• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your first job

Keith

I got my first job late last year. I scan documents onto a computer for a local psychiatrist.

How are you finding it? I would hope its a nicer environment to be in than many other offices?

Well, I've been working at his house so it's been rather casual. I'll be working at his actual office Monday.

My first job was as a cashier at a supermarket. It did my head in something shocking o_O

My job was playing the piano in a hotel. It was fun.

My first job not playing the piano was doing shelf stacking in Woolworths over Christmas. I got sacked, which tells you just how good I am at working with other people!!! :D

My first job was setting up the stage, and taking it down again, for a Bon Jovi concert. It was good fun actually so I did a few more afterwards (AC/DC!). I liked hanging around the stage, and actually being able to enjoy a show from a good spot without being crushed in the crowd. And riding home as the sun began to rise.

I did office work at a lumber company - it was part of a HS class where we had to find an office job of some kind during senior year. I went to school in the morning then worked in the afternoons. I still remember my first check was for $62 and I used it to buy a GUESS jean jacket. Good times!

Maintenance work involving model homes for a housing developer. You wouldn't believe what kind of abuse a model home and its furnishings take from people just strolling through on a weekend. Ugh.

I used to do paperwork for under the table pay at the doctor's office where my mother worked as a surgical coordinator. My first actual job was at Big K-Mart as a cashier, which was horrible. We were given incentive to compete with other cashiers for customers in our lines. We were trained to invite people to our register when the pace was slow, just to make things exceedingly difficult and miserable for everyone. In addition to that you had to try to force all of your customers to sign up for sears cards which have 25% interest. Not 2.5%, 25%!
I "worked" for several years as a research assistant/work study assistant in nanoengineering and also in neuroscience as an undergraduate student and did a couple of volunteer stints at hospitals. All of my efforts were unpaid or issued a very meager stipend, but it was interesting!
I spent the past year teaching General Biology at a College level part time, tutoring Organic Chemistry and Biology for NSF grant recipients, and volunteering on research projects.
Technically I have not had a full time job since I worked at Big K mart about 8 years ago, but I'm working 40 hours a week in a Medical Chemistry research laboratory for the duration of the Summer, and it seems to be going well. I'm thinking of trying to burrow my way into the company backwards so I can do something in Academia while collaborating with them. I'm too fickle and weird for an industry setting methinks.

My first job was developing photos for people. You know, back when people would bring rolls of film into camera shops. I also sold SLR cameras and fancy pagers at that store. I wasn't trained but I somehow outsold all of the seasoned salespeople. So my manager started putting me on the sales side. He was so impressed with me. All I did was show people all of the features of the cameras, just making sure to show them the one that was currently doing double commission. It was like a game for me :)

Delivering flyers for the Hudson's Bay Company...a store with no competition in the dry goods sector in my hometown. Six bucks a week. Whoo!

My first job was in a cafe. I hated it and quit after about 6 months. My second job was better, working at a TV station in the transmission room. I stayed for 3 years and worked my way up to directing all broadcast/on air programming. I loved it!

My first job was setting up the stage, and taking it down again, for a Bon Jovi concert. It was good fun actually so I did a few more afterwards (AC/DC!). I liked hanging around the stage, and actually being able to enjoy a show from a good spot without being crushed in the crowd. And riding home as the sun began to rise.

So jealous!

I've worked backstage for some pretty cool people, the one that comes immediately to mind is Edgar Meyer. In fact, I was chastised for it, because apparently it was a really awesome performance. :p

My first, and so far only, job was a courtesy clerk (aka bagger) position at Hy-Vee (a midwestern grocery store). I bagged groceries, did drive-up and carts, and occasionally took out trash and cleaned messes. There were days when I thought I hated it, especially during crowded one-day sales, but now I wish I could go back to it. I'm glad I did have it, anyway, because since moving I've really needed the money.

I got my first job late last year. I scan documents onto a computer for a local psychiatrist.
Little did I know at the age of eleven that my first paying job was perfect for an Aspie with remarkably good penmanship: I addressed invitations for an art gallery.

My first job was in a local restaurant. I had it for over a year. I washed dishes and did some prep. I liked it because the restaurant was small. The restaurant has since been demolished.

My first job was playing violin in restaurants, at weddings, etc. First non-music job was waitressing at Olive Garden, during which i was also a marketing intern... the next summer I was an admin assistant, while in school I was at the National Air and Space Museum, the next year I was a research assistant at my university and this summer I'm working housekeeping for a hotel and I'm back at Olive Garden. Waitressing is really overwhelming and I often end up crying after work, Air and Space I loved because even if I don't do well with peers, I love kids and I was doing the demonstrations for little ones... but most of the other stuff has been pretty independent so I've enjoyed it quite a lot.

My first job is my current job, which i've been at for about a year and a half now. I'm a cashier at a grocery store. I hate how busy gets on weekends, but i've learned to cope well enough. I just learned to focus on the customer in front of me and nothing else. to the point that my supervisors all learned the hard way not to give me instructions while i'm with a customer, cause while i might respond im too busy to really process what i'm being told. They learned to just turn my light off and i know to track them down when i'm done with my customer for my next assignment. Oddly enough, i think one of the new people might be on the spectrum, he acts like it. I'm not about to ask him up front, i just think its interesting.

My first job was aged just 9, I was selling soaps and shampoos door to door for National welfare of the blind. We kept 25% of what we sold,it helped keep blind people in work. Next job was age 15 Go-Kart attendant lasted 1 week.

New Threads

Top Bottom