• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You can't be helped, next in line

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
So l am finally going in for PTSD counseling. But l am feeling so neurotic, for loss of a better word. Like the therapist will tell me l am so screwed up, it's hopeless. Like go back to the room with no view, the womb. Can't she just wave her magic wand and save us hours and thousands of dollars? Like how far do l have to go back? Did l think this ex was going to decide to torture and devalue me and my daughter because of something in my childhood? Or was l at the wrong place when l met him?

Does anybody here experience with trauma therapy and are you willing to share it?

My big reason for going in was my habit of pushing people away if l felt they were too close. I need to stop doing that.

Therapy was very helpful for me. Helped me leave a 20 year abusive marriage. We, my therapist and I, never once talked about my childhood, it is obvious to many my childhood lacked something.
Therapists are all different, this one was more on the here and now practical side. Supported me to do what i needed to do to escape and be safe.
It wasn't your fault, you know. Really.

My experience with therapy lasted just long enough for the theraPEST to say "And how does that make you feel?" Directly after I had just told him how I felt. It was at that point I decided seeing a therapist was not for me as the only reply that I could come up with was "Like walking out of here right now and solving my problems for myself." This is just my personal observation and since every human is different don't judge therapy on it.

l am being proactive, l time listed all traumatic events, surprisingly, it revolves around marriage and divorce totaling about 20 years. Going to ask about journaling, and other forms of therapy. I tried a little of tapping which l found interesting. l actually went for counseling during divorce but the therapist kept trying to push me out into dating which kinda of pissed me off.

l am being proactive, l time listed all traumatic events, surprisingly, it revolves around marriage and divorce totaling about 20 years. Going to ask about journaling, and other forms of therapy. I tried a little of tapping which l found interesting.
the finger tapping thing? i found it helps during severe flashbacks. but valium is way better

Therapists are all different, this one was more on the here and now practical side.
Spot on. Some are not interested in going back into your past too much because for some clients it's not productive. You can end up reliving the trauma which makes it worse. If you feel that could be you ,then mention it to the therapist when you get there and try to gain some idea of how they work.

I wonder if you could give your written timeline to the therapist to help them understand what you've been through? Might be less disturbing than talking about it. Otherwise, prepare yourself for giving a (hopefully) brief overview of why you are there.

Can't she just wave her magic wand and save us hours and thousands of dollars?
Wouldn't it be nice :D

Shared experiences:
I've seen a therapist who made things worse and I had to report her behaviour to the board!
I have been to one who was wonderful but after two years of going, and with hindsight, I could see she had kept me going (good) but I hadn't really progressed the way I had hoped.
And finally, I found one with whom I have taken some strides for which I'm really grateful.

Like the therapist will tell me l am so screwed up, it's hopeless.
They won't say that or feel that (if they're professional) but I can relate. I felt hopeless and stuck for many years. As though I couldn't change how I thought (very negative). But if time and your own efforts haven't improved things for you I believe finding a good fit therapist, who understands about trauma, can. You also have to be motivated and put in the effort, of course.

I hope it all goes well @Aspychata :)

Only two therapists I've got along with to date.

One man - when he was in the room with me,
he was 'In The Room'
No scripts, no BS, no cliches.
Genuine.

One woman - assisting me with a specific, stubborn, anxious habit/fear.

The sessions were (UK) NHS funded so they were only for a specified number of sessions.
therapist gets paid by NHS whether helpful or not.

All therapy in the here and now. Moving forward.
No childhood discussed at all.
Touched on birth order, parents living ?

New Threads

Top Bottom