• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Writing By Hand VS Writing Digitally

Caelix3

Which do you prefer and why? For writing stories?

Trying to figure out which would be the best way. Writing in my notebook or Writing digitally. I'm afraid if I write digitally it might get erased or something. USB might mess up, Google Drive might erase things all of a sudden. But that is just me being paranoid I guess.

I prefer digitally for the following reasons.
  • Writing things by hand hurts my hand after a while, especially as I have a tendency to misspell words and my handwriting style isn't brilliant.
  • It's easier to correct mistakes.
  • You can look up words quickly and easily if you want to get creative with your language.
  • You can adjust your work quickly and easily if you read it through (either a section of your work or the whole thing) and decide there's parts of it you don't like.

Although I prefer writing by hand because I like how handwritten words look, i would rather type it because of all the things AGXStarseed has said

Digitally, but with a stylus pen, because otherwise, I start to get carpel tunnel sensations ie pins and kneedles in my fingers.

Writing causes my hands to feel very heavy and that is because my handwriting is just awful and so, I try too hard to make it look good and thus, write too deep.

The only real worry for losing information is if you put your device back to factory or have downloaded a virus, but if you have a good anti virus, that will keep them at bay and also, choosing sites that are not infected.

I can do both, and despite poor dexterity my writing's quite neat actually, most people can read it anyway, and my spelling and grammar has always been spot on.

I've written almost exclusively digitally since the mid eighties. Beyond writing my own signature, anything more feels downright cumbersome.

Though my handwriting was always nominal while my printing is excellent.

Funny, I suddenly recall something that happened in college in the 70s. It was time to hand the professor our research papers and this one guy kept handing it to her over and over, with her failing to hang onto it.

It wasn't typed.

Yet all those classroom "bluebook" tests....they were all done by hand.

Last edited:
Typing is easier. I can get words out to string them together and see how they look before they disappear from my mind and I can't get them back again.

I prefer handwriting, it just fits my needs, and while I'm studying I learn better on hand than digitally, there are even some studies that found handwritting is better for learning and interiorize (idk if that's the correct spelling) stuff.

Which do you prefer and why? For writing stories?

Trying to figure out which would be the best way. Writing in my notebook or Writing digitally. I'm afraid if I write digitally it might get erased or something. USB might mess up, Google Drive might erase things all of a sudden. But that is just me being paranoid I guess.

I've been writing stories and fanfics on my laptop for years just fine. I prefer it, really. Much easier to edit. And i can obsess over all the stupid little details, like a character's outfit or what their house looks like or whatever. If your worried about losing something important, back your stuff up in multiple places. I use both a flashdrive and an external harddrive storage thing. I forget its technical name, it calls itself MyBook when i plug it in and i bought it at Walmart. I put my documents, music, iTunes movies, etc on the external storage device and i backup my documents on the USB as well. In hopes i'll actually remember to back my stuff up, i keep it all within eyesight and arm's reach. I keep my USB on my desk by the pencil cup so i always know where it is, right within arms reach, and my backup storage drive is nearby too.

I've been writing stories and fanfics on my laptop for years just fine. I prefer it, really. Much easier to edit. And i can obsess over all the stupid little details, like a character's outfit or what their house looks like or whatever. If your worried about losing something important, back your stuff up in multiple places. I use both a flashdrive and an external harddrive storage thing. I forget its technical name, it calls itself MyBook when i plug it in and i bought it at Walmart. I put my documents, music, iTunes movies, etc on the external storage device and i backup my documents on the USB as well. In hopes i'll actually remember to back my stuff up, i keep it all within eyesight and arm's reach. I keep my USB on my desk by the pencil cup so i always know where it is, right within arms reach, and my backup storage drive is nearby too.
I decided to write with my laptop. I started doing it a few days after I made this thread. I like it a lot better. Thanks for your input and everyone else's input. Feel free to keep posting what you prefer and why, everyone.

New Threads

Top Bottom