• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Worth getting a diagnosis - opinions?

They suggest that 80% of people over 32 are ASD on the AQ test.. That doesn't mean at 31 you definitively are not (you are just slightly under an 80% chance :D).. 16 is the average apparently.. So you're still pretty far up there..

I did that online AQ test and came out 31! Maddening!

Heres what said test scores are made up as

"
Interpreting Aspergers AQ Test Score
  • 11 – 21 is the average score for most of the population.
  • 22 – 25 Indicates that one has slightly higher than average autistic traits.
  • 26 – 31 Is a borderline score. 86% of people with this score have can be correctly classified as having Aspergers Syndrome.
  • 32+ Is the official criteria for having Aspergers Syndrome

• When the AQ tests was initially released the official score for having Asperger’s was 26 and this could provide effective diagnosis to 86% of the participants. However there were also a small percentage of people who scored 26 who would not classify for a more formal diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome. Because of this a score of 32 was introduced to reduce false positives in diagnosis and to make the test more suitable for the general population.

• We often get asked what a low score on the AQ means and what we can say is that this indicates a low level of autistic tendencies.

One thing to note is that that the symptoms of Aspergers and High Functioning Autism occur differently in men, some people have commented that this test is slightly less accurate for women. Generally it can be said is the women with AS or HFA score higher on this score than men.
    "
Interpreting Aspergers AQ Test Score - Aspergers Test Site

Further more the online test is NOT to be taken as a certain diagnose it is to give you a hint that it might be a good idea to search for a proper Evaluation

Last edited:
I am currently self diagnosed seeking a formal diagnosis through a mental health practitioner. One of my niche, self educating, hyper foci is human pathology and psychology. I can simply state that the signs were there all along. Since I seemed to cope relatively well, it was not an "issue." But I have issues. I get overstimulated by noise, light and social scenarios. I find sarcasm difficult at times and have been labelled and made fun of for being gullible. People have taken advantage of my default of trusting them. I stim. I process differently. I notice things many others do not. I have a hard time understanding nonverbal communication and cues. I struggle with eye contact. There are many things that make more sense when I place myself on the spectrum.

@Sarah S, thank you for posting that.
I consistently score 40+ on online for all the AQ testing. (41-47) As a female, I am just now coming to the common age range of diagnosis. For me, pursuing a diagnosis will only help me gain the resources and insight I may need through medical avenues. A diagnosis doesn't necessarily change me but it will change how to a pursue life in better, more meaningful, ways.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom