a visual element and is usually something where there is a continual sense of movement and repeating pattern. It is as though, when my brain engages with the visual, the rest of me relaxes, I can literally feel the tension in my body releasing. I think I experience a break from 'feeling' or having to process emotions, which is part of what makes the visual so relaxing.

A couple of examples are

pOj5dDe.gif

I also find being in an environment where there are no large areas of plain flat surfaces eg a room with untextured, unadorned, plain coloured walls, more relaxing. So, being out in my garden or it natural surroundings, where there is alot of natural texture pattern and colour.

elvaston-castle.jpg

If I am overstimluated from social interaction, it takes time to relax and there is no one 'quick fix' relaxation technique but rather a variety of 'gear changes' than help me come down gradually. Lying down with a weighted blanket on me and watching a tv program that is perhaps a bit more stimulating than I would usually watch, is a good starting point. And then, interspersing my usual daily routine with a combination of the examples I have given above, will help bring me back to my normal level of functioning.

I have specific songs that I listen to for the purpose of calming any troubled emotions/ a troubled mind, all of which are worship music. I find finger picked guitar with minimal and unintrusive percussive accompaniment to be one of the most effective forms of relaxing worship music. Any sudden or harsh sounding noises in a music track prevent me from relaxing.

I also find being in the shower very relaxing, the sound of the water and the noise from the shower unit seem act as white noise and block out other sounds and I also find the sensation of the shower water relaxing. The pipe that connects the shower head to the shower unit is silver and has a spiral pattern on it which makes my brain happy :D

New Threads

Top Bottom