• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you use an autistics only Social media platform?

Would you join an autistics only Social network?

• Yes

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 17 28.3%

• Total voters
I’m self diagnosed so it wouldn’t feel right joining an autistics only forum. Good idea, though. Your profile says you’re self diagnosed too. Are you thinking about making up a platform for someone else?

I’m self diagnosed so it wouldn’t feel right joining an autistics only forum. Good idea, though. Your profile says you’re self diagnosed too. Are you thinking about making up a platform for someone else?

Anything I ever build for autism would be inclusive of self dx'ers. I would write it into the terms and conditions that the platform be inclusive, and if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

I'm actually officially diagnosed now, but I've not updated my profile. I don't believe it makes me more valid or autistic than you.

I'm not sure really. I have many great ideas waiting for the time to build them. I can build this, but would need a team to run it.

Assuming the platform worked a bit like Facebook, but not as messy with good UI, and only for us.

Does this mean you'd prefer for this website to be for autistics only? That's not meant to be in any way critical or hostile but wonder if I should be here.

I don't like how FB always demands a response, often many of them. All other fora that I belong to, I can add a comment if I have one, receive feedback or just lurk (and like), if I want to.

Facebook holds no appeal for me whatsoever so I'm not sure. I would check it out, though, if such a thing existed.

Nor me, but that's mostly awful site design and rubbish content.

Good design, and good content would change that for me.

Less corporate greed and superficial social manipulation would make it more appealing to me -- better design would be nice, too.

Oh, right.

I have no say in the matter, but I think you're welcome. A few NTs come here to learn about autism, and that's great.

I would definitely use a site like that. I do like this site though, and how well controlled it is. Not much slips through the cracks here due to vigilante mods and administrators. Its rather refreshing.

I would definitely use a site like that. I do like this site though, and how well controlled it is. Not much slips through the cracks here due to vigilante mods and administrators. Its rather refreshing.

This place is great - I was thinking more of a replacement for FB, Tumblr, Twitter etc.

Maybe I should make one, no I'm being serious it's not actually that difficult if I got a reasonable private server with DDOS protection, maybe OVH, it's getting people to use it that is more difficult as people come to a social media site that's just started and it's "what no-one is here, not signing up to this s**te" and if that happens there's always no-one there so it's a vicious circle that has to be broken somehow. Also moderating it and stopping bots / spam / attacks is a pita too. I've always hated social media however and I'd probably just hate an autistic social media site a little less lol!

I probably wouldn't, because I don't have any friends on the spectrum that aren't on these forums. I like the idea, but it wouldn't be for me.

Maybe I should make one, no I'm being serious it's not actually that difficult if I got a reasonable private server with DDOS protection, maybe OVH, it's getting people to use it that is more difficult as people come to a social media site that's just started and it's "what no-one is here, not signing up to this s**te" and if that happens there's always no-one there so it's a vicious circle that has to be broken somehow. Also moderating it and stopping bots / spam / attacks is a pita too. I've always hated social media however and I'd probably just hate an autistic social media site a little less lol!

I have reseller hosting so that's free and well protected with mod security, I'd use Cloudflare on top of that.

Wordpress as a platform with a membership plugin and probably Buddypress, locked down to private access.

Spam handling plugins, and my normal security stack.

I've built social platforms before using Lotus Domino and wondered why I was so interested in it, good at building it, but hated using it!

I'd use it.
This site here is great.
Only thing is I miss out on threads since I have a certain
time of the night I am here.
A FB type format would be nice also.
I'd use both.

I have to be surrounded by nts and so, it is an incredable relief to come here and feel, well, that I am not the odd one out and so, if it became just for us, I would love that. Although, there have been some really lovely nts frequenting here.

New Threads

Top Bottom